[comp.sys.laptops] How is your ZEOS?

ssingh@kean.ucs.mun.ca (10/16/90)

Hi there,
So finally the Zeos laptops are in the market. Can someone tell his
experiences with these machines apart from the the use of RAM beyond
640k which have been discussed on the net few days back.

I would also like to know about the quality of their gas plasma VGA
display.

By the way which display is more easy to eyes, gas plasma VGA or bklt
LCD VGA?

sanjay
ssingh@kean.ucs.mun.ca

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (10/21/90)

In article <145906@kean.ucs.mun.ca> ssingh@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>Hi there,
>So finally the Zeos laptops are in the market. Can someone tell his
>experiences with these machines apart from the the use of RAM beyond
>640k which have been discussed on the net few days back.
>
>I would also like to know about the quality of their gas plasma VGA
>display.
>
>By the way which display is more easy to eyes, gas plasma VGA or bklt
>LCD VGA?

I am a fairly happy owner of the ZEOS 386-DX20 laptop.. I am
also the one who originally posted the article about the 640K
stuff...

The screen *IS* a LCD backlit vga display and NOT plasa.. The
plasma is for their 386SX which has had massive production
problems and has been postponed until further notice..

As for the the display... LCD is easier on the eyes than PLASMA..
But it use to be that PLASMA handles SHADES better.. But NOT anymore..
The lcd display that the Zeos uses has excellent shading handling..
It uses some kind of special CIRRUS LOGIC stingray VGA chip designed
I think especially for LCD displays.. It's excellent.. Though
the ads say it has only 16 shades, I wonder if it really has 32...
The tech support says that their literature states 32 shades but
the ones to the public say 16.. I wonder 'cause their new
286 NOTEBOOK computer has *32* shade vga display  and I think
it's the same company making it (Taiwain based) so I think it
could really be a 32 shade display on the 386.. But I'm not
sure (I hafta to see the 32 shade myself..)

Overall a good computer but a bit heavy... Battery pack can NOT
be removed (internal).. Also the backlit fluroscent display seems
to be NON-UNIFORM... It seems brighter in the CENTER, thus producing
rather DIM areas in the corners.. I wonder if it's just my machine
and not others...

I would appreciate feedback from other Zeos users..
George

--
George Wang
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

teach@tc.fluke.COM (Dick Beier) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct21.051402.20842@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:

>The lcd display that the Zeos uses has excellent shading handling..
>It uses some kind of special CIRRUS LOGIC stingray VGA chip designed
>I think especially for LCD displays.. It's excellent.. Though
>the ads say it has only 16 shades, I wonder if it really has 32...
>The tech support says that their literature states 32 shades but
>the ones to the public say 16.. I wonder 'cause their new
>286 NOTEBOOK computer has *32* shade vga display  and I think
>it's the same company making it (Taiwain based) so I think it
>could really be a 32 shade display on the 386.. But I'm not
>sure (I hafta to see the 32 shade myself..)

I'm almost sure of it, George.  The display is just too crisp.  Even
comparing it with other LCD that are supposed to be 32 shades, my Zeos
386-20 is the firm winner.

>Overall a good computer but a bit heavy...

You can say that again!!!!

I think you may have a display problem, George.  I have examined my display
in various light conditions and at various intensities... No such problem
with the middle of the screen being light and the corners dark.

--
vax4/usr2/teach			MS# 239-D			Ph: x5908
Dick Beier . . . aka: Dicky-Poo . . . that's Mr. Poo to my enemies.  B-{)