[comp.sys.laptops] Need info on stuff for Model 102

gnn@elan.Elan.COM (George Neville-Neil) (11/15/90)

Hi Folks,

	I have now owned a Tandy (Gasp) Model 102 for about five
months now.  What I was wondering is what upgrades I can get and where
I can get them.  I work in Sillycon Valley so I figure there must be
someone (hopefully lots of someones) other than Radio Shack to buy
from.

	I have never bothered to get a modem cable as I have no wish
to go back to 300baud (which is what is internal to the machine) is
there an upgrade chip to go to 2400baud maybe ??  Currently I use an
external modem connected to the RS-232-C port on the back.

	Actually, although the machine has only 32K I find it
excellent.  I only use it to write rough drafts and keep phone and
calendar info but it's great, and it weighs in far under other DOS
type "real" laptops.  I know people like to trash Tandy a lot
(including me) but I find this machine to be excellent.

	Anyways...  If there are any reccomendations of where to go
and what to get they would be appreciated.

	Also, does someone have a termcap entry for the 102's term
program ??

				Thanks in Advance,

				George Neville-Neil
				gnn@elan.com

99681084@ucs.uwplatt.edu (11/19/90)

In article <880@elan.Elan.COM>, gnn@elan.Elan.COM (George Neville-Neil) writes:
> Hi Folks,
>
> 	I have now owned a Tandy (Gasp) Model 102 for about five
> months now.  What I was wondering is what upgrades I can get and where
> I can get them.  I work in Sillycon Valley so I figure there must be
> someone (hopefully lots of someones) other than Radio Shack to buy
> from.
>
> 	I have never bothered to get a modem cable as I have no wish
> to go back to 300baud (which is what is internal to the machine) is
> there an upgrade chip to go to 2400baud maybe ??  Currently I use an
> external modem connected to the RS-232-C port on the back.

   ( Parts removed to save space )

George,
   There isn't anyway to upgrade the internal modem of the model 100 or 102.
Basically, a lot of the hardware for the modem section of the computer is also
used for other functions, so givin the simplicity of 300 baud, Tandy just threw
it in for good measure.  300 baud uses frequency modulation, but faster modems
use pulse modulation, which uses entirely different hardware.
    In Portable Computing Magazine I saw a neat little external 2400 baud that
uses only phone line power and is about the size of a DB-25 (RS-232-C) plug.
    New England Computer Supply sells Tandy hardware and software for a lot
less, and in the case of the 100/102, they have most of the discontinued
software.  Sorry, but I can't seem to find their address, if I find it I'll
e-mail it to you.
    There is also a magazine called Portable 100 that handles the models 100,
102 (virtually the same machine) and the 200.  Once again, I'll have to find
that address for you too.

   If anyone has the addresses for either of those two companies or anybody
else in the Model 100 / 102 market, please e-mail me at the address below.

                                     Thanks much,

                                        / /~~~~~~~~/  \ Mike Gordon
                                        \ \~~~~~~~~\  / 99681084@uwplatt.edu