[comp.sys.laptops] Atari Portfolio

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) (01/13/90)

Anyone out there have an Atari Portfolio?  What do you like/dislike?
What kind of hardware/software would you like to see.

Thanks,
JOn.
--
                        /\                    ?               ________________
jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu \  ____   __       fgu             |.signature under|

fetrow@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (01/13/90)

In article <Jan.12.22.23.14.1990.9453@topaz.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) writes:

>Anyone out there have an Atari Portfolio?  What do you like/dislike?
>What kind of hardware/software would you like to see.

a personal diary-style computer. It's smaller and slightly heavier than a
VHS videotape and lists at $399. With moderate use the batteries lasted
me around 3 weeks (3 AA Alkalines). The operating system is DOS compatable
but not actually MS-DOS.

 The small amount of memory sans RAMcard (128K for 'disk' and workspace) is
a nonissue if you need only a small utility or two on the road. Since it
comes with a reasonable:

 Diary
 Setup program (How to handle the small screen options, how to divide up 128K)
 Screen editor
 Lotus 1-2-3 subset (!)
 Calculator
 LapLink(tm)-Like program (but not as good)
    ....in ROM already you may not need much else!

 DOS compatability is pretty good (I'd say 'excellent' except I haven't had it)
(all that long yet), the screen is readable in decent light, the keyboard is
useable and well layed out but touch-typing isn't possible with hands my size
(I use about 3 fingers and one thumb on the Atari). Note that to make the most
of the memory TSR versions of utilities might be a good idea; I haven't tried
that yet.

 Serial and Parallel ports are extra cost and make it longer. The connector
is tiny but seems pretty decent and is well protected.

 It is sturdely constructed (not quite HP class) but dust can get in unless
you have a RAM card filling the hole in the side. (Rather expensive battery-
backed RAM cards take the place of floppies. They are quite fast however)

 Downside as a personal Diary-style computer: Like most of them you have to open
it to read the screen when an alarm goes off. This is annoying to me after
using the Psion Organizer. The Alarm is the big downer though....it is far too
quiet when the machine is closed and in a pocket to hear.

 To be frank; I bought the Atari because it was too cool to pass up. I realize
this isn't all that "valid" a reason but it's FUN! In any case if my
hearing hadn't been damaged from too much time around mainframes and I had to
pick just one laptop to carry (for under $700) this would probably be it.

 (Note: My perspective is a guy who uses a whole pile of sometimes quirky
machines. Mostly I use my laptops as terminals or to run home-grown software
under 64K. Someone who wants to program in C or run a fullblown wordprocessor
on their laptop should look elsewhere)

 If you expanded it out to something like the Poquet you'd have something rather
larger and in the same ballpark costwise so it might not be a great choice if
that's your plan. Future models will no dount have more built-in RAM.

 Note to programmers: If you miss tight assembly coding this may be the machine
to write for! Small useful software tools (especially if it has a TSR option)
would be appreciated among folks owning these machines (also the Poquet and
Floppy-only laptop owners).

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions not UW gospel or anything. I don't own
            the serial port or a RAM card yet.

--
 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu
 dfetrow@uwalocke (bitnet)         {uunet}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!fetrow

    "CP/M: Remember when fast, small, useful and clean were good?"

butcher@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu (David Butcher ) (01/13/90)

  I recently got to test drive a Portfolio for about 2 months. In my opinion,
I think it's brain dead. I am, however, looking forward to the next version of
the Portfolio, it has a lot of promise. It comes stock with 28K of memory and
the screen is half the size of normal. The little 128K rom cards cost about
$100.00 each and there's only room for one. It came with a LapLink type
utility to download programs from a PC into the Portfolio which was handy, but
ran down the batteries. After about an hour of use the Portfolio's batteries
died out. Unfortunately, they're non-rechargable. The keyboard is usuable only
if you have tiny fingers. It comes with no graphics capabilities and the phone
dialing utility is too quiet. Only after about five tries was I able to get my
phone to recognize it. I don't remember what version of DOS it had, but it was
very similar to DOS 2.0.
  On the plus side, it is SMALL and cheap. Compared to the Poquet, it's a
steal for what you get. The keyboard is better then the Poquet. It's too bad
the screen is half size and the batteries have such a short life.  They
provide a utility to mimic a full screen, but it ain't the same!

Steve
butcher@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (01/15/90)

In article <7696@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> butcher@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu.UCSD.EDU (David Butcher (Ugrad_Guest_FB)) writes:

>  I recently got to test drive a Portfolio for about 2 months. In my opinion,
>I think it's brain dead. I am, however, looking forward to the next version of
>the Portfolio, it has a lot of promise. It comes stock with 28K of memory and
>the screen is half the size of normal. The little 128K rom cards cost about

What???!!! The current Portfolio has 128K.  Plenty for me so far.

>$100.00 each and there's only room for one. It came with a LapLink type
>utility to download programs from a PC into the Portfolio which was handy, but
>ran down the batteries. After about an hour of use the Portfolio's batteries
>died out. Unfortunately, they're non-rechargable. The keyboard is usuable only

What???!!!  I have had mine for two months, probably 80-100 hours of actual
computing time.  You probably should have tried new batteries.

>if you have tiny fingers. It comes with no graphics capabilities and the phone
>dialing utility is too quiet. Only after about five tries was I able to get my

Agreed.

>phone to recognize it. I don't remember what version of DOS it had, but it was
>very similar to DOS 2.0.
>  On the plus side, it is SMALL and cheap. Compared to the Poquet, it's a
>steal for what you get. The keyboard is better then the Poquet. It's too bad

Agreed again.

>the screen is half size and the batteries have such a short life.  They
>provide a utility to mimic a full screen, but it ain't the same!

But its not bad given its size, weight, and cost.

Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INET:bdahlen@du.edu BITNET:bdahlen@ducair UUCP:ncar!dunike!bdahlen

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/16/90)

In article <12613@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
> In article <7696@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> butcher@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu.UCSD.EDU (David Butcher (Ugrad_Guest_FB)) writes:
>>                          It comes with no graphics capabilities...
>
> Agreed.

DISAGREED! If you use BIOS calls and don't try to write the damn screen
memory directly, you can do graphics all you want.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

boutell@toffee.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) (01/18/90)

In article <16729@cc.usu.edu> SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
>In article <12613@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
>> In article <7696@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> butcher@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu.UCSD.EDU (David Butcher (Ugrad_Guest_FB)) writes:
>>>                          It comes with no graphics capabilities...
>>
>> Agreed.
>>

>DISAGREED! If you use BIOS calls and don't try to write the damn screen
>memory directly, you can do graphics all you want.

Oh come on! You're right to correct his statement that there are no graphics
capabilities, if it does indeed have some, but doing graphics by direct
screen writing is a given and the world knows it. You just CAN'T get
effective graphics done by calling biossetpixel!!! Not unless you don't
mind waiting... a.... very... long... time. Essentially, if it won't
effectively run standard graphics software, it might as well have NO
graphics capabilities for the non- programmer.

"It is sometimes necessary to go a long way out of one's way to come back
a short distance correctly." - Edward Albee
"The average price of leechee nuts in Guatemala is the price of your soul!"
- Theatresports Troupe, West End

butcher@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu (David Butcher ) (01/18/90)

Roger,

   Have you tried it? It doesn't work on the Portfolio at least the one that
Atari gave to me. Ansi ESC codes don't work either. SInce Atari chose a
smaller screen for it's Portfolio the normal BIOS writing does not work as
expected.

Steve

STRAUS@applelink.apple.com (Jim Straus) (01/19/90)

In article <7712@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> butcher@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu (David Butcher
) writes:
>    Have you tried it? It doesn't work on the Portfolio at least the one
that
> Atari gave to me. Ansi ESC codes don't work either. SInce Atari chose a
> smaller screen for it's Portfolio the normal BIOS writing does not work
as
> expected.

I have tried it.  The IBM ROM BIOS call SetPixel works just fine.  (GetPixel
doesn't though, but you can retrieve the value by looking in the RAM screen
image).  Do note that you have to kick the screen into graphics mode first.  I
have written a small tetris like game using the graphics and it is speedy
enough for that.

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/19/90)

In article <8517@nigel.udel.EDU>, boutell@toffee.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:
> In article <16729@cc.usu.edu> SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
>
>>DISAGREED! If you use BIOS calls and don't try to write the damn screen
>>memory directly, you can do graphics all you want.
>>
> Oh come on! You're right to correct his statement that there are no graphics
> capabilities, if it does indeed have some, but doing graphics by direct
> screen writing is a given and the world knows it.

Boy I'm sure glad we no longer live in the days of CP/M where you could
have a WIDE VARIETY of hardware run the SAME PROGRAM without having to worry
about knowing internal details about the machine it's running on.

Clones, clones, boring clones...

(sorry, it had to be said)

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/21/90)

In article <7712@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, butcher@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu (David Butcher ) writes:
>    Have you tried it? It doesn't work on the Portfolio at least the one that
> Atari gave to me. Ansi ESC codes don't work either. SInce Atari chose a
> smaller screen for it's Portfolio the normal BIOS writing does not work as
> expected.

I've not done extensive work with my Portfolio yet; I've only had it a short
time and have been busy with other things. But I did write a small program
that turned on a single pixel.

Use BIOS calls to put the screen in 40x25 graphics mode and use the
set pixel routines. My Portfolio is elsewhere at the moment, so I don't
have my source handy. It's a small assembler routine that does just that.

The normal BIOS writing works as expected (in my minimal experience) if
you bear in mind that the screen is only 40x8. The screen is run in
40x25 text mode by default.

I'm also a bit torqued that they didn't give us any escape sequences to
run the screen. I plan to write a TSR that takes over the write in
teletype mode BIOS function to give some simple escape sequences. That
way, I should be able to take old, small, generic DOS programs from my
Rainbow and install them to run on the Portfolio without the funky
refresh settings.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

hercules@hera.Eng.Sun.COM (Jonathan Simonoff) (07/31/90)

The Good Guys has a full page add today for a Portfolio
for $398, including a "parellel interface for connection
to a PC" and a 32K memory storage card.  They also have
an Optional Utility Card or Financial Card Portfolio for
$89 each.

First, how are these prices?

Second, I have a Mac, not a PC, so I don't have a normal
parellel port.  Can I still upload from a Portfolio to my
Mac?  Do I need to buy a serial port option or something
like that?

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (08/02/90)

hercules@hera.Eng.Sun.COM (Jonathan Simonoff) writes:

>The Good Guys has a full page add today for a Portfolio
>for $398, including a "parellel interface for connection
>to a PC" and a 32K memory storage card.  They also have
>an Optional Utility Card or Financial Card Portfolio for
>$89 each.
>First, how are these prices?
>Second, I have a Mac, not a PC, so I don't have a normal
>parellel port.  Can I still upload from a Portfolio to my
>Mac?  Do I need to buy a serial port option or something
>like that?

I'm still in the 'palm-top' want-to-be stage.   From the CompuServe
Portfolio forum, it looked like J&R Music or E 33rd Typewriter had the
best prices.   Some of the numbers were J&R= $299 including port.,
32K RAM card, and Parallel interface.  I have not confirmed prices and
I would expect them to be pretty dynamic considering competition.  A
call to the Atari hotline indicated that they have a summer special
going on now where the port. is being sold with the 32K and Parallel
interface included in the regular price.  Post locations of places
you find better deals.   (JR is 800-221-8180 and was listed on CI$ as
having a good reputation).
hb

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/07/90)

In article <139802@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, hercules@hera.Eng.Sun.COM (Jonathan Simonoff) writes:
> The Good Guys has a full page add today for a Portfolio
> for $398, including a "parellel interface for connection
> to a PC" and a 32K memory storage card.  They also have
> an Optional Utility Card or Financial Card Portfolio for
> $89 each.
>
> First, how are these prices?

Seem good to me. I bought my Portfolio for $399 about Christmas and had
to pay extra for the parallel port.

> Second, I have a Mac, not a PC, so I don't have a normal
> parellel port.  Can I still upload from a Portfolio to my
> Mac?  Do I need to buy a serial port option or something
> like that?

Atari does not provide software to use the serial port for downloading
and uploading stuff. So you'll have to find a friend with a PC that you
can use to get the serial port transfer software that can talk to your
mac to the Atari.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

jims@momenta (Jim Straus) (08/08/90)

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:

>> Second, I have a Mac, not a PC, so I don't have a normal
>> parellel port.  Can I still upload from a Portfolio to my
>> Mac?  Do I need to buy a serial port option or something
>> like that?

>Atari does not provide software to use the serial port for downloading
>and uploading stuff. So you'll have to find a friend with a PC that you
>can use to get the serial port transfer software that can talk to your
>mac to the Atari.
>--
>Roger Ivie

That is not true.  There is XTerm2, which is a public domain terminal program
with XModem file transfer for the Portfolio.  It works fine with the Mac.
You will just need to purchase or build an appropriate cable and use some
simple terminal program on the Mac side.  XTerm is available through many
dealers, bulletin boards, Compuserve, and GEnie to name a few.  Atari also
sells it on one of their utility cards.

-Jim Straus

esteban@apollo.HP.COM (Steven Fernandez) (08/24/90)

Is the Atari Portfolio a PC compatible.  Will it actually run things like
procomm?  Can I connect a modem to it?  How much does it cost? Does
anybody know of a retailer in the Boston area that carries it?

			Thanks

			Steve

 Steven Fernandez                      esteban@apollo.hp.com
 Hewlett Packard, Apollo Division
 Chelmsford, MA 01824

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/30/90)

In article <4c64bfa6.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, esteban@apollo.HP.COM (Steven Fernandez) writes:
> Is the Atari Portfolio a PC compatible.  Will it actually run things like
> procomm?

The Atari Portfolio is compatible only at the BIOS level. Most comm software
that I've come across talks directly to the hardware and therefore will not
run on it.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

abl@tempo.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) (11/17/90)

Last week I asked for some Atari Portfolio info, especially
with respect to Mac/PC interfacing.  Besides the postings
that showed up here, I got mail from three people. I can't
quote them directly (I had a fit of sleepy incompetence, best
left unmentioned), but the conclusions are:

1- For PC connections, it's best to go with the parallel interface
  option (on special offer in some ads).
2- The Portfolio is also a good notebook for a Mac. There's a comm
  program (in hqx form) floating around.
3- There's a free terminal program, available from an Atari BBS,
  as good as the commercial stuff.
4- I've yet to hear from disappointed users.  Every owner seems to
  like it, within its limitations, for the sheer portability.

I called up J&R Music/Electronics/whatever World (1-800-221-8180).
They're selling the Portfolio for $250 and the serial option for $50.

I also called up Atari (1-800-443-8020).  They advertise the Portfolio for
$400, with a "$129 bonus" thrown in (32K mem card + smart par. interface).
I asked them for product literature, especially on the options, but all
they sent me was a glossy flyer.  It does show a picture of a Portfolio
with an expander (about a third of the 'folio size) attached on the right
side. They also mention (future ?) availability of card drives for
other machines, so that you can take the Portfolio's mem. cards and
read them from a PC.

I'm giving it a pause, while the news from the current Comdex break.
And, looking at the pictures of LCD screens, I realized I still hate
the font they use on PCs.  It's not that they are monospaced (I like
monospaced text), but the characters are just plumb ugly and hard to
read.  Spoiled by VT-100s, I guess ;-)

--
Antonio B. Leal			Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Bell: [412] 268-2937		Carnegie Mellon University

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) (11/17/90)

I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

If you are thinking about typing info into the Portfolio, you might
want to try one out for some time before making a buy. My experiment
resulted in amazing cramps.

The Portfolio is the right weight though - I doubt I will find
anything else that is so easy to carry around.

Bob Wilhelm

Rockwell Science Center
wilhelm@rpal.com
(415)325-0253

jmc10392@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey M Cortez) (11/17/90)

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:

>The Portfolio is the right weight though - I doubt I will find
>anything else that is so easy to carry around.

Try out the Tandy 102.  I know it is not IBM compatible, and it
only has 32K of memory, but it is lighter than most books and hook
it up to an IBM with Laplink and it is great for doing field typing
and data gathering.  This computer is not for everyone, but it is
has worked well for me.

Jeff Cortez
jmc10392@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/18/90)

In article <WILHELM.90Nov16120043@carbon.elements.rpal.com>, wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:
> I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
> 1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
> with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
> the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
> hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

Actually, I find that if you hold the machine in your hands such that your
fingers are behind the machine and you are typing with your two thumbs, the
machine is quite useful. I find that I can actually touch-type that way; not
fast, but effective.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

powers@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers ) (11/19/90)

abl@tempo.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) writes:

>Last week I asked for some Atari Portfolio info, especially
>with respect to Mac/PC interfacing.  Besides the postings
>that showed up here, I got mail from three people. I can't
>quote them directly (I had a fit of sleepy incompetence, best
>left unmentioned), but the conclusions are:

>1- For PC connections, it's best to go with the parallel interface
>  option (on special offer in some ads).
>2- The Portfolio is also a good notebook for a Mac. There's a comm
>  program (in hqx form) floating around.
>3- There's a free terminal program, available from an Atari BBS,
>  as good as the commercial stuff.
>4- I've yet to hear from disappointed users.  Every owner seems to
>  like it, within its limitations, for the sheer portability.

I agree with 1 and 4 - but am currently in a totally MAC (no PCs)
environment and would desparately love to get hold of 2 - any
clues, ftp addresses, etc.?

David Powers		 +49-631/205-3449 (Uni);  +49-631/205-3200 (Fax)
FB Informatik		powers@informatik.uni-kl.de; +49-631/13786 (Prv)
Univ Kaiserslautern	 * COMPULOG - Language and Logic
6750 KAISERSLAUTERN	 * MARPIA   - Parallel Logic Programming
WEST GERMANY		 * STANLIE  - Natural Language Learning

Riddle:		What is the difference between the university and me.
Disclaimer:	My opinion.

powers@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers ) (11/19/90)

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:

>I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
>1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
>with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
>the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
>hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

>If you are thinking about typing info into the Portfolio, you might
>want to try one out for some time before making a buy. My experiment
>resulted in amazing cramps.

I have written entire (published) articles on the Portfolio.  As a
touch typist it slow me down somewhat, and after several HOURS I
find I get cramps.  My biggest problem was the recessing of the
keyboard - my flat thumb led to missed spaces at first.  But I
would say I still achieve 80% throughput.

I originally wanted a POQET - but for ten times the outlay and
after hearing bad reports on its keyboard, I'm not so sure.  I am
beginning to think the calculator style keys of the PORTFOLIO were
a good choice as it allows more clearance for big fingers than on
the POQET.