[comp.sys.laptops] Bigger drives for Toshibas

nfs@cs.Princeton.EDU (Norbert Schlenker) (11/23/90)

In article <1223@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> steve@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Stephen C. Wong) writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>I have a Toshiba 5100 with a 40 megabyte hard drive.  A while
>back, Toshiba sent me information about a 100 megabyte hard
>drive upgrade offer.  When I called and inquired about the
>cost, they told me it was $1499.00.  It is fair to say that
>I did not take them up on the offer.
>
>However, I still would like to install a bigger drive in my
>Toshiba.  Does anyone have any information on how I can do
>this without going through Toshiba?  The cost is important
>to me.  Are there any vendors that would sell me the drive kit
>so I can perform the installation myself?

You can do the upgrade yourself with a screwdriver, a pair of
tweezers, a little bit of cash, and up to date BIOS ROMs from Toshiba.
You also need to be willing to void any warranty you have, and to take
the risk that you will break something that must be fixed by an
authorized repair shop.

That said, I'm happy to say that I upgraded my T5100 myself.  Even a
fumble fingered dolt like me managed to replace the drive with a
Conner CP3104, and I certainly appreciate the extra space.

The new drive is obtainable from numerous mail order supply houses
(recent prices are $550-$600, methinks).  I bought mine from Hard
Drives International; I have heard good things about Dirt Cheap Drives
as well.  Your local Conner distributor may also be a good bet - when
I upgraded, they quoted me the best price (but had no stock).

You must get up to date ROMs from Toshiba.  At the least, the ROMs
must support the CP3104.  When I began, my ROMs said they did.  After
replacing the drive, the machine would intermittently freeze with the
disk light on steadily.  As this happened only under DOS, and not with
protected mode operating systems, the ROMs were an obvious suspect.
Toshiba admitted to a timing problem with the ROMs I had, and sent
replacements when I asked (nicely).

Norbert

billd@informix.com (William Daul) (11/23/90)

Do dealers take trade-ins?  What kind of prices (percent-wise)
do they give?  Any ideas where in the SF Bay Area they might
take trade-ins?

Thanks,  --Bi((