[comp.sys.laptops] <None>

trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/30/90)

In article <160670@kean.ucs.mun.ca>, abraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (ABE ROSS) writes:
> Has anyone run into any problems using a laptop on the seat-back table
> on airplanes?  The first time I ever travelled with the laptop the
> stewardess told me that on some planes these tables were magnetized to keep
> things from slipping around on them and that the magnetization might
> affect the hard disk.  Magntizing the table didn't make much sense
> since most of the plates, etc. are plastic.  But, I didn't want to
> test her advice.  Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Sounds a bit like the proverbial Newfie joke - sure you were not travelling
on Air Canada?!!  Joking apart, my experience has been varied.  I have
been asked to cease and desist on some occasions so now ask the flight
attendant if the airline approves.  Usually you will get the OK.  The fear
is that the E-M radiation from the lap-top will affect the navigational
gear but the large majority of lap-tops are well within Canadian and
US limits for this sort of thing and no interference can be expected -
intereference of the navi-gear that is, not intereference by the ever
vigilant flight attendant!

--

Trevor Cradduck,                |  Phone: (519) 667-6574
Department of Nuclear Medicine, |  FAX: (519) 667-6734