[comp.sys.laptops] B.O.S.S or Wizard, etc

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) (11/26/90)

Can anyone make any recommendations or warnings about these type of
pocket appointment and phone gadgets.  I want one with a serial port
and standard IBM software to download addresses and maybe
appointments.

On a different note what is the current buzz word for those things, or
should we make one.  Here is the progression I've heard:

Luggable -> Lunchbox -> Laptop -> Palmtop -> .... Fingertiptop? .. Pocket?

-Pete   beckman@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (11/27/90)

>(Peter Beckman)
>Can anyone make any recommendations or warnings about these type of
>pocket appointment and phone gadgets.  I want one with a serial port
>and standard IBM software to download addresses and maybe
>appointments.

I chose a BOSS 8000 over a Wizard. The BOSS is optimized to be
an electronic DayTimer (TM). It fits in my shirt pocket.
The Wizard does not. That makes all the difference in the world.
The BOSS has a qwerty key layout. The Wizard is alphabetic which
is the worst of all worlds for a key layout.

The current top of the line BOSS has the same ability as the Wizard
if you are looking for something more than a Daytimer.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP CPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/28/90)

I have a Sharp Wizard (IQ7000) and have been very pleased with it.  It acts
as my schedule book and daily reminder as well as phone book and alarm
clock.  I do not think the interface with a PC is worth it - I have the PC
Link but have hardly used it and find it much more convenient to enter or
delete the data directly on the IQ7000.  The IQ7000 does not have a QWERTY
keyboard but newer models do - there is a ZQ series and now a new IQ8000
series which is much better.  These include a time management program
similar to that which was previously available on a plug-in card for the
7000 series.

I cannot comment on the BOSS.
--

Trevor Cradduck,                |  Phone: (519) 667-6574
Department of Nuclear Medicine, |  FAX: (519) 667-6734

mathew@mantis.UUCP (mathew) (11/28/90)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
> I chose a BOSS 8000 over a Wizard. The BOSS is optimized to be
> an electronic DayTimer (TM). It fits in my shirt pocket.
> The Wizard does not. That makes all the difference in the world.
> The BOSS has a qwerty key layout. The Wizard is alphabetic which
> is the worst of all worlds for a key layout.

From "Human-Computer Interaction" (INTERACT '90 conference proceedings):

   KEYBOARD LAYOUT FOR OCCASIONAL USERS

   Nicolas MARMARAS and Kostas LYRITZIS
   Technical University of Crete, Greece

   The present study is a first attempt to solve the problem of keyboard
   layout for occasional users of computer-based systems. [...]  The
   keyboard arrangements tested were the alphabetical diagonal, the
   alphabetical horizontal, the standard Greek keyboard which is similar
   to the QWERTY layout, and a new alternative Greek keyboard designed
   for typists.

   The obtained results showed that the alphabetical diagonal
   arrangement achieved better typing speed rates, and that the
   differences between typing rates achieved with the other three
   layouts are practically insignificant.

So for people who don't use computers much (i.e., those who might be expected
to buy a Sharp personal organizer) an alphabetic keyboard is no worse than
QWERTY, and probably somewhat better.

mathew.

P.S. Me? I use a Microwriter.
--
Mantis Consultants, Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge. CB4 4WS.
   "CP/M is to metric as cockroaches are to a Timex watch" - booter@catnip

marmen@bwdla31.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (11/28/90)

In article <74420@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) writes:
> Can anyone make any recommendations or warnings about these type of
> pocket appointment and phone gadgets.

I bought the Sharp ZQ-5300M which is a stripped down wizard. One feature that
I found especially usefull was the three telephone directories. I have mine
setup as personal, business, and internal (company specific). The ability to cut and
paste, as well as edit scheduled dates is very nice, but I suspect CASIO has these
features as well.

I also have the organizer link. However, I use it to BACKUP my organizer
to my PC which I regularly backup. After entering all that data, I do not want
to re-enter it in case of loss or damage. I fully expect to 'toast' one of
these organizers in three years. It fits in my shirtpocket and goes everywhere.
Hence, the likelyhood of loss or damage. Another option is two organizers to
back each other up, but the link package is probably cheaper.

My own personal opinion is that both companies make good products. The decision of
which to choose depends entirely on your requirements, feelings and availability
of cash. I have not met anyone who has had a bad experience with them.

regards,

rob...

| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (11/30/90)

>mathew@mantis.UUCP
>   The obtained results showed that the alphabetical diagonal
>   arrangement achieved better typing speed rates, and that the
>   differences between typing rates achieved with the other three
>   layouts are practically insignificant.
>
>So for people who don't use computers much (i.e., those who might be expected
>to buy a Sharp personal organizer) an alphabetic keyboard is no worse than
>QWERTY, and probably somewhat better.

The alphabetic layout on the Wizard is NOT a diagonal
alphabetic layout. This result only shows the key layout of the
Wizard is a minus. You have to learn a new key layout that
makes no difference in speed over a qwerty layout that everyone
already knows.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP CPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

marmen@bwdla31.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (12/01/90)

There seems to be a lot of intense discussion about alphabetic versus
qwerty style keyboards. However, recent announcements in both pc laptop
portable computer review, have stated that sharp now carries models with
qwerty keyboards. For example, my sharp zq-5300m has a qwerty keyboard.

With respect to the original posting, you can now compare the features of
the casio with a qwerty sharp model. The keyboard does not have to be a
decisive issue. You no longer need to compare apples and oranges.

Now back to which keyboard is best.....

cheers,

rob...

| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

sandin@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Dan Sandin) (12/01/90)

with reference to the alpha keyboard on Wizard:

I have the OZ-7000 w/ alpha keyboard, and I am actually rather fond
of it. In fact, the biggest problem with the new upgrade "superwizard"
is the Qwerty keyboard (though it is big enough to be useful for
real writing).

However, as an organizer, the ABCD layout is perfect for one-handed
typing. Try typing onehanded on standard qwerty. A real pain.

Organizer in left hand, type with the right, it really makes
a lot more sense then typing qwerty with one hand or putting the
damn thing down on a desk to type. Much easier to enter data while
driving (use one hand with wizard on passenger seat or use both
hands and drive with knees :) ) or while walking.

stephan meyers c/o sandin@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu

mathew@mantis.UUCP (mathew) (12/03/90)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
> >mathew@mantis.UUCP
> >   The obtained results showed that the alphabetical diagonal
> >   arrangement achieved better typing speed rates, and that the
> >   differences between typing rates achieved with the other three
> >   layouts are practically insignificant.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >So for people who don't use computers much (i.e., those who might be expecte
> >to buy a Sharp personal organizer) an alphabetic keyboard is no worse than
                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >QWERTY, and probably somewhat better.
>
> The alphabetic layout on the Wizard is NOT a diagonal
> alphabetic layout. This result only shows the key layout of the
> Wizard is a minus. You have to learn a new key layout that
> makes no difference in speed over a qwerty layout that everyone
> already knows.

was no worse than QWERTY, which is a statement directly supported by
the report.

I then said it was "probably somewhat better". Reason 1: The rows of
keys on the Sharp are narrower than the layout tried in the above
tests -- that is, there are fewer keys in each row. Personal
experience shows that that helps when finding keys. I would therefore
expect slightly better results from the Sharp keyboard than from the
horizontal alphabetic keyboard tried in the tests.  Reason 2: Many
naive users are actively put off by the initial appearance of a
QWERTY layout, and initial appeal is an important factor when you're
trying to sell a pocket computer. Consider the AgendA - it still has
an alphabetic keyboard to reassure people, even though such a keyboard
is completely redundant.

mathew.
--

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (12/06/90)

>was no worse than QWERTY, which is a statement directly supported by
>the report.
>
>mathew.

that is no better than qwerty according to your posting. That is a
waste of effort. The time spent hunting for keys decreases your
productivity. Until you learn the key layout the alphabetic layout
is less productive. When you finally learn the layout your productivity
only goes back up to what it would have been from the beginning with
a qwerty layout. This is not a sensible decision.

			   Danny Low
	        California Personal Computer Division
               dlow@hpspcoi   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow
		       HP4200/29 720-3622

mathew@mantis.UUCP (mathew) (12/07/90)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
> >was no worse than QWERTY, which is a statement directly supported by
> >the report.

> that is no better than qwerty according to your posting. That is a
> waste of effort.

Only if you already know QWERTY!  Remember, this is a *Personal
Organizer*. Most people who use personal organizers are not typists!

Now, if you can show that learning QWERTY is faster than learning alphabetic,
you'll have a point. But I suspect that for the beginner, alphabetic is
quicker to learn.

[ Of course, Microwriting is quicker still. You can be touch-typing in two
  hours. So even if QWERTY *were* better than alphabetic, it would still be a
  poor decision for a portable machine. ]

You also have to remember that beginners say they find QWERTY intimidating,
whereas they don't mind alphabetic. This is why Speak and Spell machines don't
use typewriter layout!

Look, I personally would prefer a QWERTY keyboard to an alphabetic one;
however, that's because I can type on QWERTY. I was trying to explain the
sort of reasoning which leads to pocket machines having alphabetic keyboards;
it isn't just stupidity, there *are* good reasons.

mathew.