[comp.sys.laptops] Info on T-1000 LE

A6014LHG@HASARA11.BITNET (Leo Geesink) (12/04/90)

I am interested in buying a T-1000 LE. Does anybody has any experiences
with this laptop? Is the screen as good as Toshiba claims? I mean: good
enough to use for a few hours continously?

Thanks in advance

Leo

Leo Geesink                   |  bitnet  : A6014LHG@HASARA11
University of Amsterdam       |  internet: GEESINK@SARA.NL
Dept. of Information Systems

shannon@luap.cs.indiana.edu (Greg Shannon) (12/04/90)

I have a T1000SE, and the screen is just fine for long sessions
as long as the surrounding light isn't too bright.
I tried working on it in the car on a sunny day with no luck,
but I suspect that that's true of most any screen.
It's very easy to use when it's completely dark,
if you're a good touch typer.

Greg Shannon
Indiana University

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (12/05/90)

> I am interested in buying a T-1000 LE. Does anybody has any experiences
> with this laptop?

I don't have experience with the T1000LE, but I do own a T1000XE,
which is essentially the same machine minus the internal floppy drive.
The only negative thing I can say about it is that the processor is
only an 8086.  If you don't need heavy-duty computing power on the go,
the T1000SE/XE/LE is an excellent choice.

> Is the screen as good as Toshiba claims? I mean: good
> enough to use for a few hours continously?

Yes.  The screen is one of the machine's best features.  It's clear,
crisp, high contrast, and you can choose either a thin or bold font
for the text.  There is also a special 640x400 monochrome graphics
mode which supports AT&T 6300 monochrome graphics, and the display has
perfectly square pixels.

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"It is amazing how a weekend at a hotel or motel--or even a camping
 weekend without the children--can make a wife feel like a mistress
 and a husband treat her that way."

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (12/07/90)

Leo Geesink asks:

> I am interested in buying a T-1000 LE. Does anybody has any experiences
> with this laptop?

I got mine today, actually!  I had a 1000SE for about five months and
really liked it a lot.  I added a 2MB RAM card (for a total of 3MB, 2.3
of which I used as a RAM disk) and a 2400 baud internal modem (which
was a bit iffy; since it doesn't recognize the Toshiba Modem Power Off
option setting, it caused my battery to drain to dead faster than I
would have liked).

The 1000LE is all that the SE was plus a 20MB hard disk.  In addition,
there is now a slot for a second battery card (on the left side, under
where the screen rests) which gives a total theoretical battery life
of just over five hours (rather than the three hours on the big main
battery on the back, which was all the SE and XE had too).

The screen, as Michael Portuesi has reported, is indeed terrific.  I
have used my SE as a portable word processing system at hotels throughout
the United States without any difficulty at all.  Further, since my
demands are quite low (MKS "vi" is mostly what I use now, actually, of
all things!) the power of the 80C86 chip is quite sufficient for my
needs.

I strongly recommend the Toshiba 1000 line and find no drawbacks at all
with the product, especially as mine is sufficiently rugged that it has
survived quite a bit of travelling, including being shoved under seats
in airplanes innumerable times.

[one of the problems I forsee with lots of the new 286/386 laptops from
 these random third party places is that they're just not rugged enough
 to survive the bashing that they get out in the real world.  If you use
 it as a travel computer as I do, then you might well want to be rather
 harsh on your strength criteria; check out how solid the screen shell
 is, how firmly attached to the main unit it is, how well the periphs
 stay in, whether it can be jarred, dropped, etc. etc.  Just don't break
 it at the store and blame me! :-) ]
						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

kroe@sbgrad2.cs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) (12/08/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Dec5105152@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I don't have experience with the T1000LE, but I do own a T1000XE,
>which is essentially the same machine minus the internal floppy drive.
>
>> Is the screen as good as Toshiba claims? I mean: good
>> enough to use for a few hours continously?
>
>Yes.  The screen is one of the machine's best features.  It's clear,
>crisp, high contrast, and you can choose either a thin or bold font
>for the text.

Since Michael doesn't own a T1000LE, I assume he's praising the screen
on the T1000XE.  Well, what he said about the XE screen goes double for
the LE screen.  The 1000LE has the same sidelit screen that the 1200XE
has, and it's even brighter and clearer than the SE/XE screen.  You
should experience no difficulty using it for a few hours continously.
--
KiYun Roe					kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu
Department of Computer Science