[comp.sys.laptops] Airis VH-286

mccreary@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MCCREARY SEAN) (12/10/90)

Does anyone have any information on Airis laptops?  Other than the
preview in BYTE and the company's brochure I have no info.  If anyone
actually has one, I am very curious about the putative performance
numbers given in BYTE (are they actually that good?) and how readable
the screen is.  Also, does the keyboard have good tactile feedback.
I called the company in mid-November, and they said the machine was not
yet in production, but that they had an order backlog until February.
If someone gets one soon, let us know about it!

						Sean McCreary

hocker1a@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (Craig Gary) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec10.071125.25073@csn.org>, mccreary@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MCCREARY SEAN) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on Airis laptops?  Other than the
>preview in BYTE and the company's brochure I have no info.  If anyone
>actually has one, I am very curious about the putative performance
>numbers given in BYTE (are they actually that good?) and how readable
>the screen is.  Also, does the keyboard have good tactile feedback.
>I called the company in mid-November, and they said the machine was not
>yet in production, but that they had an order backlog until February.
>If someone gets one soon, let us know about it!
>
>						Sean McCreary

 That's interesting that they told you in mid-November that it was not yet in
production. When I read about the Airis machine in BYTE back in August, I
called them up and they said it was not due to go into production till
mid-September. Instead of reserving an order, I decided to continue looking for
a while because I was in no hurry at the time. In the latter part of September,
I called them back to ask a few technical questions and they informed me that
the date for beginning production had been moved to mid-October. Well by this
time the ZEOS notebook was being advertised, so I spent sometime checking into
that company. When I made a final call in the middle of October to Airis, I was
told that production would not begin till mid-November (with an order backlog
till the end of December). Well by this time warning bells are going off in
my head, since I had already read that for monetary problems the original June
shipping date had been moved to August, so these delays had been going on for
a half a year. I really think the Airis machine is better than the Zeos 286
notebook on PAPER, but I already have had the ZEOS machine since the end of
October and used it over Thanksgiving (on American Airlines) and am quite happy
with it. It has no numeric coprocessor slot and not as long a battery life, but
at least the FD is built into the machine ( ~7lbs.) and I know the company will
still be around next year with full support. (However, I still don't have the
modem because ZEOS didn't get all the paperwork for FCC approval through and
done with till the end of November. I am supposed to get the modem card any
day now.)

-Craig Hocker

  Dynamical Systems Group      /    |     Craig Hocker
  Chemistry Department      - ~ -   |  bitnet: hocker1@brandeis
                             /      |internet: hocker1@binah.cc.brandeis.edu