[comp.sys.laptops] X-rays and laptops

afinlayson@kean.ucs.mun.ca (12/13/90)

Guy Saffold and Brian L. Kahn both report no deleterious consequences
from running their machines and data disks through airport X-ray
equipment.  Further, Kahn suggests that greater electro-magnetic
forces may be at work on the OUTSIDE of this equipment than actually
in it.  A recent experience of mine suggests that this may be the
case.  On my latest jaunt I allowed plenty of time for the hand-
checking of the bag holding my laptop, disks, and associated
etceteras believing (as most of us apparently do) that evil and
corruption lurks in the heart of an X-ray machine.  Imagine my
surprise when my wp.exe file turned up zapped.  Norton to the
rescue and no perminant harm done but still, I wondered.  Now,
perhaps B.L. Kahn is correct in suggesting that our dearly beloveds
are actually safer on the inside than the outside.

Comments?
Chris Finlayson, Dept. of Sociology
Memorial University of Newfoundland

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (12/24/90)

In article <170197@kean.ucs.mun.ca>, afinlayson@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>Guy Saffold and Brian L. Kahn both report no deleterious consequences
>from running their machines and data disks through airport X-ray
>equipment.  Further, Kahn suggests that greater electro-magnetic
>forces may be at work on the OUTSIDE of this equipment than actually
I also have had no trouble with the xray machine. An attendant
suggested that carrying it through the "personnel key finder
portal" (or whatever it is really called) would be harder on
disks.

Al Dunbar          |
Edmonton, Alberta  |  "this mind left intentionally blank"
CANADA             |          - Manuel Writer