[comp.sys.laptops] Z88 file transfer

alanw@django.berkeley.edu (Alan Weinstein) (01/08/91)

I have a problem with the transfer of files from a Cambridge Z88 to a
PC using the PC-link software.  When a file produced with Pipedream
(and saved as a text file) is transferred to the PC, most PC
applications (including "type" and kermit) see it as one long line.
Others (MS Word and the Notebook in Sidekick) just see what was the
first line of the Pipedream file, while ChiWriter reads it correctly
line by line.

Clearly, some kind of end-of-line character is being transmitted to
the PC, but it is not being interpreted in the same way by all the PC
applications.  Can anyone explain to me what might be going on and
give some advice for more effective transfer?

Thank you,
Alan Weinstein

clive@aldetec.oz.au (Clive Salvidge) (01/09/91)

Alan Weinstein writes:
> I have a problem with the transfer of files from a Cambridge Z88 to a
> PC using the PC-link software.  When a file produced with Pipedream
> (and saved as a text file) is transferred to the PC, most PC
> applications (including "type" and kermit) see it as one long line.
> Others (MS Word and the Notebook in Sidekick) just see what was the
> first line of the Pipedream file, while ChiWriter reads it correctly
> line by line.
>
> Clearly, some kind of end-of-line character is being transmitted to
> the PC, but it is not being interpreted in the same way by all the PC
> applications.  Can anyone explain to me what might be going on and
> give some advice for more effective transfer?

----

In Z88 'Plain text' files, each line is terminated with an ASCII RETURN
character (13).  Whereas most other packages like to see RETURN-LINEFEED
characters (13,10). or Unix likes just the 10..

I thought that pc-link included some file conversion utilities to change
the received file to say 'WordStar' format.  That SHOULD work?

If I can help further, let me know