[comp.sys.laptops] Bondwell B310 Laptop

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (01/06/91)

Does anybody have any comments/opioions/observations on the
Bondwell B310 laptop?  A local outlet here is selling them
at a very attractive price and I would like to know what others
think of it.

The package being advertise here includes:

  - Ultraslim and lightweight case (7lbs)
  - 12MHz CMOS 80286 CPU with 0 wait state
  - 1Meg RAM (expandable to 2Meg)
  - 40Meg 25ms Connor hard drive with 1:1 interleave controller
  - 1.44M 3.5" floppy drive
  - 10.5" supertwist non-glare LCD screen
  - Removable rechargable NiCd battery pack

And its retail price around here is roughly equivalent to US$1450.

I would appreciate any comments on if this would be a good
system for "office computer inside a briefcase" type applications.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

thomas@neon.in-berlin.de (Thomas Ziemer) (01/08/91)

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:

Hello Samuel

> Does anybody have any comments/opioions/observations on the
> Bondwell B310 laptop?

Yes, here it comes.

>   - 12MHz CMOS 80286 CPU with 0 wait state

The landmark test (version 0.99 and 1.14) shows about 16 MHz
but the real frequence is 12 MHz. That's true.

>   - 1Meg RAM (expandable to 2Meg)

It's not easy to install the module to expand the laptop to 2 MB.
You have to disconnect the whole case to remove the hard disk and
floppy. Then you can put in the module (I have broken all my fingers
while installing this damn thing... ;-)

>   - 40Meg 25ms Connor hard drive with 1:1 interleave controller

My coretest version 2.8 shows a transfer rate of 702.9 KB per second.
A good value I think...

>   - Removable rechargable NiCd battery pack

The manual says that the laptop will run about one and a half
hour with one battery pack. My experience is that this is not
true. The duration is much lower than this (about 1 hour).

Nevertheless I think the B310 is a nice small piece.

Compatibility:

On my machine there is one partition of DR DOS 5.0 and one
of Xenix Sys V/286. Both operating systems run correct with
no errors.

> And its retail price around here is roughly equivalent to US$1450.

Yes. The price here in germany is about 2100 DM. This is the same
you said.

Bye ... thomas
--
 __   _______________________________________________________________________
(00)  N E O N  Research Caboose, Berlin             Computer Science Research

naylor@med.wcc.govt.nz (Richard Naylor) (01/10/91)

In article <1168@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
> Does anybody have any comments/opioions/observations on the
> Bondwell B310 laptop?

I bought one in Hong Kong in December for $HK9900 (sorry don't
have current conversion handy). I bought it for my kids to use.

It survived the trip down from HK to NZ in a briefcase without any
problems, despite being a very light plastic case.

I find the batteries last about 1 hour with average use.

My biggest problem is that I seem to have a loose connection on
the CMOS ram battery. I loose the setup in CMOS ram about once a
week. I tried taking the thing apart to see if it was a loose
joint, but access was poor, without stripping the whole thing
down.

Overall, I like it. its a cheap Ltop, that goes well. I would love
another one for work or me as my kids have taken it over :-(

| Richard Naylor            | Domain:        naylor@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz |
| Computer Services	    | PSImail:       PSI%0530147000090::naylor |
| Wellington City Council   | Phone:                  (4) 733-130 x838 |
| PO Box 2199 Wellington    | FAX:                         (4) 733-430 |
| New Zealand               |                                          |