[comp.sys.laptops] Best display/lightest weight ??

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/12/91)

In article <Jan.11.15.47.44.1991.19066@pilot.njin.net> giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) writes:

>Any recommendations on machines that rank high in portability and
>readability?

Try Sharp PC-6220.

>p.s.  Please E-mail any responses, as I won't get a chance to read
>this group very often.

An extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq15.arc (available from uwasa.fi
anonymous ftp archives):

2. *****
 Q: Why "(Please) reply by email, I don't usually read this group"
(actually a demand rather than a question) gets flamed?

 A: This is basically an impolite way of formulating such a request.
If one is interested enough to post to a group, one should also be
prepared to follow up the group.
   Intended or not, the attitude this (email-I-don't-read) decree
easily conveys is "I don't usually care for this wimpy group, but
this time you are allowed to be of service to my exalted person".
What you should do, if following the group is genuinely problematic
for you (for cost or other reasons), is to offer to make a summary
of the replies. The liturgy often used for this is "Please reply by
email. If there is sufficient interest, I'll summarize". (This
alternative is often advocated also because it is supposed to cut
down the traffic). You might even state why following a group is
problematic for you, but this is up to you.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

kiravuo@hila.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (01/12/91)

In article <Jan.11.15.47.44.1991.19066@pilot.njin.net> giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) writes:
>I'm looking for a light-weight laptop with a very good display (yeah,
>who isn't! ;-) )  I will be using it primarily for word processing and

Take a look at the Toshiba T1000 LE. This is what I am using
currently. My old PC at home is now sitting at the corner, and
If I would do only writing, this would be enough of a machine for
me.

Display good, weight 3 kg + some spare batteries, Keyboard good,
too. 20 Mb hard disk and a 1,44 Mb diskette. And Toshiba's Auto
Resume. This machine feels good in my hands.

Check out the old articles, I posted a better description a while
ago. If it has already expired, mail to me for a copy.
--
Timo Kiravuo, kiravuo@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Computer Center, Finland

dlow@pollux.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/17/91)

>(Jeff Giacobbe)
>I'm looking for a light-weight laptop with a very good display (yeah,
>who isn't! ;-) )  I will be using it primarily for word processing and
>will be traveling with it a lot.  Therefore, my top two priorities are low
>weight and a high quality display (in a variety of lighting
>conditions).  Speed really doesn't matter that much (unless it starts
>to affect the word processing response) and a 20 meg or so hard drive
>should be plenty.

If you have lots of money the TI Travelmate 2000 (aka Sharp 6220) is great
but at $2650 I decided to buy a Toshiba 1000LE instead which was
a more affordable $1649. Actually the screen on the Toshiba is better
but the Toshiba is twice the size and weight. The TI is notepad size
while the Toshiba is laptop size. The practical difference is you
can slip a notepad computer in your brief case along with everything else.
You can slip a laptop into your brief case but it will take up all the
space in your brief case.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com