[comp.sys.laptops] Tandy 1400HD

pbg@cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin) (09/25/90)

My father is looking for a low-powered laptop (he just does text
processing) and the Tandy 1400HD (with 20MB hard disk) is on sale this
month for $1199 (or something close).  Any opinions on it?!  Sounds
like a good deal...

--
					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin       		      (401) 863-7623
Systems Manager, Brown Univ. Comp. Sci.       pbg@cs.brown.edu
Box 1910 (115 Waterman Street)                uunet!brunix!pbg
Providence, RI 02912  (02906)		      pbg@browncs.bitnet

wmf@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Fischer) (09/26/90)

In article <PBG.90Sep25091435@bob.cs.brown.edu> pbg@cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin) writes:
=>My father is looking for a low-powered laptop (he just does text
=>processing) and the Tandy 1400HD (with 20MB hard disk) is on sale this
=>month for $1199 (or something close).  Any opinions on it?!  Sounds
=>like a good deal...
=>

I have been using a 1400HD for about 6 months now and am very pleased with
it. While a pretty heavy unit with disappointing battery life, I found it
to be a durable workhorse. I even had a case where the thing was dropped
on the floor, while the hard drive was active. No damage!

At $1199, this is an excellent buy!

Bill
--
| Bill Fischer                | US Agent for Omega Electronics & Swiss Timing |
| wmf@chinet.chi.il.us        |  Sports Timing and Display Systems Worldwide  |

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (10/02/90)

wmf@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Fischer) writes:

> I have been using a 1400HD [with hard disk] ...
>
> At $1199, this is an excellent buy!

Guess how much the upgrade from a 1400LT (two floppies) to a 1400HD (one
floppy, one hard disk) costs?

Yup,	$1199.

Sigh,
	-- A 1400LT owner

--
Bob Kitzberger               Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk

				-- Robertson Davies, "The Rebel Angels"

cho@cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (01/22/91)

Radio Shack has them on sale for $1199. This machine has V-20 processor,
a 20MHD, one floppy, and probably ~768K mem.
Their original price (if not on sale) is $2499 (ha,ha,ha).
Is there any happy user of this 10 pounder?
Is $1199 a fair deal, compared to other brands?

    Sehyeong Cho
    cho@cs.psu.edu

dlow@polluxSVALE.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/22/91)

>Radio Shack has them on sale for $1199. This machine has V-20 processor,
>a 20MHD, one floppy, and probably ~768K mem.
>Their original price (if not on sale) is $2499 (ha,ha,ha).
>Is there any happy user of this 10 pounder?
>Is $1199 a fair deal, compared to other brands?

This is a very good price IF the floppy is a high density drive. It's still
a good price if the floppy drive is only a double density drive.
My only objection to the RS laptops is their screens are ugly.
After staring at them for several minutes I was getting twitchy
eyes.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

wmf@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Fischer) (01/22/91)

cho@cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:
>Radio Shack has them on sale for $1199. This machine has V-20 processor,
>a 20MHD, one floppy, and probably ~768K mem.

>Is there any happy user of this 10 pounder?
>Is $1199 a fair deal, compared to other brands?

I am writing this on one. I am very pleased with it. I have the 2400
internal modem, also. Display is acceptable and the keyboard in nice.
Battery life is disappointing, but I'm told that's due in part to the
modem. It's also pretty hefty.  It is fairly compatible, I haven't
run into any problems in that area.

Tandy originally offered the upgrade from 1400FD to HD for about $1100, so
I guess the price is right. It is out of production, being replaced by the
sexier 1500HD.

--
| Bill Fischer                | US Agent for Omega Electronics & Swiss Timing |
| wmf@chinet.chi.il.us        |  Sports Timing and Display Systems Worldwide  |

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (01/23/91)

I bought one at the $1199 sale price, am satisfied, albeit wishing I
had the money for a '286 portable. I think the 1400 screen is superior to
Zenith screens. The hard drive isn't a *FAST* one, bt it seems sturdy.
1400 comes with 768 k, the top 128k of which can be accessed *ONLY*
as a ram-disk. System won't recognize drivers for expanded memory.

1400 has an external cga port, and that is important to me. I can carry
into class, hook up to a display screen & get pretty good resolution
(640x200) projected via an overhead onto a screen. I plan to do a
lot of demos, display topic outlines, etc.

1400 is "heavy", probably 15 lbs in the case with modem and external
pwer adapter, but you can get used to that.

Me, I wish:

   1. That hard drive was 30 or 40 megs.
   2. That I had the $2500 to buy the *NEW* Tandy '286 laptop
       just announced, but even it's only a 20-meg hd.

Bob M., PSU-Hbg