[comp.sys.laptops] Laptops on international flights??????

ulrich@zodiac.rutgers.edu (01/23/91)

Hi Folks,

a couple days ago, somebody posted a question about the use and transportation
of laptops on airplanes under the current security-level 4 regulations. So far,
I have seen no replies to this question on the net. I am flying with Pan Am to
Europe in two weeks and was planning to bring my laptop as carry-on-luggage,
so I am very interested in this issue. Does anybody experiences difficulties
when bringing a laptop onboard an international flight leaving from JFK? Can
a laptop still be in your carry-on luggage??
I appreciate every response to this issue. Thanx!!!!

Burkhard Ulrich
Rutgers University
Ulrich@cancer.rutgers.edu

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (01/24/91)

In article <380.279c6c72@zodiac.rutgers.edu> ulrich@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>a couple days ago, somebody posted a question about the use and transportation
>of laptops on airplanes under the current security-level 4 regulations. So far,
>I have seen no replies to this question on the net. I am flying with Pan Am to

Recently (1 or 2 nights ago on the news) there was a mention that in (most of)
Europe, due to the current crisis, NO electrical appliances with be allowed
onto a plane.

This includes cpus, hairdryers, electric razors, etc., etc.  Essentially
they will be placed into an de-pressurized chamber to make sure that they
will not trigger any explosive device (that would be sensitive to air
pressure changes).

After this "quarantine" is passed, the items will be sent on to you (X
days later).

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

mbin@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Mary Binseel) (01/24/91)

In message <380.279c6c72@zodiac.rutgers.edu>, ulrich@zodiac.rutgers.edu
(Burkhard Ulrich) asks:

>so I am very interested in this issue. Does anybody experiences difficulties
>when bringing a laptop onboard an international flight leaving from JFK? Can
>a laptop still be in your carry-on luggage??

Our travel office has advised us that for flights to/from/through Germany,
*no* electric devices of any type are allowed.  Specifically mentioned were
even mundane things like electric razors.  I think this applies to all
luggage, not just carry-on.  I do not know about other countries.  Apparently,
carry-on luggage on all flights is limited to one piece (time to search?)

Also be advised that check-in lead time for international flights is now in
the 3+ hour range.

Mary S. Binseel                                              Pilot-in-training
mbin@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil                          '85 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
Carpe diem!				       	     '88 Honda GL1500 GoldWing

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/24/91)

In article <2122@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:

>Recently (1 or 2 nights ago on the news) there was a mention that in (most of)
>Europe, due to the current crisis, NO electrical appliances with be allowed
>onto a plane.
>
>This includes cpus, hairdryers, electric razors, etc., etc.  Essentially
>they will be placed into an de-pressurized chamber to make sure that they
>will not trigger any explosive device (that would be sensitive to air
>pressure changes).

Yikes!  Anyone have clarification on pocket-sized devices like
organizers and other hand-held computers, calculators, etc.?  After
to go back to paper copies?

Come to think of it, paper <- papyrus <- dangerous countries!  Better
memorize everything.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

craig@synopsys.com (Craig Cochran) (01/25/91)

In article <380.279c6c72@zodiac.rutgers.edu> ulrich@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:

>a couple days ago, somebody posted a question about the use and transportation
>of laptops on airplanes under the current security-level 4 regulations. So far,
>I have seen no replies to this question on the net. I am flying with Pan Am to
>Europe in two weeks and was planning to bring my laptop as carry-on-luggage,
>so I am very interested in this issue. Does anybody experiences difficulties
>when bringing a laptop onboard an international flight leaving from JFK? Can
>a laptop still be in your carry-on luggage??

According to a FAX I just received from our company's travel agency, and I
quote:

"For domestic flights, check-in at least 1 & 1/2 hours before scheduled
departure is REQUIRED -- for international flights at least 2 hours is
REQUIRED.

"In addition to earlier check-in, other measures are being taken selectively.
All measures may not be taken at all airports or by all airlines. Measures
include:

  No curbside check-in of luggage;

  Unattended luggage confiscated;

  Ticketed passengers only beyond security gates;

  Unaccompanied motor vehicles towed away;

  Positive bag match on randomly selected flights -- de-planing & baggage
  identifications could be required; and

* Batteries confiscated from electronic devices, including computers; or

* All electronic devices banned BOTH IN THE CABIN AND IN CARGO SPACE."

(Unquote).

I recommend that you try to contact the ticket counter of the airline you
are flying at the airport out of which you are flying, since these regulations
will vary based on those two factors.  Don't forget to inquire about the
return leg of your flight.  It would be a shame if you toted your laptop
to europe, and had to leave it there.

-Craig  <craig@synopsys.com>

--
Craig Cochran
Product Marketing Manager                email: craig@synopsys.com

rt@sapwdf.UUCP (Ralph Treitz) (01/25/91)

In article <380.279c6c72@zodiac.rutgers.edu> ulrich@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:

>                                                    I am flying with Pan Am to
>Europe in two weeks

Are you sure making a good choice in taking Pan Am ?  Not even that I know,
that most companys strictly refuse to anybody flying to/from the states.
The few people I know switched to Swissair ( expensive ) or Icelandair
( cheap ).

>                                       Does anybody experiences difficulties
>when bringing a laptop onboard an international flight leaving from JFK?

I don't know what's going on around JFK. But Frankfurt airport is no
pleasure at all. There is no chance to take any kind of electrical device
on board. Neither hand-luggage nor in the luggage compartement ! All the
devices you are carrying with you are sent to your home address. Don't know
where they sent things, which are owned by americans who came to Europe
before things turned worse. But I think you will have to wait for them afor
a long long time.

Others mentioned that you should be 3+ hours ready before take-of. That's
right and there is no mercy for being late as it is during more normal times.

Have a good trip.
					Ralph

--
-- Ralph Treitz  ( rt@sap-ag.de )  -------  c/o  S.A.P. AG  ------------------
   Phone:  +49 6227-34-1641                 Max-Planck-Str. 8

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/26/91)

In article <2523@sapwdf.UUCP> rt@sapwdf.UUCP (Ralph Treitz) writes:

>I don't know what's going on around JFK. But Frankfurt airport is no
>pleasure at all. There is no chance to take any kind of electrical device
>on board. Neither hand-luggage nor in the luggage compartement ! All the
>devices you are carrying with you are sent to your home address. Don't know
>where they sent things, which are owned by americans who came to Europe
>before things turned worse. But I think you will have to wait for them afor
>a long long time.

What is happening with the duty-free shops?  At Frankfurt, Amsterdam,
etc. they usually sell all kinds of electronic stuff.  Are the shops
closed down now?