[comp.sys.laptops] GO computer

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (01/27/91)

In article <43061@ut-emx.uucp>, nather@ut-emx.uucp (Ed Nather) writes:

> In article <87591@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, sas@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
> >
> >According to Time magazine (Jan 28, p.88), a company called "Go" in
> >Foster City CA just announced a *really* interesting laptop.  It is just an LCD
> >screen and a stylus (no keyboard), running handwriting recognition sw.
> >
> > Anybody have more info?  I would especially appreciate contact info.  Thanks
> > in advance!
> >

> The latest issue of Byte magazine has a long article on the Go laptop,
> and on the PenPoint operating system (a superset of MS DOS) to run it.
>
> Looks downright interesting.

I saw a demo in Boston on 1/23.  They certainly do talk a good game.  Imagine
this pen-based technology in everything from Wizard-sized machines to whiteboard-sized
machines.

The machine I saw was a 286--that's a development machine only though; the
"real" ones will be 386s.

Interestingly, there is no mass storage built in.  Everything resides in
RAM (the OS, apps, documents, etc.). There is support for deferred input
and output (imagine faxes waiting to go, etc.), which takes place automatically when
connected to a net.

The apps were all pretty seemless--point to a graphic in a text document
and you're in the drawing program.

Preferences included selections for handedness of all things.

I'll think of more things later when I review the docs.  The whole approach
is at least as dramatic departure from anything we have now as the Mac was
when it was introduced.

==>Michael Costello                   costello@world.std.com
==>BCS*Mac, The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group
==>P.O. Box 2591; Woburn, MA  01888             617-631-8188