[comp.sys.laptops] Technical reference manuals for Toshiba/T1000SE battery

pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (01/24/91)

I called the tech support center, and the person who answered the phone did,
indeed, agree to send me the manual; he wanted to know why I wanted it,
however, since they normally send them to people who want to build things to
go in the machine.

I asked him about the battery discharge phenomenon, specifically about the
degree of discharge when the machine starts beeping or switches off.  He
confirmed that the battery is not fully discharged when this happens, and
seemed to be aware of the resistor trick mentioned in another posting here.
He said that they don't recommend it because most people don't have the
technical background to use it (?), but that it was not likely to harm you
or the battery -- unless you drain it TOO far.  I'm not sure how far that
is, or how long it would take to get there, but I'm planning to go out and
get a 10-ohm resistor ASAP and try it...

Thanks to the poster who supplied this  trick!

Jon Pastor			pastor@prc.unisys.com
Unisys Corporation		..!{psuvax1,sdcrdcf,cbmvax,bpa}!burdvax!pastor
PO Box 517, Paoli PA 19301	215-648-2769 (o)

coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) (01/26/91)

In article <16221@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) writes:
>I called the tech support center, and the person who answered the phone did,
>indeed, agree to send me the manual; he wanted to know why I wanted it,
>however, since they normally send them to people who want to build things to
>go in the machine.

Would someone be so kind as to post the number for the tech support
center?

TIA
-coryc

--
|    >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<        |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Tech Writer |                                             |

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (01/29/91)

In article <16221@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, pastor@PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) writes:

[ Lines about discharging computer batteries with 10 Ohm resistor deleted. ]

	This may be a cheap solution, but it still may not depleat the
batteries properly.  Why not buy a cheap battery discharger for a radio
controlled car?  You can get a decent one for less than $30, and they usually
come with an ammeter and a timer for controlling the length of discharge time.
The only modification you'd need to make would be to change the connector
to the proper one for your battery (I'm, of course, *assuming* that this is the
way the battery is constructed for laptops.)

	If you get a charger/discharger, you could have several battery
packs ready to go.  That way, you'd only have to switch the packs.

	I make no claim to know how laptops work.  Heck, I don't even
own one (...yet.  The urge is growing, though.  |-)

> Jon Pastor			pastor@prc.unisys.com

					SJO