[comp.sys.laptops] Macintosh Portable

mrich@milton.acs.washington.edu (Michael Richardson) (01/16/90)

Has anyone out there had much experience yet with the new
Macintosh Portable?  How does the reality compare with the
ad/media hype so far?

Mike Richardson
UW Radiology

sas@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Scott Sutherland) (01/16/90)

In article <1394@milton.acs.washington.edu> mrich@milton.acs.washington.edu (Michael Richardson) writes:
>Has anyone out there had much experience yet with the new
>Macintosh Portable?  How does the reality compare with the
>ad/media hype so far?

I've had a Mac Portable for about a month now and I have been quite pleased
with it.  I would recommend it highly.  Here are the main things I like
and dislike about this machine.

First the DISLIKES
- Apple should not even bother selling it with just one meg of RAM.  I say
  this for several reasons: they include a great built-in ram disk which is
  controlled from the control panel and the use of which extends battery life
  greatly, but with only one meg of RAM, who can spare some for a ram disk?
  Secondly, to be realistic, more and more of the available software just is
  not happy running in 1 meg and you can forget about running MultiFinder
  without at LEAST 2 meg.  To compound matters, the 1 meg upgrade from Apple
  is expensive even at university prices, and mine is backordered until
  'spring'.  So I thought, 'OK I can probably get it cheaper from a 3rd party
  anyway, right?'  WRONG.  The only 3rd party vendor I've found so far sells
  a 2 meg upgrade for about $1,600 and $1,300 for each additional 2 meg (choke,
  gasp, wheeeze).  I'm sure these prices will come down as more suppliers
  appear, but that leaves me with one meg of RAM for now.

- My only other major complaint is that it is a bit on the heavy side.  It
  certainly is 'portable,' but there's a GOOD reason why it's not called a
  'lap-top.' Without the hard disk it would be a couple of pounds lighter,
  but I don't consider the HD an option.

Now the things I really like:
- It is very compatable.  I figured that I would find alot of software that
  wouldn't run with the new machine, but I've had far fewer problems with
  the portable than I have with the IIci that's on my desk at work (and
  those problems have been few).

- I am quite satisfied with the speed of the mac Portable.  I was concerned
  when I heard that the Portable was to be a 68000-based machine - I didn't
  want an expensive Mac Plus in a new box.  But at 15.7 MHz, it is quick
  enough that it does not seem slow even after I've spent the day using the
  IIci at work.

- The screen refresh speed is amazing!  No smudge as I move the cursor or
  scroll text.  I have not yet found any animation that makes it look like
  a typical LCD screen.

- I get a full 8 hours of use out of the battery and it charges fully in
  about 2 hours.  If I need more than that, I swap the battery for a fresh
  one (without even having to quit my application) and I'm set for 8 more
  hours.  It also gives me lots of warning before I'm out of power, and
  if I am wondering how much power is left, I can just fire up the battery
  desk accessory and check the guage.

- I like the track ball in the keyboard.  In fact, I've only used the mouse
  (that also comes with the machine) once, and that was to make sure it
  worked.

- Finally, the thing I like most about this machine is that it is a Macintosh.
  :-)  I say that partly in fun, but I really wouldn't like to go back to
  a command-line interface or to applications that bear little or no working
  resemblence to each other.  I am also spending a tenth the time (or less)
  answering cries for help from my users, and that makes me very, very happy.

---
*** The above opinions are all mine.  I don't speak for OSU. ***
Scott Sutherland	sas@cis.ohio-state.edu
Staff Software Developer
The Ohio State University, Department of Dance

pollack@toto.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (01/17/90)

I played with maclaptop for a couple of hours at a local computer
store.  The screen is amazingly fast, because it is not really
an LCD, which is multiplexed, but a Thin-film Transistor (TFT)
display, apparently the first on the market. Does anyone know
the (OEM) details on this screen and when it will appear in products
such as other laptops and overhead projector panels?

The button for the trackball is located on the bottom rather than the
left of the ball, which was very awkward for me. I'm surprised that
Apple let this ergonomic bug escape. I expect that heavy maclaptop
users will develop a wrist disease (Carpal-something syndrome?) common
in the meat packing industry!

Finally, I am amazed that a hard-disk laptop could run 8 hours on a
battery. Could the power requirements really be half of equivalent PC
machines?

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research

mr378022@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Michael Rael) (02/01/91)

I've seen little mention of the Macintosh Portable in this group.  Is it really
as much of a flop as people say?  Apart from a few minuses, this machine
seems to
have everything an on-the-go computer user needs:  long battery life, an
excellent
LCD screen, compatibility with virtually all Mac software, etc., etc., etc.

Has anyone heard any rumors about the "slimline" portable that Apple is going
to introduce?  Is this the result of a Sony-Apple coalition?

* Michael Rael                               *
* Colorado State University, Fort Collins    *
* e-mail: mr378022@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu *

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (02/01/91)

In article <12466@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, mr378022@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Michael Rael) writes:

> Has anyone heard any rumors about the "slimline" portable that Apple is going
> to introduce?  Is this the result of a Sony-Apple coalition?

Macweek reports three models coming in Fall 1991.

*16 MHz 030; active-matrix, backlit LCD; 7 lbs; <$5000 (Mac IIsi-like)

*16 MHz 020; supertwist, backlit LCD; 7 lbs.; <$4000 (Mac LC-like)

*16 MHz 68000; supertwist, backlit LCD; 5.5 lbs.; <$2500

The 68000 model lacks a floppy disk.

Longer-range prediction: the Mac Companion, -030 based, touch input and
DSP, 3.5 lbs., sometime in 1992.

==>Michael Costello                   costello@world.std.com
==>BCS*Mac, The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group
==>P.O. Box 2591; Woburn, MA  01888             617-631-8188