[comp.sys.laptops] Battery/current measurements from the T1000SE

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/29/91)

	As promised, though a little delayed, here are measurements from my
Toshiba T1000SE, which has a 2Mb memory card (Legend) and the internal modem
(Megahertz, MNP-5, 2400baud).

	8ma	Power off current, presumably for memory maintenence and
		internal battery charging.
	8ma	Power off current, no modem. Thus the modem when powered off
		draw no current.
	6ma	Power off current, without 2Mb memory card. This component
		must be to maintain the remaining 1Mb and provide charging.
	440ma	Power on, LCD contrast low, brightness low.
	450ma	Power on, LCD contrast high, brightness low. Thus the contrast
		change makes a small, but measureable effect on current draw.
	630ma	Power on, LCD brightness high. A much larger effect from the
		LCD backlighting.
		If the 2Mb card is removed, there is essentially no change in
		these last 3 numbers (perhaps minus the 2ma). Thus the 2Mb
		card draws a minuscule amount during operation.
	900-1030ma
		LCD bright, floppy spinning.
	750ma	LCD low, floppy spinning.
	+40ma	modem online with carrier.
	-50ma	modem removed. Thus the modem requires 50ma when the machine
		is on, and an additional 40ma (90ma total) when online.
		Presumably Toshiba's modem responds to the modem off control
		and wouldn't draw the standing 50ma. This misfeature of the
		Mhz modem would seem to cost 10-15 minutes of battery life.
	-50ma	Processor in slow mode. Another savings of 10-15 minutes
		running in slow mode.
	-6ma	LCD screen in inverse mode (most pixels dark), saves a tiny
		amount of current.
	-600ma	The typical fast charge current into the battery. It varies
		considerably.

	Well, I hope I didn't forget anything. It would seem that you're best
off disconnecting the modem, if possible, running the CPU in slow mode, using
minimal backlighting and not touching the floppy. Of course, you probably
already knew that. It was surprising how much difference using low LCD
brightness makes. It could give an extra 30 minutes.  I'd be curious how much
the hard drive of a T1000XE draws.  It would seem that if you can live with
the 2.5Mb "hard drive" afforded by the 2Mb ram card, that your battery life
should be much better.
	BTW, 8ma memory backup, 1700maH battery:

		1700/8 = 212.5 hours = 8.85 days

	which is about my experience for how long my memory lasts between
full charges.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	rna!dan@nyu.edu
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

faigin@aerospace.aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) (02/02/91)

In article <1071@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
>	   Well, I hope I didn't forget anything. It would seem that you're best
> off disconnecting the modem, if possible, running the CPU in slow mode, using
> minimal backlighting and not touching the floppy.

Very interesting. The numbers should extrapolate well to the T1600. I, too, am
curious about how much the hard disk draws. There should be different numbers
for "spin-up" versus "steady-state". The 1600 also has screen blanking and
turn-off-disk facilities when running off battery, as well as a "cpu sleep"
mode.

Daniel
--
[W]:The Aerospace Corp. M1/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-8228
[Email]:faigin@aerospace.aero.org               [Vmail]:213/336-5454 Box#3149