[comp.sys.laptops] T1000LE -- opinions on it?

close@lunch.wpd.sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) (01/30/91)

I'm seriously considering getting a laptop and I'm more than a bit confused by
``expert'' opinion.  I've read the reviews (PC computing, Byte, PC World,
etc.) and ``expert'' opinion is that 8088 and 80C86 machines are obsolete and
wouldn't exist if it weren't for the laptop market.  ``They'' recommend
getting _at least_ an 80286 laptop and a VGA quality screen.

The trouble is, I haven't seen an 80286 (or higher) machine that I've liked
and I'm just not sure I require the speed for my work.  I'm a writer (plain
Jane articles, so I don't need graphics) and I use WordPerfect, Correct
Grammar, a generic spreadsheet and a simple database regularily.  That's it!
Not what I'd consider ``power'' requirements.

Enter the T1000LE.  From what I've seen so far I really like this machine.  It
has a nicely laid out keyboard, convenient autoresume feature, 1.44 floppy and
and 20 meg hard drive, and a nicely-lit side-lit screen.  Toshiba's claiming 3
hours on the battery life with an optional second internal battery (takes the
place of the modem) which will extend battery life to 5 hours.

Since I need a long battery life (I'm often in places where an electrical
outlet is inconvenient or impossible), this sounds ideal.  I can write
decently on the road (as opposed to jotting memos on an Atari Portfolio or
something like that) and can polish and finish at home on my desktop machine.

It sounds ideal, but a small part of me screams ``no, not enough power!  The
machine will be obsolete in one year!  What about windows?  What about running
other cool programs?''  Am I just getting caught up in the computing hype?  I
think so.  I think the ``I wonder what's better that's just around the
corner'' type of thinking gets to us all.

So, with that in mind, I'd appreciate some comments from some LE owners (or
want-to-be-owners), as well as comments from others who think their machines
will do what I want for less $$'s.
--
Diane Barlow Close
	close@lunch.wpd.sgi.com      also 	close@cygnus.com

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/30/91)

The Zeos 80286 portable has a 20 Meg HD, 1.44 floppy and a price
of $1995 and a VGA screen. This isn't too much more than the
street price of the Toshiba 1000LE.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (01/31/91)

>(Diane Barlow Close)
>I'm a writer (plain
>Jane articles, so I don't need graphics) and I use WordPerfect, Correct
>Grammar, a generic spreadsheet and a simple database regularily.  That's it!
>Not what I'd consider ``power'' requirements.

For what you do, a 8086 (such as the Toshiba 1000LE uses) is more than
adequate. Reading most computer magazines for recommendations is like
reading Road&Track magazine for information on a family car.
You can put grocery and small kids in the back of a Porsche
but that does not make it a family car. Considering
how many XT class machines there are, it will be at least 5 years
before you will see a significant drop in the number of programs
that will not run on 808x machines. For your purposes that is when
the machine becomes obsolete. For all practical purposes you will
still be able to use the machine for another 5 years before
you start to get problems with software updates.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/04/91)

> the biggest problem with the T1000LE is the lack of an external
> monitor, thus invalidating it as main computer.

> What a shame!!

Why?  If the T1000LE is anything like the SE or the XE, it has a
100-bin bus connector on the back.  There are a few companies which
manufacture PC/XT (and I think even AT) compatible slots which connect
to that port.  Buy one of those and a VGA card and away you go.

The Toshiba SETUP10 program allows you to configure the system to use
a display other than the internal display, so obviously the system was
designed to allow this to happen.

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Long before one is anything like drunk, the tongue is loosened,
 and words may slip out which should never have been said.  Watch
 this particularly when it's all girls together.  That femimine urge
 to confide may trick you into repeating what your husband said about
 the president and the boss's wife and how that had a lot to do with
 the boss's promotion -- words one of the women present is sure to
 make you regret some day."

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

kiravuo@hila.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.141946.2873@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au> m_pitt@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>the biggest problem with the T1000LE is the lack of an external
>monitor, thus invalidating it as main computer.

I wouldn't say it that strongly. An external monitor output would
be nice for using it with video projectors and such stuff, but I
have personally felt no need for an external monitor. I like
colors and 50-line VGA, but for text only applications the
T1000LE display is good enough for me.

Of course things such as display or keyboard are dependant of
personal preferrences and what fits one does not maybe fit
another one.
--
Timo Kiravuo, kiravuo@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Computer Center, Finland

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (02/05/91)

In article <PORTUESI.91Feb4092454@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>> the biggest problem with the T1000LE is the lack of an external
>> monitor, thus invalidating it as main computer.
>
>> What a shame!!
>
>Why?  If the T1000LE is anything like the SE or the XE, it has a
>100-bin bus connector on the back.  There are a few companies which
>manufacture PC/XT (and I think even AT) compatible slots which connect
>to that port.  Buy one of those and a VGA card and away you go.

Not to mention the fact that the display is *so* good that unless you
really need a colour screen, you don't need an external monitor anyway.
I personally prefer a really high quality, contrasty, dark text/light
background display like that of the T1000LE over the usual monitor
display any day.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

--
//DUXYZY01 JOB DU.D00.AA1234,ALFORD
// EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY

osler@ac.dal.ca (02/05/91)

 In article  <KIRAVUO.91Jan30174435@hila.hut.fi> kiravuo@hila.hut.fi
(Timo Kiravuo) writes

>My machine is mostly a typewriter/terminal with games and other
>miscellaneous stuff. As a typewriter I am totally in love with
>it. For some reason Kermit has some troubles with keeping up at
>9600 bps, so it isn't that good a terminal, but I think that that
>could be fixed. Games, some can be used, some suffer from the
>keyboard/screen.

  I use my T1000SE extensively as a terminal emulator for our
VAX mainframe by running the EM4105 software package from
Diversified Computer Servives. It has *no trouble* communicating
at 19200 bps and has a subset of Kermit available for file
transfer operations. Also included are a number of screen, printer and
plotter graphics drivers, among these, the T3100 driver uses the full
640 by 400 resolution of the T1000SE screen to emulate a
Tektronics 4010, 4105 or VT640 graphics terminal. All this to say
that the the T1000SE can be used very effectively as a terminal emulator.

     John Osler
     osler@ac.dal.ca