[comp.sys.laptops] Why is everyone dumping their laptops?

craig@synopsys.com (Craig Cochran) (01/30/91)

I've noticed quite a preponderance of "for sale" postings in comp.sys.laptops.
I'm not questioning whether these postings fall within the charter for this
newsgroup, but I would like to know why there are so many for sale?

Is it that the technology becomes obsolete quickly, and people want to sell
their old ones so they can buy the hottest new model?

Is it because the initial infatuation with having a "throw-over-your-shoulder"
computer wears off and people realize they'd rather have a more powerful
desktop?

Or is it because people are finding that they don't get as much use "on-the-go"
out of their laptop as they thought they would?

Just curious...

--
Craig Cochran
Product Marketing Manager                email: craig@synopsys.com

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (01/30/91)

Of the possible reasons proposed by craig@synopsys.com (Craig Cochran)
in his posting, I think that the most plausible is that this is just
part of an upgrade cycle.  If anything, a little experience with a
laptop opens the owner's mind to further applications.  There is also
a rapid improvement in the hardware.  Although I am still hanging on
to a T1000, I can see the value of replacing it with a more
sophisticated model.
--

--R. T. Bumby ** Math ** Rutgers ** New Brunswick ** NJ08903 ** USA --
  above postal address abbreviated by internet to bumby@math.rutgers.edu

jeff@nstar.rn.com (Jeff Babcock) (01/30/91)

I am selling mine for several reasons, mainly to pay off bills,
however I do enjoy the portability of my supersport.  I think that
most people who use laptops do some traveling in their job or like
to "Take their work home".  I'm a programmer, so the ability to
take my work with me and work on it anytime I chose gives me a great
amount of freedom.

Jeff

--
internet: jeff@nstar.rn.com -or- jeff%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
uucp:     ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!jeff -or- ..!uunet!nstar!jeff

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/01/91)

> I suspect people say 'a CGA with 8088 will be plenty for me' and after
> suffering (for example) Windows 3 under CGA and 8088, they give up.

> Look at me, I was saying that I won't be playing games with it, so CGA
> is enough, and now I wish it was VGA..  -turgut

My laptop is a T1000XE, an 8086 with CGA.  I routinely use a text
editor, spreadsheet, terminal program, a personal information manager,
plus little programs like calculators and calendars.  All of these
programs work just fine in such an environment, and they prove very
useful to me.  No 386, no VGA, no Windows 3.0.  And given that the 386
boxes I've seen running Windows3 update the screen slower than a Mac
SE, I'm not sure I ever want to use it.

I'm satisfied with my choice, and I think that for a lot of things
people want to do with their laptops, a minimal machine is sufficient.

m.

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Long before one is anything like drunk, the tongue is loosened,
 and words may slip out which should never have been said.  Watch
 this particularly when it's all girls together.  That femimine urge
 to confide may trick you into repeating what your husband said about
 the president and the boss's wife and how that had a lot to do with
 the boss's promotion -- words one of the women present is sure to
 make you regret some day."

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (02/01/91)

Bill_Layton@mindlink.UUCP (Bill Layton) (02/10/91)

> craig@synopsys.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <666@synopsys.COM>
>
> Org.  : Synopsys Inc.
> Person: Craig Cochran
>

> I've noticed quite a preponderance of "for sale" postings in
> comp.sys.laptops.
> I'm not questioning whether these postings fall within the charter for this
> newsgroup, but I would like to know why there are so many for sale?
>

> Is it that the technology becomes obsolete quickly, and people want to sell
> their old ones so they can buy the hottest new model?
>
> Is it because the initial infatuation with having a
> "throw-over-your-shoulder"
> computer wears off and people realize they'd rather have a more powerful
> desktop?
>
> Or is it because people are finding that they don't get as much use
> "on-the-go"
> out of their laptop as they thought they would?
>

> Just curious...
>
> --
> Craig Cochran
> Product Marketing Manager                email: craig@synopsys.com
> Synopsys, Inc.                           voice: (415)962-7723

Craig, as a forestry consultant with two laptops (1 Sharp, 1 Altima)
I find I often wish for more since any laptop is more of a compromise between $
and features.  For someone not really requiring
portability, a laptop probably seems great until the next advancement
in features comes along and they want them.  For those of us who
can't be trading computers all the time we just make do.