[comp.sys.laptops] The vanishing screen . . .

rkcain@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (RODNEY CAIN, Miami Univ., Oxford, Ohio, USA) (02/06/91)

I have a Tandy 1400LT (the older one) laptop.  I've had this computer almost
two years now, and have recently noticed a dimming of the screen as compared to
when I bought the computer.  This was not really that noticable until I
compared it to one of the new Tandy 1400FD computers.  The screen is not
unreadable, but is a rather dull blue now . . .

Has anyone had this experience?  I imagine the screen tubes will have to be
replaced . . . is this an expensive proposition?

I only payed 1000 for the computer so paying a couple hundred to have the thing
fixed is a little annoying.  I was always under the impression that the screen
tubes would just 'burn out', not do this gradual deterioration thing.

------------
                        *-----------------------------------------*
                        |   "Our theories are but dancing shadows |
        *------------------* on the hard wall of reality."        |
        |Miami University  |--------------------------------------*   |
	|Oxford, Ohio, USA |           |rkcain@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu  |
        *------------------*           |rc32sanu@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu|
                                       *------------------------------*

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (02/09/91)

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) writes:

>The screen seems to have fluorescent tubes, and I suspect one of them
>died on you.

From what I've seen most laptops use fluorescent sheets for backlighting;
they glow when injected with AC current.  With age they get less efficient
and just kind of fade away.

Although you can order replacement sheets from electronics wholesalers,
getting them into place and hooked up right behind your display is not
easy - a friend of mine tried, and his display is a bit of a mess now.
Has anybody out there done this repair successfully?

--
Nicol N. Schraudolph, C-014          | "And long cars in long lines
University of California, San Diego  |  And great big signs, and they all say:

maurice@philica.ica.philips.nl (Maurice van Swaaij) (02/26/91)

	In BYTE magazine of last february there was a feature about flat
panel displays. Field Emission Displays where mentioned as a new upcoming
technologie. Does anyone have an adress of the company called Coloray
(Fremont California) which is developing this type of display?

Maurice van Swaaij

maurice@ica.philips.nl
tel ++49 241 6003 728
fax ++49 241 6003 709