[comp.sys.laptops] Model 100 issues

tswift@well.sf.ca.us (Theodore John Swift) (02/22/91)

Sorry to post this to the whole net.  I lost James' login.  But others of
you may find this interesting.
-

> If you find out how to do what you need, please let me know.
And you!

> I've found out how to interface to the printer parallel port by
> trial and error; no documentation.  I've got two bits in and eight
> bits out.

As for documentation, I think the plain user's manual talks about
the printer some, but if not, there are two other sources I'd
suggest (quoting from a letter to another net-person):
----
He asked:
> Are there any trs-80 model 100 users groups around out there?  I just
> acquired one recently and I would like to find some info. on programming
> the thing in assembly and especially doing graphics from assembly.

I replied:
There's a book called _Inside The (TRS-80) Model 100_ by Carl Oppedahl,
Copyright 1985 by Weber Systems, published by Weber Systems, Inc.,
8437 Mayfield Road, Chesterland, Ohio 44026.  ISBN 0-938862-31-6. $19.95
I got my copy about six months ago at Computer Literacy Bookstore in
Sunnyvale, CA (408) 730-9955 (if you have trouble locating it nearby).
It contains 18 chapters, and describes the hardware in detail, and goes
into some detail about programming in assembly and advanced BASIC.

Chapter heads: 1 Introduction to the Model 100; 2 Assembly Programming;
3 Advanced BASIC; 4 Borrowing from Z80 Experience; 5 Understanding the
Hardware of the Model 100; 6 The Keyboard; 7 UART operation and the RS-232
Interface; 8 The Telephone Modem; 9 Piezoelectric Beeper; 10 The Printer
Interface; 11 Clock/Calendar; 12 Cassette I/O; 13 The LCD Screen; 14 The Bar
Code Reader; 15 Interrupts; 16 The Power Supply; 17 Expansions;
18 The Remainder of ROM; Apdx A, Nonprintable Characters and Assignments;
Apdx B, ROM Map; Apdx C, 8080, 8085, Z80 Opcodes; Apdx D, Bibliography.
-----
Another source you might consider is the Rat Shack Service Manual,
cat no. 26-3801/3802.  It's got a wealth of information about schematics,
theory of operation, graphics character codes, etc.

> I've got two bits in and eight bits out.

Well, that's pretty good for not having any documentation, but I
think your shy one output:  _Inside the Model 100_ says (and the
RS Service Manual confirms) that the printer port conforms to the
Centronics standard.  Table 10.1 of _ITM100_ gives the lines:

Centronics  M100  Function  Source
   Pin       Pin
   1          1   Strobe-not M100
   2          3   DATA 0     M100
   3          5   DATA 1     M100
   4          7   DATA 2     M100
   5          9   DATA 3     M100
   6         11   DATA 4     M100
   7         13   DATA 5     M100
   8         15   DATA 6     M100
   9         17   DATA 7     M100
   10        19     ignored by M100
   11        21   BUSY       printer
   12        23     ignored by M100
   13        25   BUSY-not   printer

   15-18     NC

   19         2   Ground
   |        (evens)

   30        24   Ground

   31        26     ignored by M100

   32-36     NC

"Many printers announce that they are out of paper by asserting a
high signal at Centronics pin 12, which goes to M100 pin 23, but
this signal goes nowhere within the M100".

> What I really need is an interrupt input pin.  Is there one?
> James

Yes, there is one: INTR, pin 17, is an input.  INTA, pin 24, is
an output according to Table 17.2 of _ITM100_.  It also cautions
that "This is not a technique for the idle experimenter" :-).
The Service Manual writes that "INTR, interrupt request, is a
general purpose interrupt.  It is sampled only during the next to
the last clock cycle of an instruction and during Hold and Halt
states.  If it is active, the Program Counter (PC) will be inhibited
from incrementing and an INTA-not will be issued.  During this cycle
a Restart or Call instruction can be inserted to jump to the interrupt
service routine.  The INTR is enabled and disabled by software.  It is
disabled by Reset and immediately after an interrupt is accepted.
INTA-not, interrupt acknowledge, is used instead of (and has the same
timing as) RD-not during the Instruction cycle after an INTR is
accepted".  These lines go directly to the 8085 processor.

Good luck in your efforts.  If you have any tips, I'd appreciate hearing
from you.  I'll write as I discover new stuff.
--
----------------------
Ted Swift tswift@well.sf.ca.us

fiori@ziggy.Quantum.Leap.COM (Wayne Fiori) (02/26/91)

I'm relatively new to the world of laptops and I have recently considered
getting a used (read cheap) laptop to use as an intellegent portable terminal.
The first portable that came to mind was the trs model 100.  Could anyone tell
me what a good price would be for a used one?  Even better, is Radio Shack
still carrying these?

Thanks...

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (02/27/91)

In article <12796@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, fiori@ziggy.Quantum.Leap.COM (Wayne Fiori)
says:
>Even better, is Radio Shack
>still carrying these?

Last I saw, they were carrying the Model 102, which is the same thing only
smaller.  Price was in the $400-$500 range, but they have sales from time to
time.

cortez@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Cortez) (02/27/91)

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) writes:

>In article <12796@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, fiori@ziggy.Quantum.Leap.COM (Wayne Fiori)
>says:
>>Even better, is Radio Shack
>>still carrying these?
>>
>Last I saw, they were carrying the Model 102, which is the same thing only
>smaller.  Price was in the $400-$500 range, but they have sales from time to
>time.

Yeah I think the current list price is $499.  If you can find it used I
would suggest you grab it up.  A normal used price would be around $100.
Before you buy it I would seriously suggest though that you define
in your mind exactly what you want to do with it.  It is nifty computer
for those who are on the go and who need to write notes, memos, even
papers, but it is not the computer for you if you have in mind spreadsheets,
high-speed communications, or games.  It only has 32k and it runs at
about 2MHz and it is completely incompatible with DOS machines.

If have any specific questions about what it can or can't do write me and
I will try to help.

Jeff Cortez
tandy@uiuc.edu
Maintainer of the Tandy 100 Archives

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.205640.27318@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cortez@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Cortez) writes:
>PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) writes:
>
>>In article <12796@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, fiori@ziggy.Quantum.Leap.COM (Wayne Fiori)
>>says:
>>>Even better, is Radio Shack
>>>still carrying these?
>Yeah I think the current list price is $499.  If you can find it used I
>would suggest you grab it up.  A normal used price would be around $100.
>Before you buy it I would seriously suggest though that you define
>in your mind exactly what you want to do with it.  It is nifty computer
>for those who are on the go and who need to write notes, memos, even
>papers, but it is not the computer for you if you have in mind spreadsheets,
>high-speed communications, or games.  It only has 32k and it runs at
>about 2MHz and it is completely incompatible with DOS machines.

It should be noted that there are several ROMs that plug into the Model
100 that handle spreadsheets (notably Lucid), and although the builtin
modem only runs at 300 baud, the software supports rates up to 19200
baud (I think -- I've only run at 9600).  There is also the Model 200,
almost the same size but with a clamshell case that gives you 16 lines
instead of the 8 on the 100 or 102.  It comes with a spreadsheet in ROM.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577