[comp.sys.laptops] T1000SE battery life

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (03/06/91)

Hi, netters:

I have been using the battery for about 13 months now on my T1000SE.  Although
all along I used every precaution to use the battery from fully-charged
condition to the time when the machine shuts itself down (the THEORETICAL
full-discharged state) and also to reset the fuel gauge to absolute zero
before recharge, the battery life right now is down to 1 and 1/4 hour !
(and the machine even does not have a memory card that may drain the battery)

So, should I start considering connecting some small dc light bulb to help
the battery to discharge further (some netters mentioned earlier about doing
it to their batteries) or do nothing (other netters said Toshiba tech people
won't recommend this, although Toshiba also admits that the battery actually
still has charge by the time the machine shuts itself down).

Any experience on attempts to discharge the battery artificially is
appreciated!

Patrick Wong

PS. If you want to know the absolute best price I have found for a
    2mb memory card for your 1000SE/XE, drop me a line.

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.144407.3956@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:
)I have been using the battery for about 13 months now on my T1000SE.  Although
)all along I used every precaution to use the battery from fully-charged
)condition to the time when the machine shuts itself down (the THEORETICAL
)full-discharged state) and also to reset the fuel gauge to absolute zero
)before recharge, the battery life right now is down to 1 and 1/4 hour !
)(and the machine even does not have a memory card that may drain the battery)

)So, should I start considering connecting some small dc light bulb to help
)the battery to discharge further (some netters mentioned earlier about doing
)it to their batteries) or do nothing (other netters said Toshiba tech people
)won't recommend this, although Toshiba also admits that the battery actually
)still has charge by the time the machine shuts itself down).

	The battery definitely has quite a residual charge left when the
machine shuts down. I think Toshiba really wants you to drain the battery until
the machine loses its "hard RAM". I don't know why Toshiba can't set the
shutdown point to make greater use of the battery's residual charge. Perhaps
I'll try and go into the machine to alter that set point. must be a pot or
voltage divider somewhere...
	I've taken to discharging the battery after the T1000SE has shutdown
using a 6volt flashlight lamp. The lamp stays brightly lit for perhaps an
hour or more -- plenty of charge left. I stop when the voltage is 4-5 volts
or so. It seems to help quite a bit.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...phri!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

boebert@sctc.com (Earl Boebert) (03/10/91)

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>In article <1991Mar6.144407.3956@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>)So, should I start considering connecting some small dc light bulb to help
>)the battery to discharge further (some netters mentioned earlier about doing
>)it to their batteries) or do nothing (other netters said Toshiba tech people
>)won't recommend this, although Toshiba also admits that the battery actually
>)still has charge by the time the machine shuts itself down).

>	The battery definitely has quite a residual charge left when the
>machine shuts down. I think Toshiba really wants you to drain the battery until
>the machine loses its "hard RAM". I don't know why Toshiba can't set the
>shutdown point to make greater use of the battery's residual charge. Perhaps
>I'll try and go into the machine to alter that set point. must be a pot or
>voltage divider somewhere...
>	I've taken to discharging the battery after the T1000SE has shutdown
>using a 6volt flashlight lamp. The lamp stays brightly lit for perhaps an
>hour or more -- plenty of charge left. I stop when the voltage is 4-5 volts
>or so. It seems to help quite a bit.

The Toshiba manual for the external charger states that batteries left in
an unplugged charger will be discharged.  Is this a save alternative to the
flashlight trick?