[comp.sys.laptops] Olivetti notebooks

A6054LHG@HASARA11.BITNET (Leo Geesink) (03/08/91)

I have just been to our local "university computer dealer". According to one
of the salespersons, Olivetti is going to ship their 20 Mhz 386 SX notebook
in the middle of May (which probably means the middle of June :-) ), rather
late anyway.

This notebook includes the usual features like a paper-white VGA-screen,
40 mb HD, and a kind of pointer that is equivalent to the "mouse/pointer"
on the PSION's. This device is a square of about 3 by 3 inches - located above
the keyboard, on the right - on which you can indicate the position of the
mouse by using your hand).

The salesperson also told me that the price of this system should be about
US $ 2200.  A 16 MHz 286 version would cost about US $ 1700.

My question is: does anybody know more about this?

Regards

Leo Geesink                   |  bitnet  : A6054LHG@HASARA11
Dept. of Information Systems  |  internet: A6054LHG@VM1.SARA.NL
University of Amsterdam
The Netherlands

donh@oliven.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Donald Herrick) (03/11/91)

In article <91066.213225A6054LHG@HASARA11.BITNET> A6054LHG@HASARA11.BITNET (Leo
 Geesink) writes:
> I have just been to our local "university computer dealer". According to one
> of the salespersons, Olivetti is going to ship their 20 Mhz 386 SX notebook

Olivetti announced a new line of laptops and notebooks (2 laptops and 3
notebooks) on Feb. 28 in Berlin.  The models will be launched at the CeBIT
fair in Hanover later this week.  The models are:
	NOTEBOOK A12 - 12 MHz '286, DCGA display, 20 MB hard disk
	NOTEBOOK V16 - 16 MHz '286, VGA display, 40 MB hard disk
	NOTEBOOK S20 - 20 MHz 386sx, VGA display, 60 MB hard disk
	LAPTOP S20 - 20 MHz 386sx, 16KB cache, VGA display, 40/60 MB disk
	LAPTOP D33 - 33 MHz 386dx, 32KB cache, VGA display, 40/60 MB disk

All models provide the pointing device you mention, plus connection to a
full featured docking expansion module and docking printer.  The laptops
have interchangeable displays, full 101/102 key detachable keyboards and
an internal half-size AT slot.  All models are battery/AC powered with
interchangeable rechargeable batteries.  The notebooks weigh less than 3 kg,
the laptops 5.5 kg.

> This notebook includes the usual features like a paper-white VGA-screen,
> 40 mb HD, and a kind of pointer that is equivalent to the "mouse/pointer"
> on the PSION's. This device is a square of about 3 by 3 inches - located
> above the keyboard, on the right - on which you can indicate the position
> of the mouse by using your hand).

This pointing device is a touch sensitive pad which can be used with your
finger or a stylus.  Note that with Psion, the touchpad is not available on
their DOS compatible notebook.  The Olivetti version is fully PS/2 mouse
compatible and runs under MS-DOS or OS/2.

> The salesperson also told me that the price of this system should be about
> US $ 2200.  A 16 MHz 286 version would cost about US $ 1700.

The US list prices have not be decided yet, but in any case will not be
that low.  Olivetti sells worldwide but the principal markets for our
portable PCs are in Europe.

> My question is: does anybody know more about this?

I am the product planner for portable PCs for Olivetti, so I can provide
any information you need.  I read this newsgroup and will respond to any
requests for information on our new line.

			Don Herrick
			Product Planning Manager
			Olivetti Office