[comp.sys.laptops] Advice on laptop purchase ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (03/11/91)

Hi,

I am looking for some advice about what laptop to purchase, I am new to the lap
top area and dos too. From what I've read/seen so far, I think I just need an
8088 type of laptop, with dual floppies.  I find the little squishy screens
hard to read and was wondering if there is a laptop with a nice large screen
that is easy on the eye and the pocketbook !  I have around 1000.00 to spend.

I was wondering what software people are using on these types of machines, some
of which only have 1 drive !?  How can you fit your programs, dos, and data on
only one floppy disk ?

Thanks,

Mark Rosenberg

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (03/12/91)

In article <88721602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some advice about what laptop to purchase, I am new to the lap
> top area and dos too. From what I've read/seen so far, I think I just need an
> 8088 type of laptop, with dual floppies.  I find the little squishy screens
> hard to read and was wondering if there is a laptop with a nice large screen
> that is easy on the eye and the pocketbook !  I have around 1000.00 to spend.
>
> I was wondering what software people are using on these types of machines, some
> of which only have 1 drive !?  How can you fit your programs, dos, and data on
> only one floppy disk ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Rosenberg

Well Mark,
	I asked the very same question a few weeks ago.  Based on what
I've heard and read a $1000 budget will get you a Toshiba T1000SE.  It
has a single floppy but not to worry DOS is stored in ROM on the
machine so no space is used on the floppy for system stuff.  It also
has non-volitale (battery backed) ram cartridges for I believe a total
of 3MB (minus the 640KB needed for DOS and applications).  I have made
my decision to be this machine for a number of reasons.  Probably the
biggest is the name Toshiba (because of company credibility &
support).  And it does what I need for now and some for future.
Others you can look at are the Panasonic CF150B, Tandy 1100FD, Sharp
MZ100, Sharp MZ200.  These all seem to have much of what you're
looking for and generally they're all cheaper than the Toshiba
T1000SE.  Hope this helps...

BTW
The floppy on the TS1000 is a 1.44MB over the more typical 720K for
that class machine (The Sharp MZ200 has two 1.44MB floppies).

srm
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(908)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07208

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

jih@ox.com (John Hritz) (03/12/91)

I may be biased, but keeping that in mind.  The hot setup for a floppy
system is a Toshiba T1000SE.  Six pounds, great keyboard, wonderful screen.
With a little looking I was able to score mine for $800.  It's no competition
for my 486, but as a terminal, notepad and wordprocessor it's more than
adequate.  Turbo C runs on it just fine also.
     John I. Hritz                               Photons have mass?!
     jih@ox.com                                       I didn't know they
     313-930-9126                                             were catholic!