[comp.sys.laptops] External Hard Drives

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) (03/12/91)

Does anyone have any experience with an external hard drive
running off the parallel (or serial) port of a PC clone?
I have a dual-floppy NEC Multispeed I'm trying to keep from
obsolescence.  AXONIX among others makes such a device.
I'm especially interested in reliability, cost, compatibility,
what kind of software is supplied (device driver?)...

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (03/13/91)

In article <ZoToy1w163w@coyote.datalog.com> ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with an external hard drive
>running off the parallel (or serial) port of a PC clone?

I'm also interested.  In addition to reliability, I am more concerned
about the speed.  Some software vendors claim that 50 kbyte/s can be
transitted through the parallel port (20 k through serial port). However,
in reality, the actual speed is much lower, 1/2, 1/3 or even lower.
At 50 kbytes/s, 1 M takes 20 seconds.  Can anyone tell us the realistic
transfer speed of the external hard drives, in other words what can we
expect?  I am really concerned about the reliability of the removable
HD.  Can anyone tell us more about it?

jeff@eng.umd.edu (Jeffrey Frey) (03/14/91)

Yet another advantage of the PC-Convertible is that if you get the right
external hard drive (somebody's "quick Brick", advertised in Computer
Shopper) it will run off the computer's expansion slot with regular
hard-drive R/W speeds.  Mine seems faster than the Seagate on my 9MHz
AT, in fact.  Drives hooking to the parallel port have to operate at
the port's speed--96K?

Jeff