[comp.sys.laptops] Zenith MiniSport

pitonyak@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) (03/08/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Minisport
Expires:

And another plus for the Zenith Minisport is that Zenith offers
discounts to Students and other people in Academia.  It makes their
quality products all that much easier to own; if you are a
student or other faculty type that is.

Andy

JACOBY@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (03/21/90)

In article <78008@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, pitonyak@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Andrew Pitonyak) says:

>And another plus for the Zenith Minisport is that Zenith offers
>discounts to Students and other people in Academia.  It makes their
>quality products all that much easier to own; if you are a
>student or other faculty type that is.
>
>Andy

I was extremely impressed with the Minisport when it came out last summer and w
was eagerly saving up my pennies....until the T1000SE.  The T1000SE has all
the goodies of the Minisport, plus a 1.44 meg drive and a REAL screen.  Battery
life isn't the greatest thing, but the battery pack is just a hair bigger than
the Minisport's.  I found the T1000SE keyboard at least as good as the Minispor
t Keyboard--the Toshiba keys have more key travel, but the overall feel is
about the same..

I finally bought a T1000SE because, when all was said and done, it was substant
ially cheaper than the Minisport--EVEN WITH THE STUDENT DISCOUNT!!!!

I paid $1149 for a full-fledged T1000SE with a Meg o' Memory.  The same setup
with a Minisport would have been $1400 here at Yale AFTER DISCOUNT.

I do not know what the educational discounts at other universities are,
but here at Yale I have found that anything other than the Apple computers
are more expensive at our "discounted" price than New York Times retail
prices.  And we still have to pay sales tax.

just my $.02.  Your mileage may vary.

                                       -Conrad J.

Conrad J. Jacoby                       P.O. Box 3805 Yale Station
Yale University                        New Haven, CT 06520
Yale Computer Center                   (203) 865-6521  (home)

"Generalist at Large"                  JACOBY@YaleVM.BITNET
                                             @YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu

hargitai@acf5.NYU.EDU (03/24/90)

yes,

same here at nyu. +

also apples are more expensive with the exception of the mac+.

as far I see edu.dicount is a big joke.
jh

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (timothy francis sipples) (11/06/90)

I'd be interested in hearing from fellow Zenith MiniSport owners on things
like: where to get reasonably priced memory upgrades, modem upgrades,
extra batteries, external disk drives, and so forth.  Any experiences you'd
like to share would be most welcome.  Also, where's a good place to get
the 2 inch floppy disks?

I personally think the machine is great and would like to add a few
enhancements to make it even greater.

Please respond via netmail and I'll summarize here if interest warrants.

T.F.S.
Timothy F. Sipples			sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/06/90)

Damark (800 729 9000) is selling the Zenith MiniSport for $999.99, with
10 2" MiniDiskettes, plus the 3 1/2" external drive. 1200 Baud internal
modem is $99.99 and carrying case is $39.99.

Is this a good buy. How easy is the machine to use. How is the keyboard?
Is DOS in ROM? How easy is it to read the screen when it is full of
text.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (timothy francis sipples) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.014250.16840@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>Damark (800 729 9000) is selling the Zenith MiniSport for $999.99, with
>10 2" MiniDiskettes, plus the 3 1/2" external drive. 1200 Baud internal
>modem is $99.99 and carrying case is $39.99.
>
>Is this a good buy. How easy is the machine to use. How is the keyboard?
>Is DOS in ROM? How easy is it to read the screen when it is full of
>text.

I didn't know Damark was selling the machine.  Interesting.  I wonder if
they sell accessories separately.

I don't think it's a particularly good buy, but it's an OK price if they're
selling the 2MB model.  The machine is quite light, has a nice keyboard,
has DOS in ROM (and you put CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT on the RAM disk),
and can go longer than average on a charge.  The screen isn't the best out
there today but I find it quite usable.  The 2 inch disks are -- er --
interesting.  (They're easier to carry around, too.)  Fastwire LX is
in ROM, and you can upload it easily enough to any machine with a COM port
running DOS.

T.F.S.
Timothy F. Sipples		sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

howcome@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Hakon Lie) (03/14/91)

My local laptop pusher currently sells the Zenith minisport w/2Meg for
$499. That's a tempting deal for a thesis-writing student on budget.
Any reasons why this is not a good deal -- in addition to the 2"
floppies?

Also, let me know if you have any minisport accessories for sale..

-h&kon

--
					       _____
Hakon W Lie 				      /

In article <HOWCOME.91Mar13125413@media-lab.media.mit.edu> howcome@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Hakon Lie) writes:

   My local laptop pusher currently sells the Zenith minisport w/2Meg for
   $499. That's a tempting deal for a thesis-writing student on budget.
   Any reasons why this is not a good deal -- in addition to the 2"
   floppies?

   Also, let me know if you have any minisport accessories for sale..

I've had a number of replies asking me who the pusher is. The store is
called "Laptops etc." and they can be reached at (617)576-6615. That's
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

-h&kon
--
					       _____