[comp.sys.laptops] External display on Toshiba 1000

michael@sameplace.East.Sun.COM (Michael Gwilliam - Sun Consulting) (03/14/91)

OK, I'm stumped.  I've got one of those old Toshiba 1000's.  You know
the kind with 3 1/2" floppy and 1/2 meg of memory and thats it!

On the back is an RCA connector and an RBG DB9.  I've plugged in
a simple black and monitor to the RCA connector or an RGB monitor
into the DB9 and the only thing that displays anything is the
LCD screen.

I've prowled through the manual and didn't find anything that could be
of help.  I figure that it must be some sort of option?

But then why did I get an RCA cable with the computer?  What am I
missing?

michael

nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) (03/14/91)

In article <3135@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> michael@sameplace.East.Sun.COM (Michael Gwilliam - Sun Consulting) writes:
>OK, I'm stumped.  I've got one of those old Toshiba 1000's...
>the kind with 3 1/2" floppy and 1/2 meg of memory and thats it!
>
>On the back is an RCA connector and an RBG DB9.  I've plugged in
>a simple black and monitor to the RCA connector or an RGB monitor
>into the DB9 and the only thing that displays anything is the
>LCD screen.
>
>I've prowled through the manual and didn't find anything that could be
>of help.  I figure that it must be some sort of option?
>
>But then why did I get an RCA cable with the computer?  What am I
>missing?

What needs to be done is a keypress.  Hit the "Fn" and "End" keys simultaneously to select the color monitor.  To go back to the LCD screen, hit "Fn" and
 "Home" simultaneously.

--
O-        /\
|\     /\/vv\

jih@ox.com (John Hritz) (03/14/91)

The T1000SE has a command to write the screen output to an internal
screen.  This is a way to save some power during batch files and the like,
since this machine has no external video jacks.  I suspect that this command
is a left-over from the T1000.  The Toshiba BBS has a utility called
TOSHUTIL that will switch between the LCD and internal display.  This utility
or one like it might do the trick.
     John I. Hritz                               Photons have mass?!
     jih@ox.com                                       I didn't know they
     313-930-9126                                             were catholic!