[comp.sys.laptops] poqet pc what do you guys think of it?

v126pt49@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Robert P Baccaray) (03/12/91)

Hi out there!  Could anyone and everyone please post their opinions on the
Poqet pc.  I have Panasonic 150 and a Sharp OZ-7000.  I love them both
because of their portability.  Could this possibly be a great blend of
both of my gadgets?

						Bob -- the L.I. guy

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (03/12/91)

In article <64621@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v126pt49@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Hi out there!  Could anyone and everyone please post their opinions on the
>Poqet pc.  .......

I, in general, like the Poqet PC and have made good use of it particularly
during cross continent flights.  It is very portable and weighs less than
one pound.  I usually carry extra sets of rechargeable and regular AA
batteries and a solor charger.  So I never worry about running out of power.
It has 512 k ram and 640 k system RON with Dos 3.3 and Poqettools. It
is 100% (my experience so far) compatible with PC with a
speed equivalent to an XT.  The display and keyboard are quite adequate.
There is also an optional external 3.5"
disc drive. My poqet has two 512 k RAMdrives (at
a cost close to $1000).  Because of the storage limitations, you can
only run relative small programs on the road.  I normally do not use
Poqettools.  The two drives are loaded with Sidekick, simplified lotus
123, Xtalk, Kermit, a simple spell checker, Norton Editor, and the
Redline cursor program (I don't use Redline that much).  I also use
the Squish Plus Disc program which takes about 75 k but can increase
the dics capacity by 30% which is an extra 300 k storage.

I had hoped that after the introduction,  the Poqet Computer Corp.
would reduce the total cost quickly and introduce 1 and 2 M ram and
2 and 4 M flash ROM drives at reasonable cost.  With the "high" capacity
plug-in RAM and ROM drive, the Poqet can be very flexible, useful
and quite powerful on the road for its size.  Apparently this is
not happening.  The flash ROM is non-volatile and needs no battery
but can be erased and used again.  I guess the Poqet has done an
excellent engineering job but apparently lacks the special
marketing skill in this very competitive field.

mlowery@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mike Lowery) (03/15/91)

How is it for touch typing?  If I were to buy one, it would be
primarily for word processing on a plane or hotel room.  Is it any
good for that?

Mike Lowery

   While meanness is a function of the insensitive,
   grumpiness is merely a function of the dissatisfied.
        ----Tom Robbins
+NCR Corporation is not responsible for my views and opinions.+