[comp.sys.laptops] What's wrong with this news group?

ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) (03/16/91)

Whenever I look at this news system, there seens to be very few
articles posted.  I didn't find out why until I post my own news.
My last article only remain posted for *1* day!  How is anyone going
to get enough reponses by just been posted for one day.  I hope if
anyone knows how to contact the news group.  Please tell them to let
the articles post longer.  Thanks and please do not reply via email.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/17/91)

In article <17549@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:
>Whenever I look at this news system, there seens to be very few
>articles posted.  I didn't find out why until I post my own news.
>My last article only remain posted for *1* day!  How is anyone going
>to get enough reponses by just been posted for one day.  I hope if
>anyone knows how to contact the news group.  Please tell them to let
>the articles post longer.  Thanks and please do not reply via email.

You should talk to your system administrator.  Usenet News is fully
distributed with no central control and nothing to control centrally.
How things work there in San Diego can be quite different from how they
work here in Milwaukee.  Apparently whatever system you read news on
expires very quickly, this might be because there is limited storage to
keep news around.  A full NetNews feed is about 10 MB a day, so it
could be that all the days news is deleted at your site to make room
for the next days news.  My own system here keeps articles around for a
few weeks, some systems have the storage to keep them around for
months.

By the way, the NewNews guidelines encourage the use of mail to reply
to messages.  Unless material is of general interest (this message
probably isn't) it should be sent via mail.

You might want to check out the newsgroups news.announce.newusers and
news.newusers.questions.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony