[comp.sys.laptops] asking recommendations on laptop/notebook purchase

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (03/14/91)

I'm planning to buy a laptop or notebook, but after speaking about it
with several friends, I'm going to believe that my wish list is a bit
odd.  I will mainly use it for wordprocessing.  Wanted features are:

- really portable.  Weight max. about 3 kg, preferably less.
- size about a sheet (A4) of paper.  A *bit* bigger doesn't matter.
- It must be able to run for at least 4 hrs. before needing a recharge.
- 80x25 good readable text screen.  Graphics are not necessary,
  although I don't think there are portables which can handle only
  text.
- Keys may not be too small; my fingers are rather big.
- Function/cursor keys may be placed anywhere, but the main keyboard
  must be normal qwerty.
- PC compatible
- speed comparable to 8 Mhz 8088, or faster
- at least 512 kb RAM available for applications.
- at least ~700 kb permanent storage: disk, flash ram, or whatever
  they call it.
- if the permanent storage isn't in the form of a standard (5.25/3.5)
  DD/HD diskdrive, then I need a serial port.  Else it is welcome but
  not necessary.
- robust.  I don't want it to be squeezed between the doors of a
  train.

Any suggestions?

	Thanks in advance,
		Ernst de Ridder

P.S.
	If you know a machine like this which isn't in production
  anymore (after all, who is satisfied with 512 Kb, nowadays?), please
  let me know anyway.  Maybe I can get it second-hand.
--
	Qualitas qualitatem inducit. Semper ego qualitatem.

popa
iret

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar13.180205.6461@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

I forgot something in my wish list (which is below again): I don't want a
hard disk.  It makes things bigger, heavier, more vulnarable and more
expensive.

---

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/15/91)

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

>In <1991Mar13.180205.6461@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

Before we begin, let me first state that I am keying this in on
my Tandy 1100FD. What follows is Ernst's wish list for a laptop.
I will indicate the actual value for the 1100FD.

>I forgot something in my wish list (which is below again): I don't want a
>hard disk.  It makes things bigger, heavier, more vulnarable and more
>expensive.

1100FD -> doesn't have one, and I don't know of any way to put one
on it.

>I'm planning to buy a laptop or notebook, but after speaking about it
>with several friends, I'm going to believe that my wish list is a bit
>odd.  I will mainly use it for wordprocessing.  Wanted features are:

>- really portable.  Weight max. about 3 kg, preferably less.

1100FD weighs in at 6.41 lbs. Whoops, heavier than you want! But
to me it is very light!

>- size about a sheet (A4) of paper.  A *bit* bigger doesn't matter.

1100FD dimensions are 12 5/32" x 2 7/16" x 9 13/16" (closed)

>- It must be able to run for at least 4 hrs. before needing a recharge.

1100FD battery advertised to go for up to 5 hours, but I have found
that a lot of disk IO will drain it pretty fast.

>- 80x25 good readable text screen.  Graphics are not necessary,
>  although I don't think there are portables which can handle only
>  text.

80x25 CGA Monochromoe graphics, very easy to read and see screen.

>- Keys may not be too small; my fingers are rather big.

Keyboard is very comfortable, keys in typewriter section are essentially
full size.

>- Function/cursor keys may be placed anywhere, but the main keyboard
>  must be normal qwerty.

No problem there.

>- PC compatible

Got it!

>- speed comparable to 8 Mhz 8088, or faster

8MHz V20 processor

>- at least 512 kb RAM available for applications.

1100FD comes standard with 640K.

>- at least ~700 kb permanent storage: disk, flash ram, or whatever
>  the call it.

1100FD has a builtin 720K 3.5" floppy drive.

>- if the permanent storage isn't in the form of a standard (5.25/3.5)
>  DD/HD diskdrive, then I need a serial port.  Else it is welcome but
>  not necessary.

Whether you need them or not, it has a built in com port with a
DB9 connector, and a parallel printer port. An optional internal
modem is also available.

>- robust.  I don't want it to be squeezed between the doors of a
>  train.

The plastic case appears to be pretty strong, plus a nice carrying
case can help protect your laptop during transport as well.

The 1100FD also comes with MS-DOS built into ROM, which means
instant on and very fast boot. It also has the Deskmate user
interface software in ROM as well as the Deskmate word processing
software, Text, the Deskmate Spelling Checker (WITH it's word
library) ALL also built into ROM. So you could actual power up your
1100FD, edit a document, and spell check it without even having
to access your disk! All the other standard Deskmate options
come on floppy disk, along with a full MS-DOS disk.

I have used MS-Kermit and Proc-Comm V2.4.2 with it. I have used
teh Power C compiler with it with no problem. I'm sold on this little
jewel. Retail price is $799, but I got mine last Christmas when they
were only $699 (plus I got an additional 12% off with a special
discount).

>Any suggestions?

Yup! The Tandy 1100FD.

>	Thanks in advance,
>		Ernst de Ridder

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (03/16/91)

In article <1079@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
>
> >In <1991Mar13.180205.6461@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
> >- It must be able to run for at least 4 hrs. before needing a recharge.
>
> 1100FD battery advertised to go for up to 5 hours, but I have found
> that a lot of disk IO will drain it pretty fast.

What in fact is the range of battery hours you can get on the 1100FD,
compared to the advertised life of 5 hours. What is the average range,
aand what are the extremes. Thanks.

18
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/16/91)

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:

|hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

||In <1991Mar13.180205.6461@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

||- really portable.  Weight max. about 3 kg, preferably less.

|1100FD weighs in at 6.41 lbs. Whoops, heavier than you want! But
|to me it is very light!

Whoops, silly me! That's just my Americanism showing! I totally
mis-read your statement as 6 lbs. NOT 6 kg.!! Since 6.41 lbs is
lighter than 6 kg., then I suppose the 1100FD fits the bill there
anyway!

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

|In article <1079@uncw.UUCP>, session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
|| hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
|| >In <1991Mar13.180205.6461@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
|| >- It must be able to run for at least 4 hrs. before needing a recharge.
|| 1100FD battery advertised to go for up to 5 hours, but I have found
|| that a lot of disk IO will drain it pretty fast.
|What in fact is the range of battery hours you can get on the 1100FD,
|compared to the advertised life of 5 hours. What is the average range,
|aand what are the extremes. Thanks.

Mine will only run about two hours until the low battery light starts
blinking, but I feel that I have probably "mistreated" the battery
in mine by not letting it drain down completely when I first got
it before I would plug it back in. I have heard that if you do not let
NiCads drain down before recharcging them, they "learn" this value
as it's new "low" point".

Zack Sessions

ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) (03/16/91)

Actually Tandy 1100FD is the same thing as Panasonic CF-150B without
the backlighting.  They are all manufactured by Panasonic.  Their
difference are:  CF-150B uses lead acid battery instead of nicad
which has less problem with "memory" on the battery level.(correct
me if I am wrong, but I read this from PC-laptop magazine).  The
CF-150B has backlighting which Tandy doesn't have.  And you can
usually find CF-150B sell for under $600, good luck and happy
shopping
-Albert

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/17/91)

In article <17561@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) writes:
>CF-150B uses lead acid battery instead of nicad
>which has less problem with "memory" on the battery level.(correct
>me if I am wrong, but I read this from PC-laptop magazine).  The
>CF-150B has backlighting which Tandy doesn't have.  u can

A couple of corrections are in order.  The Tandy 1100FD does use the lead acid
batteries, which do not have any memory problems but are a bit heavier than
nicads,take longer to charge from complete discharge (about 10 hours) and are
MUCH cheaper.  I have three batteries for my 1100FD, they cost $30 each.
The other difference that you didn't mention was that the Panasonic can take
an additional 1 meg of RAM that the Tandy can't.  I've also heard two other
things: first, that the Panasonic has expected battery life of only an hour or
two (thanks in part to that backlit screen) while I know the Tandy batteries
will last about three hours; second, the Panasonic may be soon discontinued.
Finally, the Tandy has DeskMate built in to ROM (both have DOS in ROM); I'm
certainly no deskmate fan, but the Text application and a spell-checker are
there too -- nice to have a text editor there all the time!

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) (03/18/91)

In article <3520@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>A couple of corrections are in order.  The Tandy 1100FD does use the lead acid
>batteries, which do not have any memory problems but are a bit heavier than
>nicads,take longer to charge from complete discharge (about 10 hours) and are
>MUCH cheaper.  I have three batteries for my 1100FD, they cost $30 each.

Aren't you the guy who told us 1100FD uses nicad battery???

>The other difference that you didn't mention was that the Panasonic can take
>an additional 1 meg of RAM that the Tandy can't.  I've also heard two other
>things: first, that the Panasonic has expected battery life of only an hour or
>two (thanks in part to that backlit screen) while I know the Tandy batteries
>will last about three hours; second, the Panasonic may be soon discontinued.

1. You can turn off the backlit in Panasonic to get 3 hour of
battery time.  Saying Tandy has longer battery life is non-sense
2. Unless you have clear evidence, do not speculate any prediction
on dicontinuation of a product.  Any product can be discontinued any
time.  But the Panasonic is still selling on major mail orders.
Are you running some promotion for Tandy?

>Finally, the Tandy has DeskMate built in to ROM (both have DOS in ROM); I'm
>certainly no deskmate fan, but the Text application and a spell-checker are
>there too -- nice to have a text editor there all the time!

For two hundred dollars of saving, you can buy far better software
like MS-Works.  IMHO,there is really not much reason to get Tandy
over Panasonic unless you like to pay extra for convenient Tandy
service.

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/19/91)

ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:

>In article <3520@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>>A couple of corrections are in order.  The Tandy 1100FD does use the lead acid
>>batteries, which do not have any memory problems but are a bit heavier than
>>nicads,take longer to charge from complete discharge (about 10 hours) and are
>>MUCH cheaper.  I have three batteries for my 1100FD, they cost $30 each.
>
>Aren't you the guy who told us 1100FD uses nicad battery???

No, I was the guy who <implied> that the 1100FD used nicads. Now
that Lee mentioned different, I checked my manual and sure enough
it does use lead-acid batteries. The life is stated as "3.0 hours
with 10% FDD duty, 4.5 hours without useing the FDD".

>1. You can turn off the backlit in Panasonic to get 3 hour of
>battery time.  Saying Tandy has longer battery life is non-sense

Aw c'mon, this is a definite advantage. I'm sure that that backlite
screen with one reason why many choose the Panasonic over the Tandy,
and now your telling them not to use it? (Simply to make the battery
last longer)

>>Finally, the Tandy has DeskMate built in to ROM (both have DOS in ROM); I'm
>>certainly no deskmate fan, but the Text application and a spell-checker are
>>there too -- nice to have a text editor there all the time!

>For two hundred dollars of saving, you can buy far better software
>like MS-Works.  IMHO,there is really not much reason to get Tandy
>over Panasonic unless you like to pay extra for convenient Tandy
>service.

You didn't get the point. The text editor and spelling checker are
provided FREE with the 1100FD, you don't have to pay $200 more dollars
to get something which may be better. On a single floppy drive system
it IS very convenient to be able to call up a text editor by simply
hitting a function key and not having to swap out floppies.

Plus, isn't MS-Works a Windows application?
The 1100FD simply can't handle Windows. (I may be wrong about the
MS-Works being Windows based, but seems like I read that somewhere ...)

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP

ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) (03/19/91)

In article <1085@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:
>
>>1. You can turn off the backlit in Panasonic to get 3 hour of
>>battery time.  Saying Tandy has longer battery life is non-sense
>
>Aw c'mon, this is a definite advantage. I'm sure that that backlite
>screen with one reason why many choose the Panasonic over the Tandy,
>and now your telling them not to use it? (Simply to make the battery
>last longer)

Ha!  What I said was(read my lips): YOU CAN GET THE SAME BATTERY
LIFE AS TANDY IF YOU TURN THE BACKLIT OFF.
I did not tell anyone NOT to use the backlighting.  But in the
previous article.   Someone imply that Tandy is superior because it has
longer battery power.  What a joke!

>>For two hundred dollars of saving, you can buy far better software
>>like MS-Works.  IMHO,there is really not much reason to get Tandy
>>over Panasonic unless you like to pay extra for convenient Tandy
>>service.
>
>You didn't get the point. The text editor and spelling checker are
>provided FREE with the 1100FD, you don't have to pay $200 more dollars

Tandy costs $799 (without the holiday discount) while Panasonic cost
less than $599.  Do I need any more explanation to convince you what
I said?

>Plus, isn't MS-Works a Windows application?

Obviously you are not much of MS-DOS user.  MS-Works is NOT a window
base application though it sports pull-sown menu and window-like
interface.  It offers far more power(forget about the music editor
for Deskmate) than Deskmate.

There is really no need to keep this stupid argument on.  Here is
the choice for people who want something like Panasonic
CF-150B/Tandy 1100FD twin:
  Both are essentially the same thing eccept 1.Pansonic has
backlighting and cost around $599.
2. Tandy has built-in deskmate, no backlighting, and cost $799
through Radio Shack.

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (03/19/91)

In article <17624@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) says:
[stuff deleted]

>There is really no need to keep this stupid argument on.  Here is
>the choice for people who want something like Panasonic
>CF-150B/Tandy 1100FD twin:
>  Both are essentially the same thing eccept 1.Pansonic has
>backlighting and cost around $599.
>2. Tandy has built-in deskmate, no backlighting, and cost $799
>through Radio Shack.

Actually, the 1100FD is pretty much always on sale for $699. At least it is
again. And, as someone mentioned, it may be worth the extra $100 to have the
convenience of Tandy tech support and service. I've talked to their software
support people about a problem, and they seemed pretty knowledgable.

Just my 2 cents. By the way, I'd much rather have MW Works in ROM than
DeskMate. :-)

Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0121

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/20/91)

In article <1085@uncw.UUCP> session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:
>
>Plus, isn't MS-Works a Windows application?
>The 1100FD simply can't handle Windows. (I may be wrong about the
>MS-Works being Windows based, but seems like I read that somewhere ...)

No, Zack, Works isn't windows based, but it does use the same metaphor in a
character-based environment.  I used Works for awhile; it worked ok but I didn'treally like it.  I also used LotusWorks (formerly AlphaWorks), which is much
better than MSWorks.  However, I rarely use spreadsheets or databases and hated
the lack of protocols in the communications options, so now I use LetterPerfect
for word processing and {Commo} for telecom.

This also implies that I rarely, if ever use DeskMate Text, which is true.  But
it _is_ there, it _is_ free (an 1100FD only costs about $100 more than a
CF150B in the Seattle area), and word processing is what I do about 75% of the
time with my machine.

The great adventure with this computer is finding good software that works
well in such a limited environment.  I've used a lot of stuff, and have a
pretty good idea now of what works well and what doesn't.

Anyway, you got all my points, and I appreciate that!

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari
                                  Lee Hauser
          If I pay for access, I don't have to disclaim ANYTHING!

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (03/20/91)

In article <91078.105334Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu>, Scott D. Camp <Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu>
says:

>In article <17624@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis )
>says:
>[stuff deleted]
>>
>>There is really no need to keep this stupid argument on.  Here is
>>the choice for people who want something like Panasonic
>>CF-150B/Tandy 1100FD twin:
>>  Both are essentially the same thing eccept 1.Pansonic has
>>backlighting and cost around $599.
>>2. Tandy has built-in deskmate, no backlighting, and cost $799
>>through Radio Shack.
>
>Actually, the 1100FD is pretty much always on sale for $699. At least it is
>again. And, as someone mentioned, it may be worth the extra $100 to have the
>convenience of Tandy tech support and service. I've talked to their software
>support people about a problem, and they seemed pretty knowledgable.

Don't know the exact price, but if you shop theu Merrymac in Texas, you
can get the 1100fd for $500-something.

Bob M.

In article <17624@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:
>Someone imply that Tandy is superior because it has
>longer battery power.  What a joke!

Hmm, I didn't mean to imply that the 1100FD was especially superior,
just that it has better battery life with no effort (I suppose turning
off the backlight isn't much effort after all).  Frankly, I wish I'd
known about the Panasonic before I bought the Tandy...

It [Works]offers far more power(forget about the music editor
>for Deskmate) than Deskmate.

Well, I don't know about that, having used them both (and I dislike
them both).  Works is certainly more convenient to use, but Deskmate
is much more configurable and flexible.  Plus, once again, Deskmate is
included in the price of the machine and its core is in ROM, so less
fooling with disks to use the text editor and interface.  Deskmate
does come on multiple disks (I got works onto one system disk and one
data disk).  They both have so many pros and cons I call it a toss-up.
BTW, the music editor is not included with 1100FD Deskamte because the
machine doesn't have the Tandy music chip, just a plain old speaker.

>There is really no need to keep this stupid argument on.  Here is
>the choice for people who want something like Panasonic
>CF-150B/Tandy 1100FD twin:
>  Both are essentially the same thing eccept 1.Pansonic has
>backlighting and cost around $599.
>2. Tandy has built-in deskmate, no backlighting, and cost $799
>through Radio Shack.

Not a stupid argument -- think of it as a debate that will be
beneficial to people trying to reach a decision.  I have heard, also,
that Panasonic is discontinuing the CF150B, while Radio Shack has said
nothing about discontuinuing the 1100FD.  If the Panasonic rumor is
true, the whole issue may become moot.

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======

session@uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) (03/20/91)

ee52ffr@sdcc3.ucsd.edu (Ante-Loraxis ) writes:

>Ha!  What I said was(read my lips): YOU CAN GET THE SAME BATTERY
>LIFE AS TANDY IF YOU TURN THE BACKLIT OFF.
>I did not tell anyone NOT to use the backlighting.  But in the
>previous article.   Someone imply that Tandy is superior because it has
>longer battery power.  What a joke!

OK, backlighted display over non-backlighted display is a plus. Longer
battery power over shorter battery power (using normal operating
conditions) is a plus. So it depends on which "plus" you are
interested in or think is more important. I knew nothing of the
Panasonic when I bought the 1100FD, and the display is just
fine for me, so I don't miss the backlighted display. Plus 4.5
hours is still longer than 3 hours.

>Tandy costs $799 (without the holiday discount) while Panasonic cost
>less than $599.  Do I need any more explanation to convince you what
>I said?

True, the full retail price of the Tandy does appear higher than
the Panasonic, but anyone who would buy such a major purchase
from Radio Shack doesn't know Radio Shack very well. Virtually
EVERYTHING they sell goes on sale at one time or another, and that
is the only way I will buy anythong from Radio Shack that costs
more than $50 full retail. Plus, like you said, Tandy has
very convenient service, being all over the place.

>>Plus, isn't MS-Works a Windows application?

>Obviously you are not much of MS-DOS user.  MS-Works is NOT a window
>base application though it sports pull-sown menu and window-like
>interface.  It offers far more power(forget about the music editor
>for Deskmate) than Deskmate.

I would not really say that I am "not much of [a] MS-DOS user", but
I would say that I am in-experianced with MS-DOS, only having my laptop
for a few months, so I don't really know alot about the entire
market place, just what I have been exposed to in the last 3 years
when I worked at GE. They did not use MS-Works.

>There is really no need to keep this stupid argument on.  Here is
>the choice for people who want something like Panasonic
>CF-150B/Tandy 1100FD twin:
>  Both are essentially the same thing eccept 1.Pansonic has
>backlighting and cost around $599.
>2. Tandy has built-in deskmate, no backlighting, and cost $799
>through Radio Shack.

Since I already commented about Tandy's pricing policies, I
think the only advantage the Panasonic has over the Tandy is
the backlighting, and it can be a negative to someone who doesn't
need it but does need the longest possible battery life. Plus
the Panasonic has a "supported" upgrade to more memory. (I
would like to know if anyone responded to recent requests for
infor on how to upgrade the 1100FD.)

I am not trying to argue with you, 	I merely wanted to point out
there are more opinions out there than your.

Zack Sessions
session@uncw.UUCP