[comp.sys.laptops] Backlight vs. reflective, Tandy 1100FD vs. Panasonic 150CFB

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (03/22/91)

In article <BLK.91Mar19123758@vanity.mitre.org> blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) writes:

>Considering the Tandy 1100FD vs. the Panasonic 150CFB (?) :
>  I've read that backlit screens are not very reflective when the
>backlighting is turned down or off, so non-backlit screens are easier
>to read outside (in daytime :-) than backlit screens.  Can anyone
>comment on this?  How about in a well lit room, or at a desk with a
>lamp?  Does a relective screen do just as well as a backlit in these
>cases?

I purchased a Tandy 1100FD. After using it on a trip for a week, I
returned it because of two problems:
    1. While the non-backlit screen is really excellent for its type,
there were some circumstances when it was truly unreadable--like
in a hotel bed with a side table lamp.  I just gave up.  On an airplane
with the usual seat lights it was excellent--as good or better than my
current backlit Toshiba T1000SE for readability.  In really bright
circumstances, I think the 1000FD is more readable than the 1000SE.
    2. The embedded keypad, with its double-duty function-key
assignments, is implemented on the 1100FD in a way that is truly awful.
The sheer stupidity of this design transcends my power to describe it.

This is from memory--it was 14 months ago--so I don't promise absolute
accuracy:
First, in order to activate the embedded keypad, there is a awkward
key combination.  Then, since there is no status light or indication in
any form, you don't know if you have done it.  This leaves you in the
exceedingly awkward state of not knowing what will happen when you press
those keys!  The User Guide, an abomination of its type, says very
little about anything.  On this topic, it says to try the key to see
what it does.  There is also a FN shift key, as I recall.  It has a
different effect depending upon whether the embedded numeric keypad has
been activated or not.  It was all so ugly as to be unbelievable.

Other that these two problems, I thought the 1100FD was a nice machine.
I wound up with a Toshiba T1000SE which I like at lot more overall.
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776