[comp.sys.laptops] Which you prefer

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar22.000337.7759@disk.uucp> andy@disk.uucp (andy) writes:
>You are correct: backlit displays, which do _not_ use reflective backing, are
>very difficult to read when turned off. Also, most backlit screens are totally
>washed out in bright sunlight, making them unsuitable for outdoor use.....

I guess most people prefer backlit.  Maybe that is why all (most ?) the
286 and 386sx notebook computer have backlit screen.  I personally
prefer the reflective and never have had problems with my Toshibas
and Poqet.  So far I have managed to make the screen readable to me.
The reflective screen uses much less power and should also be cheaper.
I think this is a personal preference and don't want start an argument
here.  However, if there is a sizable portion of people (say 20 to
30 %) prefer reflective (or can live with it and save some money),
we can send manufacturers a message to offer the reflective as an
alternative (at a lower cost).  I appreciate people can respond to this
message (to me or the net) so that we can have some statistics.  Even
we only get 20 to 30 responses, that would give us some indications
on the preference.

Charles S. Ih.  University of Delaware.  302-451-8173.