[comp.sys.laptops] Backlight vs. reflective

blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) (03/19/91)

Considering the Tandy 1100FD vs. the Panasonic 150CFB (?) :
  I've read that backlit screens are not very reflective when the
backlighting is turned down or off, so non-backlit screens are easier
to read outside (in daytime :-) than backlit screens.  Can anyone
comment on this?  How about in a well lit room, or at a desk with a
lamp?  Does a relective screen do just as well as a backlit in these
cases?

--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (03/21/91)

In article <BLK.91Mar19123758@vanity.mitre.org> blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) writes:
>  I've read that backlit screens are not very reflective when the
>backlighting is turned down or off, so non-backlit screens are easier
>to read outside (in daytime :-) than backlit screens.  Can anyone
>comment on this?  How about in a well lit room, or at a desk with a
>lamp?  Does a relective screen do just as well as a backlit in these
>cases?

Good question.  In the brief time I had a Tandy 1400HD, which has a very nice
backlit screen, I tried it a few times in normal room lighting with backlightingoff and hated it.  The 1100FD's screen is obviously designed without backlighting in mind and works very well -- even in relatively poor light (sitting on a
sofa with a table lamp at the wrong angle) the screen is acceptable, and works
its best in flourescent-lit offices.  Can't comment on the CF150B, as I've neveractually seen one...

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

andy@disk.uucp (andy) (03/22/91)

You are correct: backlit displays, which do _not_ use reflective backing, are
very difficult to read when turned off. Also, most backlit screens are totally
washed out in bright sunlight, making them unsuitable for outdoor use (one
instance when I miss my old Toshiba T1000).

ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{= Achilles =}}}) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.000337.7759@disk.uucp> andy@disk.uucp (andy) writes:
>You are correct: backlit displays, which do _not_ use reflective backing, are
>very difficult to read when turned off. Also, most backlit screens are totally
>washed out in bright sunlight, making them unsuitable for outdoor use (one

Maybe that's why the manufactors come out with sidelit and edgelit
screen?  Does those screen have reflective back?  I noticed the
significant improvement T1000LE(sidelit) has over T1000SE(backlit).
-Albert

andy@disk.uucp (andy) (03/24/91)

Though Toshiba's edgelit displays (T1000LE, T1200XE and T2000SX) are considerably
briter than the backlit screens, I don't believe any use reflective backing. The
edgelit LCDs should look a bit better outdoors, but still won't match a
reflective LCD for readability.