[comp.sys.laptops] Connecting the Model 100 to a Mac+ or above

philbo@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Phil Gross) (03/22/91)

Greetings to all in Netrothea!

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but has been lost in the
mists of time...
I have been told that to connect a Tandy Model-100 to an old Mac, all that
was needed was an Imagewriter cable. Unfortunately for my Model 100, I
have a Mac Plus with the new cable configuration. (The DB-5 pin (or is
it DB-9, I can't remember))
I've tried just buying a cable that fits both, but I can't seem to get
them to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as 300 baud is
sslllooooowwww...

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/26/91)

In article <PHILBO.91Mar22101212@chaos.chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>, philbo@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Phil Gross) writes:
> Greetings to all in Netrothea!
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked before, but has been lost in the
> mists of time...
> I have been told that to connect a Tandy Model-100 to an old Mac, all that
> was needed was an Imagewriter cable. Unfortunately for my Model 100, I
> have a Mac Plus with the new cable configuration. (The DB-5 pin (or is
> it DB-9, I can't remember))
> I've tried just buying a cable that fits both, but I can't seem to get them
> to connect.

Geesh, a DB-9 for a printer port on the plus? Wow, that is purty old.  Hmm. If
you are even the slightest bit inclined electronically, I would go to Radio
Hack and buy the parts to build your own cable. It is VERY easy.  You will need
the following:
--> Pinout (serial port) assignments for both the Tandy and the Plus. (If you can't
find the one for the Plus, I'll see if I can scrape it up)
--> A DB-9 plug, for into the Mac (pretty sure this is female, but check)
--> A plug for the Tandy - I have NO idea what kind this is. Since you mentioned
someone told you an Imagewriter cable would work, I am inclined to think this
is a DB-25.  I seem to vaguely rememeber them using DIN 8 "stereo" plugs for a
lot of things though.
--> Shielded cable with several wires (9 wire cable is a good choice)

After you get these items, hooking it together is the fun part. When you get
the pin assignment charts, tell me and I will e-mail (or post) instructions on
hookup.
Another thing: be sure to get *shielded* cable, and get unflipped cable. If in
doubt, get tandy wire catalog number 278-775.  Also, try to keep the cable
length under 50 feet :-)
--
 | Internet: dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu | Famous Last Words:              |