[comp.sys.laptops] Casio BOSS / Sharp Wizard

martin@netcom.COM (Martin Hall) (03/23/91)

I would like to get either a Casion BOSS or Sharp Wizard?  Which one is
better....Ability to pass info between a Mac or PC is a plus.  What do I
need to look out for?

					----Martin----
--

----Martin---- 					        Martin L.W. Hall
USENET: martin@sunworld.com OR martin@netcom.com 	MCI:    mlwhall

Technology Editor			               	(415) 363-5213
SunWorld 2421 Broadway, Suite 200, Redwood City, CA 94063

john@killer.uucp (John Schettino x4156) (03/23/91)

My spouse and I both own Sharp personal organizers (ZQ5000) and love them.

Plusses include: qwerty keyboards with usable key size, layout, and
feedback; very readable screen, and nice software. The Sharps have
connection cables and software for MACs and PCs, as well as to each
other.

The ZQ7000 series has double-width screens (same size as the CASIO BOSS)
and larger sizes, the 5000 series has a nice small size and good screen,
the 2000 series is too small to use.

The Sharp prices are generally lower for the same *size* machine, as
compared to the Casio.

Prices:
ZQ2000: ~$80
5000:   ~$150-200
7000:   ~$250-350

Try them out! See if you can get one with a "no questions asked" money
back offer, and *USE* it for a coupla weeks. You'll either love it and
keep it for years or you'll find you never use it.

Good Luck!

John Schettino		john@ctc.contel.com

jew@charon.sunquest.com (James E. Ward) (03/23/91)

I have a BOSS.  My friend has a Wizard.  I occasionally pass data to a PC.
He doesn't.  Mine has a qwerty keyboard, his doesn't (but I understand
they have qwerty models).  The thing is, I find my CASIO data bank watch
more usable and handy.  I carry the BOOS, but rely most heavily on the
watch.  For my purposes, an expanded data bank watch would be more
desireable.

andy@disk.uucp (andy) (03/24/91)

I use a Casio SF-7500 B.O.S.S. (64K; membrane keyboard). Works fine for
casual applications; the models with chiklet keys allow faster typing, but
are bulkier than I wanted. Both B.O.S.S. and Wizard organizers can
connect to a Mac or PC with the appropriate interface kit.

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.172721.4545@netcom.COM> martin@netcom.COM (Martin Hall) writes:
>I would like to get either a Casion BOSS or Sharp Wizard?  Which one is
>better....Ability to pass info between a Mac or PC is a plus.  What do I
>need to look out for?

Have you considered any other machines?  The Psion Organiser II series
of machines are quite nice.  Current models have 20x4 line displays and
come with software comparable to the Casio and Sharp machines.  In
addition they have two sockets for EPROM and RAM expansion from 16K to
256K+ and an expansion port for serial adaptors (both MS-DOS and Mac
software), modems, printers, bar code readers and other devices.  These
machines also have a full programming language built in, making it easy
to write your own software or to get additional software.  There are
megabytes of free software available, or you can buy commercial
software which includes a Lotus 123 compatible spreadsheet, word
processors, and sophisticated database managers (the Organiser comes
with a built in free form database manager).

I own one of these machines myself, and run a mailing list for them.
There are also several BBSs around the world that support them as
well.  If you would like more information feel free to ask.

Another machine to consider is the HP-48sx with the Sparcom Information
Manager.  I'm less familiar with this machine.  You could try
posting to Comp.sys.handhelds for more information on this and
other handheld machines.

You can get more information on all kinds of handheld machines from
this list of vendors.  Ask for their catalogs and talk to their
technical support.

Company:	Personal Computing Tools
Work:		408-395-6600
Fax:		408-354-4260
Postal:		17419 Farley Road, Los Goatos CA 95030
Notes:          Psion dealer, scientific, data coltection,CAD, serial
ports, IBM hardware, software, tech support 800-767-6728

Company:	EduCALC
Work:		800-633-2252 x356 (orders),800-677-7001(customer service)
Fax:		714-582-1445
Postal:		27953 Cabot Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Notes:		Psion, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Cambridge Z88, Casio, Sharp

Company:	TPC
Work:		800-444-3199
Notes:		Atari Portfolio $379, Casio, Sharp

Company:	Elek-Tek
Work:		800-395-1000
Notes:		708-677-76600 technical assistance
Notes:		HP calculators,MS-DOS, Macintosh, IBM, Sharp Wizard, Casio BOSS

--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) (03/24/91)

jew@charon.sunquest.com (James E. Ward) writes:

I have a Wizard.. here's my experience

>I have a BOSS.  My friend has a Wizard.  I occasionally pass data to a PC.
>He doesn't.
I do fairly regular backups and
use the Wizard as an Ascii terminal sometimes when on the road..
I upload and download to the workstation at my office and to other systems..
>Mine has a qwerty keyboard, his doesn't (but I understand
>they have qwerty models).
Sure they do..
Your friend must have a Sharp 7X00, it's obsolete (still useful, but
superceeded by the Wizard 8X00 which is 40x8 display and QWERTY
The Casio display and keyboard was better in my opinion, than the
Sharp 7X00 but not as fine as the Sharp 8X00.

>The thing is, I find my CASIO data bank watch
>more usable and handy.  I carry the BOSS, but rely most heavily on the
>watch.  For my purposes, an expanded data bank watch would be more
>desireable.

I'm not touching that one.. I find my Wizard more useful..:->
Sorry, James :->
I really like being able to search for strings in names/addresses/phone numbers/
schedule items.., That would be a basic requirement in any organizer
that I would fine useful.
The QWERTY Casio was out before the QWERTY Wizard,
I really tried to use the Casio SF9000, but was turned off by the way
the firmware
handles daily schedules, I think the Wizard firmware is more usable.
I also have a Seiko Databank watch.. can't stand the way you have
to enter data.. so now it's just an alarm watch with alphanumeric reminders.

I suggest buying the Wizard OZ-8200 (unfortunately it costs
$400, full retail at Sharper Image, they have a monopoly for now),
if you don't think you need 128K of storage for schedules,
address/phone numbers and memos, the OZ-8000 (64K) is just fine
(J&R Music World for $299).  I am at 90% of 128K after cleaning up
just the other day.. it's amazing how much information one can collect
with a handheld.
If you don't care about the application/expansion cards
and larger display, buy the 5200 (64K) (About $179 , I think).
--
Doug Drye KD4NC

blk@mitre.org (Brian L. Kahn) (03/25/91)

>I suggest buying the Wizard OZ-8200 (unfortunately it costs
>$400, full retail at Sharper Image, they have a monopoly for now),
>if you don't think you need 128K of storage for schedules,
>address/phone numbers and memos, the OZ-8000 (64K) is just fine
>(J&R Music World for $299).

How is the Casio BOSS and/or Wizard OZ-8x00 better than an atari
portfolio?  Same price range, similar displays and keyboards, right?
Is it just a preference of firmware calendar/phonebooks vs. MSDOS?
The display on the Portfolio seems thoroughly readable.  I guess the
atari is bigger, yes?  Would the size difference (whatever it is) make
much difference in how often you carry it?

--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) (03/26/91)

I haven't seen the Sharp Wiz, but you don't want the Casio BOSS -
sorriest piece of hardware I ever saw. I spent my christmas
vacation in California trying to decipher the manual for my
father-in-law who had just bought one. Ergonomics from hell,
that's my five-cents worth.  The BOSS has several applications
built in, like Calendar,Notepad,Calculator, etc, a kind of
Sidekick for the shirt pocket. A very good idea; as soon as
someone comes out with a workable one I'll buy it. However the
BOSS has the following disadvantages: 1) Inconsistent key operations.
Sometimes you use the Enter key to confirm your menu choices,
sometimes you use a special Confirm key. 2) A lot of the features
are not displayed on the menus, you have to have the (thick and
japanese-speak written) manual to know about them.
3) User configurability is minimal, I want access to foreign characters
that aren't there. 4) Just about all texts on the display appear
in uppercase, I don't think the designers have ever used English
on a regular basis.
Thanks for asking, I always needed to blow of some steam about
that machine.

Kari
--

Kari Hardarson         |  Twas brillig and the slithy toves
217 Jackson Circle     |  did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (03/26/91)

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) writes:

>The Casio display and keyboard was better in my opinion, than the
>Sharp 7X00 but not as fine as the Sharp 8X00.

Fine?  Do you mean resolution?  I couldn't see significant differences.
One of my peeves (and I am considering switching from C to W) about the
Wiz is the way it handles (or doesn't) capital letters.  Comments?

>I really like being able to search for strings in names/addresses/phone numbers/
>schedule items.., That would be a basic requirement in any organizer
>that I would fine useful.

The Boss does all of those, but doesn't allow you to do it case independent
or with wildcards.  Sharp?

>I really tried to use the Casio SF9000, but was turned off by the way
>the firmware
>handles daily schedules, I think the Wizard firmware is more usable.

This is of great interest to me.  I love the Casio scheduler, except for
the innability to set up a repeating appointment, especially "first
Saturday of the month" type stuff.  Except for that, it's great.  What
was your complaint re Casio, or the superior function of the Wizard?

>I also have a Seiko Databank watch.. can't stand the way you have
>to enter data.. so now it's just an alarm watch with alphanumeric reminders.

If you're a Mac user, you could use a very nice HyperCard stack to do
this for you, from Deus Ex Machina.  If you're not, oh well.  I have one
of these too, and it's almost completely phone numbers I update weekly.

Genuinely interested in your comments,
Ric
Bretschneider

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider

marmen@bwdla31.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (03/26/91)

I use a Sharp zq-5300m. It has 64kb memory, qwerty keyboard and a port
to backup the data onto my PC. It has the basic wizard applications at
a cheaper cost, but cannot use application cards.

I find it extremely usefull. Since I am sometimes oncall, I have all
the relevant information on it to handle a trouble call.

Since organizers are very much a personal choice, I don't really
recommend a particular brand to anyone. I feel that the sharp/casio/atari
are all roughly comparable, and it will be the small differences which
will make one model more preferable over another.

rob...
| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

mckay@ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D. McKay) (03/27/91)

In article <BLK.91Mar25132339@vanity.mitre.org>, blk@mitre.org (Brian L.
Kahn) writes:
|> How is the Casio BOSS and/or Wizard OZ-8x00 better than an atari
|> portfolio?  Same price range, similar displays and keyboards, right?
|> Is it just a preference of firmware calendar/phonebooks vs. MSDOS?
|> The display on the Portfolio seems thoroughly readable.  I guess the
|> atari is bigger, yes?  Would the size difference (whatever it is)
make
|> much difference in how often you carry it?

I have a Wizard OZ-8200 (128K).  I've seen a Portfolio and I think the
biggest difference is in the software.

The Wizard software is pretty consistant from "application" to
"application" (ie. schedule, memo pad, outliner).  The keys do the same
things, etc.  It also has a global string search which is wonderful for
finding things!  The scheduler on the Wizard has single item, day at a
time, week at a time and two month views.  The day at a time view
includes a "time bar" graphically showing your appointments.

I suppose you could do the same with a careful choice of software for
the portfolio, but I have yet to see such software.  Mostly waht I've
seen on the portfolio is PC stuff which is not as well suited to the
smaller screen and keyboard.

Carrying the Wizard can be a bit of a pain.  It will fit in a inside
pocket of a jacket, but I find I often carry it in a case I got from
Sharper Image.  The case looks like one of those leather "DayTimer"
cases and helps protect the Wizard from being dropped, etc.

--Dwight D. McKay, Purdue University, Engineering Computer Network
--Office: MSEE 104f, Phone: (317) 494-3561
--mckay@ecn.purdue.edu --or--  ...rutgers!pur-ee!mckay

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (03/29/91)

In article <2576@borg.cs.unc.edu> hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) writes:
>I haven't seen the Sharp Wiz, but you don't want the Casio BOSS -
>sorriest piece of hardware I ever saw.

I found this weird.  My BOSS 7000 is simple and straightforward to use.
Some features are a bit sticky, like having to look up in the manual the
foreign character equvalences, but the calendar, scheduler, phone book
and memo pad are nice to have.  It is very small and light.

The original posting asked about the BOSS vs. the Portfolio, which I
also have.  The Pofo is nice, but a lot bigger and heavier.  I like the
built-in spreadsheet, which is very useful.

Anyway, check the machine and see if it meets your needs.  The flames in
the referenced posting are not a universal opinion.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577