[comp.sys.laptops] T2000SX problems...

jdpierc@PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) (03/30/91)

I broke down and bought a Toshiba T2000SX about a week ago,
thinking that I wouldn't have any problems because Toshiba is
pretty much THE name brand for laptops...

I noticed that the real time clock seemed to be losing quite a
bit of time.  At first I wasn't certain that I hadn't just mis-set
the time, so I started keeping a log.  At 8:00am this morning,
I set the real time clock against "POPCORN".  At 8:00pm that
same evening, I checked the real time clock against "POPCORN"
and found that the clock had lost 35+ minutes.

The T2000SX was fully charged this morning, and was used about
6 hours with the charger plugged in nearly all of the time.

I tried to call Toshiba this morning to see if anyone else had
reported a similar problem, but they were closed because it was
Good Friday...

Anybody have a similar problem?  Everything else seems to be
working just fine.

  Jerry Pierce
  jdpierc@PacBell.COM

I wrote a bit earlier:

>I noticed that the real time clock seemed to be losing quite a
>bit of time.  At first I wasn't certain that I hadn't just mis-set
>the time, so I started keeping a log.  At 8:00am this morning,
>I set the real time clock against "POPCORN".  At 8:00pm that
>same evening, I checked the real time clock against "POPCORN"
>and found that the clock had lost 35+ minutes.
>
>The T2000SX was fully charged this morning, and was used about
>6 hours with the charger plugged in nearly all of the time.

Now comes the clincher.  I decided to run test3 (the setup program)
and it showed THE CORRECT DATE AND TIME.  I exitted from test3 and
did a "now" and a "time" and both show the incorrect time!!!  Sheesh.

I then rebooted the machine, and did a "now" and "time" and it shows
the correct time.  Now the only thing I can figure is that the DOS
pseudo-clock gets the date/time from the real time clock at boot,
and then it's on it's own.  This is nothing more than a guess, mind
you, but can anyone else offer a better explanation?  Please!!?!?!  :-)

Interesting little problem...  Time to crack open the manuals again.

   Jerry Pierce
   jdpierc@PacBell.COM