[comp.sys.laptops] 386SX-20 40 Meg Notebook is coming soon for under $2000!

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (03/25/91)

A friend of mine back home who is a manager of a regional sales
office for a large IBM PC clone has recently told me that they
are working closely with a Japanese company in developing a 386SX
*20* Megahertz notebook with standard *40* meg hard drive with VGA
LCD screen for under $2,000!!!

Right now, I'm an owner of a Zeos 286 Notebook which I paid $2,000...
If I could have waited a bit I would have been able to get a much
better unit for the same price... This particular 386SX-20 unit was
suppose to be out by now but has been postponed due to design delays.
I believe that they are aiming to have the prototypes ready by
the beginning of the summer and definitely ready by Christmas season...

So if any of you folks out there are interested, please email me
so that I can keep you on an interest list...
George

--
  George Wang - Networking Development                     T     T
  National Center for Supercomputing Applications          |  T  |

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar25.064131.3664@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
>A friend of mine back home who is a manager of a regional sales
>office for a large IBM PC clone company has recently told me that they
>are working closely with a Japanese company in developing a 386SX
>*20* Megahertz notebook with standard *40* meg hard drive with VGA
>LCD screen for under $2,000!!!

Some new information:
I talked to the company for this laptop and they've told me that they
are aiming for it to be released in JUNE of this year... So it looks
like the Christmas time plan has changed...

To all that have emailed me... Please be sure that your email account
will be valid this summer. Some folks had some strange UUCP bang
path (!) addresses which us internet folks have some trouble handling
so if you have an internet type email address please send that one
instead..

Thanks
George

--

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (03/30/91)

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:

   A friend of mine back home who is a manager of a regional sales
   office for a large IBM PC clone has recently told me that they
   are working closely with a Japanese company in developing a 386SX
   *20* Megahertz notebook with standard *40* meg hard drive with VGA
   LCD screen for under $2,000!!!

   Right now, I'm an owner of a Zeos 286 Notebook which I paid $2,000...
   If I could have waited a bit I would have been able to get a much
   better unit for the same price... This particular 386SX-20 unit was
   suppose to be out by now but has been postponed due to design delays.
   I believe that they are aiming to have the prototypes ready by
   the beginning of the summer and definitely ready by Christmas season...

   So if any of you folks out there are interested, please email me
   so that I can keep you on an interest list...

Ahem.  This sounds both third-hand and blatently commercial to me.
Please keep advertising for unannounced, unavailable vaporproducts off
comp.sys.laptops, and the rest of the net for that matter.

By Xmas, VGA, 20 MHz 386SX, 40 MB disk notebooks (ie, <8 lbs) should
not be terribly special.  $2,000 would be a good price, but sounds
rather pie-in-the-sky to me.  With AMD's new power-conserving,
highly-integrated Am386 part, we'll probably even be seeing the first
25-40 MHz notebooks by Xmas.

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (03/31/91)

In article <JONATHAN.91Mar29113116@speedy.cs.pitt.edu> jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:

>Ahem.  This sounds both third-hand and blatently commercial to me.
>Please keep advertising for unannounced, unavailable vaporproducts off
>comp.sys.laptops, and the rest of the net for that matter.

I am just merely allowing other interested notebook owners/purchasers
know that there will be a newer and better laptop that they can
buy for the money. If you noticed, I mentioned that I am an owner
of a Zeos 286 Notebook... At the time, that was the best deal around..
I'm sure that other users would like to know if better deals exist
given that they may have to wait a little bit...
Again, I am just letting others know that a better deal will exist.

>By Xmas, VGA, 20 MHz 386SX, 40 MB disk notebooks (ie, <8 lbs) should
>not be terribly special.  $2,000 would be a good price, but sounds
>rather pie-in-the-sky to me.  With AMD's new power-conserving,
>highly-integrated Am386 part, we'll probably even be seeing the first
>25-40 MHz notebooks by Xmas.

If you've bothered to read my follow up message, you would have noticed
that I mentioned that the notebook is now being targeted for a JUNE
sales release.. In the original message, I mentioned that the prototype
design should be ready by June if not sooner (there were some design/
production delays)...

George

--
  George Wang - Networking Development                     T     T
  National Center for Supercomputing Applications          |  T  |
  INTERNET: gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu                             \_|_/
  UUCP: gargoyle!igloo!gwang  PH: (217) 244-4020              -

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (04/01/91)

Here is the address and phone of the company offering this Notebook:

VIP Computers, Inc.
960 Industrial Drive
Unit 7
Elmhurst, IL 60126
(708) 832-3080 (Toll free number soon)

Their line of computers are called AUVA computers... I talked to the
manager today and he said that they should have brochures and
catalogs on the Notebook in a week or so. Also he mentioned that
a 486-25 Mhz NOTEBOOK is also available.. As a matter of fact, these
two Notebooks (386SX-20 and 486-25) are going to be at a national
computer show (I don't know which one) in New York in two weeks.

So the prototypes are ready and they are aiming for a June release
if not sooner. Also, there is going to be a 20 meg and 40 meg version
for the 386SX-20 and although prices are not definitive yet, I have
heard a price of $1,800 for the 20 meg version and not too much more
for the 40 meg version.

I will most likely be a campus representative for them so please mention
my name in your correspondence. Thanks.
George

--
  George Wang - Networking Development                     T     T
  National Center for Supercomputing Applications          |  T  |
  INTERNET: gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu                             \_|_/
  UUCP: gargoyle!igloo!gwang  PH: (217) 244-4020              -

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (04/01/91)

I should also mention that the manager's name is Mr. James Yang and
that you may address your correspondence to him.

Again the address is:
VIP Computer, Inc.
960 Industrial Drive, Unit 7
Elmhurst, IL 60126
(708) 832-3080
FAX: (708) 832-2858

George Wang

--

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/02/91)

gwang@ncsa.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:

>I am just merely allowing other interested notebook owners/purchasers
>know that there will be a newer and better laptop that they can
>buy for the money. If you noticed, I mentioned that I am an owner
>of a Zeos 286 Notebook...

Well, let's recognize that there will *always* be newer/faster/cheaper/better
products just around the corner. Once whatever is being plugged appears and
is *available*, it'll have to compete against whatever has appeared in the
interim, not what is available now. In the meantime, people will buy what
they need from whatever is available at the time.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech