[comp.sys.laptops] HELP!

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/03/91)

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Who makes an acoustic modem and/or coupler other than Radio Shack?  I know they
are outdated, but I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere for a couple of
months, and I know that the only phone I will have is a payphone.

Futhermore, is there anyone that makes an adaptor that converts the RJ11 signal
into an acoustic one and vice versa? (Thus using it with any modem)

I am desperate!

--
[]-------------------------------------------------------------------------[]
 | Internet: dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu | Famous Last Words:              |

billr@saab.tek.com (Bill Randle) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.113848.29433@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Who makes an acoustic modem and/or coupler other than Radio Shack?  I know they
>are outdated, but I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere for a couple of
>months, and I know that the only phone I will have is a payphone.

We recently purchased an acoustic coupler modem from COM1 Data Communication
Corp (Carlsbad, CA 92008, (619) 431-5606).  This is a pocket size modem
with a small acoustic coupler interface.  The unit we have also has a line
interface, in case a RJ-11 phone is available.  It talks to the computer
via RS-232.  The modem supports 300/1200/2400/VideoTex/MNP4/MNP5 (relevant
stds are: Bell 102, 103, CCITT V22, V22bis and V23).  I haven't tried them
out yet, but you may want to call COM 1 and get more info/literature.

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.
	billr@saab.CNA.TEK.COM