[comp.sys.laptops] Batteries

fad@tropix.uucp (Frank A. DeWitt) (01/30/91)

If you want to do a little work you can buy the nicad cells that are
in your battery pack for a LOT less money from a hobby shop that sells
"R.C. cars".  A set of 6 sub C cells (wired togeather in a pack) start
at about $25 (for the 1.2 AH)

Other sizes are available.

These are very high quality batteries, they have to be thay are charged
in 15 min. then "peaked" then compleately discharged in 4 to 5 min !!!

By the way, if a race is short they discharce there batteries by
connecting them to 4 to six tail light bulbs in parallel.

When the light goes out the bat. is discharged and they begin charging.

Frank DeWitt

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/03/91)

I decided to follow the advice: "discharge the Nicad completely before recharge"
I made a simple device that has two contact points and a light bulb for
a car.  Can a discharge be "too fast" or "too slow" so it can cause a problem?
For instance, can I just short-circuit the +/- ? (Okay, assuming fire won't
break out :-)
I feel that the battery is warm after discharging with the lightbulb.

One more question.
There is a pop-up window with a "fuel gauge" in a Toshiba T1000SE.
Amazingly, I can change the guage. So, I'm beginning to suspect that
the reading is not a function of the remaining fuel - that is,
it may be a function of initial setting , time and fuel use.
(I mean, indirect calculation, not "measurement" of fuel.)
If that were true, then it may not be very accurate.
Would that also affect the function of the charger/low battery warning?
(What will happen if I set the gauge incorrectly in the first place?)
--
                      |  Yesterday I was a student.
     Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
     cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.

In article <46Gdxpf1@cs.psu.edu> I wrote:
>I decided to follow the advice: "discharge the Nicad completely before recharge"
>I made a simple device that has two contact points and a light bulb for
>a car.  Can a discharge be "too fast" or "too slow" so it can cause a problem?
>For instance, can I just short-circuit the +/- ? (Okay, assuming fire won't
>break out :-)

Someone replied:

|The NiCad is made up of several cells in series, so you do NOT want to
|completely discharge them, as you may reverse charge some of them, which is bad
|news.  Complete discharge only works for single cells (1.2V), and you should
|add limiting resistor, as short circuiting NiCads is not good for its health.

The advice I got from this news group was:
  If you charge a partially discharged Nicad battery, you may end up
  ruining the battery by what is called "memory" effect.
  Therefore you should completely discharge the battery before recharge it.

Now I have two (apparently) contradicting theories. The only way to be
consistent is perhaps "before you begin recharging the battery, make sure
it doesn't have too much charge remained."
But then how much is too much?
Any idea?

--

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (04/04/91)

In article <mn2G*3sf1@cs.psu.edu> cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:
>Now I have two (apparently) contradicting theories. The only way to be
>consistent is perhaps "before you begin recharging the battery, make sure
>it doesn't have too much charge remained."
>But then how much is too much?
>Any idea?

	I would say to go down to 1 volt per cell. The standard NiCad cell
provides 1.25volt per cell when charged. If you go too low, some cells will
reverse (very bad). Cells that are dead tend to short themselves, forming
little crystals that span the electrodes. You can save such a shorted cell
by blowing the crystal with high current (either another NiCad or a big
capacitor). But such cells are permanently crippled and tend to lose their
charge faster and have less capacity then when new.

					Dan

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (04/04/91)

Not to answer all of your questions but YES!  If you discharge your battery
too fast, you can risk fire, explosion and destroying your battery at the
least!  The fuel guage doesn't look at the battery itself because the NiCad
battery doesn't change voltage much as it discharges until right at the end.
 The gauge keeps track of how long your machine has been operating and WHAT
was operating on it.  This way, you have some idea of how much power has
been used.  You can reset it because that reading is only aproximate and
batteries have different capacities anyway.  By the way, even a small NiCad
battery pack is capable of putting several hundred amps into a short
circuit.  Don't get burnt!

--
Jack Wiggins                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: jackw@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (04/04/91)

Look at your circuit again.  You can't "reverse charge" batteries in a pack
unless the current is flowing backwards in ALL of them.  Also, if you do get
a reduced charge capacity because of the memory effect, a couple of full
discharge-charge cycles will bring the battery back to snuff.

--

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (04/05/91)

In article <9L9uZ4w161w@nstar.rn.com> jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) writes:
>Look at your circuit again.  You can't "reverse charge" batteries in a pack
>unless the current is flowing backwards in ALL of them.

When NiCad is being discharged, positive current comes out of the positive
terminal.  When it is being charged, positive current goes INTO the positive
terminal.  When you put cells in series to form a battery pack, the weakest
cell will reach 0V before the others do.  It becomes a "load" in the circuit,
and positive current goes INTO the negative terminal -- same as charging the
cell backwards.  I am not an expert at this, but this has been discussed in
sci.electronics many times.

>Also, if you do get
>a reduced charge capacity because of the memory effect, a couple of full
>discharge-charge cycles will bring the battery back to snuff.

You can only reduce the memory effect, not totally eliminate it, especially in
a battery pack.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (04/05/91)

As long as current is flowing in the battery pack you cannot have a "reverse
current" flowing into one of the batteries.  Also, most battery packs
"should" be made up of closely matched NiCads that would elimanate this
effect anyway.  "elimanate"?  yeesh!  eliminate...  We aren't talking about
theoretical absolutes here - just practical real world result, and yes, I
shouldv'e said something about the memory effect being MOSTLY reversable
since you'll always see some trace of it.  It depends on how bad the
original problem was, what brand of batteries, how old they are, and
sometimes I believe what day of the week it is...  The point is that if your
manufacturer tells you how to treat the battery package, then you should
really give him a listen, especially if you have a warranty to worry about.