[comp.sys.laptops] Harddisk sizes in laptops

hardarso@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) (03/26/91)

When I bought my Zeos 386 some months ago I posted an article saying
that I intended to sell my desktop and use the notebook exclusively
since their powers match desktops in every way. Here's a followup:

If you intend to use a laptop as your sole computer, maybe you should
stick around and wait for a 40meg harddrive. 20meg just don't cut it
anymore, unless you're willing to stick with the old versions of your
favourite software. Here's an example:

I tested the new Norton utilities version 5.0 the other day. FileFind,
a program that searches the entire disk for a given file, used to be
12-15k in size. It now supports mouse,help,the botswana GD-14 display
adapter  -  and is a whooping 150k in size. What started out as a nice
toolbox is now a bloated business package that takes 3 HD diskettes...

I'm not upgrading myself, but I can't help but feeling that my 20 meg
will be the limiting factor, even though the 386sx won't be.

Kari
--

Kari Hardarson         |  Twas brillig and the slithy toves
217 Jackson Circle     |  did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

dhmst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel H Marx) (04/10/91)

In article <2602@borg.cs.unc.edu> hardarso@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) writes:
>If you intend to use a laptop as your sole computer, maybe you should
>stick around and wait for a 40meg harddrive. 20meg just don't cut it
>anymore, unless you're willing to stick with the old versions of your
>favourite software. Here's an example:
>I tested the new Norton utilities version 5.0 the other day. FileFind,
>a program that searches the entire disk for a given file, used to be
>12-15k in size. It now supports mouse,help,the botswana GD-14 display
>adapter  -  and is a whooping 150k in size. What started out as a nice
>toolbox is now a bloated business package that takes 3 HD diskettes...

I agree.  Especially when considering a laptop, I would pay particular
attention to the size of the hard drive.  A laptop provides the convenience
of portability so you end up taking it with you to various places.  However,
when on the road, usually, if it's not on your hard drive, you don't own it.
At home or the office, it's easy to reach over, pick a diskette and load
whatever you want.  On the road, I tend not to bring my diskettes with me so
I find I rely totally on the hard drive.

But I have a question, Kari.  What didn't you like about Norton 4.5?  I
sometimes wonder why we always rush to but the "biggest and newest".

Lastly, I recently installed STACKER on my hard drive.  I think that if you
have a laptop and a small hard drive, STACKER is wonderful.  The only problem
I've found is that it doesn't work with all caches.  I currently use PC-Cache
from PCTools Deluxe v6.0 without any problems.  STACKER does slow down I/O
reads by about 100%.  Therefore, if it used to take 1 second to load something
it now takes 2 seconds.  From my human point of view, this is insignificant.

Dan Marx              Too lazy to creat a signature.