[comp.sys.laptops] External hard drive through parallel port

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) (03/24/91)

Does anyone have any experience using an external hard drive running
off the parallel port?  (I've asked this before & gotten no response,
so there are apparently few of you using these things.)
    Fred Jarvis    ferdie@coyote.datalog.com

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (03/25/91)

I plan on getting such a device within the next month.  I plan on getting
a Trantor T338 Mini-SCSI host adapter and hooking it up to a 32meg 3.5"
SCSI drive.  The drive I'm not sure about, since the T338 will probably have
a listing of which drives it will work with, but they say it comes with
software for hard drives,optical drives, and CD-ROMs.  This will be hooked up
to my T1000.

Here is some of the info from their spec. sheet which I had them fax to me:
	Trantor Systems Ltd.
	5415 Randall Place
	Fremont, CA 94538-3151
	(415)770-1400
	(415)770-9910 fax

Device allows simultanious use of printer while connected
Up to seven SCSI devices are allowed
75kb/sec read transfer, 150kb/sec write transfer (depending on port design)
supports MS-DOS 3.x & 4.x
size= 4.25" 2.13" 0.7" (L,W,H)
weight 2.5 oz.
500mw max. power consumption
supports multiple partitions
span multiple drives into a single volume of any size
extended partitions (>32MB) under MS-DOS 3.3 or later

Requirements-system must be 100% IBM BIOS compatible
	     have a 100% IBM compatible hardware printer port design

PLEASE NOTE!
============
This is not a word for word translation.  There is more info on the sheet than
I feel like typing in.  Specific questions should be directed to Trantor
or in email to me.  Please keep in mind that I only have their data sheet
and do not (as of yet) have their product.

nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO) (03/26/91)

In article <mLTaZ2w163w@coyote.datalog.com>
	ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience using an external hard drive running
>off the parallel port?  (I've asked this before & gotten no response,
>so there are apparently few of you using these things.)

"EasyHard" is Hard-disk-drive software besides the explanation how to connect
SASI/SCSI-hard-drive to the parallel-port of J3100-series.  It worked well.
But these days I don't use it, because wired-laptops dones not coicide my
opinion.	{^_^}

J3100-series is for Japanese-version of T3100-series from Toshiba, but I can
find no reason not to work on IBM-machines.

 EASYHD3.LZH(21) 90-01-13 01:56:16    37905	for SASI-drive
EASYHARD.LZH(21) 90-02-24 01:04:50    38652	for SCSI-drive
 EH13PAT.LZH(21) 90-05-07 01:02:44    12354	patches for update

Unfortunately all the documents are written in Japanese-Shift-JIS-code.

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (03/27/91)

I'm also interested in the parallel port hard drive option, but in your
is there an ftp site where I can get them anonymously?

nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.022835.11591@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) writes:
>I'm also interested in the parallel port hard drive option, but in your
>is there an ftp site where I can get them anonymously?

Sorry, I have no-access to FTP, thus I don't know WHERE you can obtain via ftp.
I have down-loaded them from Japanese-BBS, and gatewayed into JUnet, so somewhere
in Japan, you *may* get via ftp.

If you want it eagerly and you can read Japanese-written documents, I'll
send them in floppy-diskette.  I can use 3.5'/5'-1.21MB/720KB ms-dos format
(not 1.44MB), and I'll soon be able to use 3.5'-1.44MB/720-kB unix-formatted
FDs.

						nemossan@uitec.ac.jp

coryc@sequent.com (Cory Carpenter) (04/09/91)

>nemossan@uitec.ac.jp (Sakurao NEMOTO) writes:
>>In article <mLTaZ2w163w@coyote.datalog.com>
>>	ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) writes:
>>Does anyone have any experience using an external hard drive running
>>off the parallel port?  (I've asked this before & gotten no response,
>>so there are apparently few of you using these things.)
>

>"EasyHard" is Hard-disk-drive software besides the explanation how to connect
>SASI/SCSI-hard-drive to the parallel-port of J3100-series.  It worked well.
>But these days I don't use it, because wired-laptops dones not coicide my
>opinion.	{^_^}
>
>J3100-series is for Japanese-version of T3100-series from Toshiba, but I can
>find no reason not to work on IBM-machines.
>

> EASYHD3.LZH(21) 90-01-13 01:56:16    37905	for SASI-drive
> EASYHARD.LZH(21) 90-02-24 01:04:50    38652	for SCSI-drive
> EH13PAT.LZH(21) 90-05-07 01:02:44    12354	patches for update
>
>Unfortunately all the documents are written in Japanese-Shift-JIS-code.

Someone later asked about anonymous FTP sites for this software.  I did
some looking around, and was able to find it at the following site:

	ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp	131.112.16.39

I managed to find an X-term application (kterm) which is capable of
displaying shift-JIS code, and looked the documentation over.  Wow.
The only thing I can make out is a couple of cable pinouts... the rest
is (of course) Japanese to me!  I *may* be able to find someone to
translate it, and if so, will try to make the translated version of the
documentation available (assuming there's any interest in it).

-coryc

coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) (04/10/91)

From coryc@sequent.com  Tue Apr  9 10:22:33 1991
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
To: pwong@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Re: External hard drive through parallel port

Hi Patrick,

I can't promise a translation very soon (if at all), since I'm depending
on the charity of a couple of people here at work who read Japanese.  Also,
I have no great urgency to get this stuff translated, since I can't do
anything with it until I get hold of a drive to try it out on.

Anyway, here's the full path to the sources, binaries, and documentation:

	ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp  (131.112.16.39)
		directory: fj.binaries.msdos/v003
		files: v003i0090.Z
		       v003i0091.Z
		       v003i0092.Z
		       v003i0093.Z

The files are `compress'ed for transmission, and `uuencode'ed.  The SCSI
version of the software is *91.Z and *92.Z, which need to be edited a
bit and `cat'ed together before `uudecode'ing.  (*90.Z is the SASI
version, and *93.Z is a collection of patches and improvements.)

Good luck!

-coryc

--
|    >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<        |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Tech Writer |                                             |

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (04/12/91)

Laptop owners:

As I am pretty busy these days, I try to do a quick summary here regarding
what I have found based on my research into the subject matter for the last
few months.

For ext. (expensive) hard drives that connect to your parallel port:

company name     tel no.      approx price        comments

Liberty Systems  408-983-1127  from $899 (52 meg)  SCSI; daisy chain possible

Axonix           800-866-9797  from $599 (20 meg)  optional battery

CCSI             800-782-3525  from $295           an expansion box with
                                                   interface card installed
                                                   user has to put in a
                                                   8-bit hd controller card in
                                                   its single slot and a 3.5"
                                                   or 5.25" HD
                                                   its drive bay.

Trantor          415-770-1400  $179                a parallel-to-SCSI adaptor
                                                   user gets his/her own ext.
                                                   SCSI drive

SPC              619-693-8611  from $495 (20 meg)  optional battery; also avail.
                                                   ext hd that uses Toshiba
                                                   100-pin expansion port

ASI              408-929-2482  from $679 (40 meg)  NOT connected to parallel
                                                   port; uses your laptop's
                                                   exp. slot or Toshiba's
                                                   100-pin port; hd is
                                                   removable; SCSI; daisy chain
                                                   possible; extra hd pack
                                                   is available

***LATEST INFO***

BSE              714-832-4316  $199                 an ext. hd drive kit that
                                                    comes with everthing except
                                                    the drive; *CUSTOM* chip;
                                                    thus fast transfer rate
                                                    (500K bytes/s); user puts
                                                    in his/her own IDE drive;
                                                    2 models supporting 2.5" and
                                                    3.5" hd; 2.5" hd model comes
                                                    with rechargeable battery

OK! Guys, that's all I have found.  If you need more info., please call
individual companies.  However, if you have experience with any of the above
units, please let me (or the whole comp.sys.laptops) know !  Thanx!

Personally, I am targeting towards BSE.  They are sending me some literature.
On the other hand, the flexibility and price offerred by CCSI are very
attractive.  Imagine, if you are tired of using the hd, remove the hd
controller card and install other card like ethernet card, game card, etc
(Remember, the slot is a full-length 8- or 16-bit slot.)  Actually, CCSI also
sells a few other models, one of which has 7 slots and 4 open drive bays for
$500.  (Remember again, these boxes are connected to parallel port and thus
data transfer to and from hd is quite slow but it works).

Disclaimer:  Sigh!  If I were cOnnected to any or all of the above companies,
             I won't be here in Ithaca doing what seems to be life-long
             PhD study at Cornell earning next to pitiful stipend.

Patrick Wong