[comp.sys.laptops] Laptop with Video Port

boebert@sctc.com (Earl Boebert) (04/17/91)

Anybody know of a laptop with a video port that can drive an ordinary
monitor?  I am looking for something portable to run one of those
display units that you put on a Vugraph machine and project screen
displays on the wall.

dpbst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David P Brennan) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.235958.9135@sctc.com> boebert@sctc.com (Earl Boebert) writes:
>Anybody know of a laptop with a video port that can drive an ordinary
>monitor?  I am looking for something portable to run one of those
>display units that you put on a Vugraph machine and project screen
>displays on the wall.

That depends- if all you want is a standard monitor (with a "video"
input like you use with a VCR) than you need something with a composite
output. (RGB type port)
Some of the newer monitors will take computer output and you can
take your pick with resolution. CGA,EGA,VGA
One time I managed to connect a computer output to one of the monitors
that had separate inputs for red, green and blue by only using the
green gun which emulated a monochrome monitor.

Dave Brennan
UPitt SLIS
dpbst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu

jps@cs.brown.edu (John Shewchuk) (04/17/91)

The Sharp 6220 and the TI travelmate 2000 (which are supposed to be
the same machine) allow you to insert an optional video port.  Only
problem is, then you can not install the internal modem.  Sorry, don't
know anything about the other laptops.  -John
--

John Shewchuk,    Computer Science Dept,                  jps@cs.brown.edu
Brown University, Box 1910, Providence, RI 02912          (401) 863-7664

patrick@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Patrick Hawke) (04/18/91)

I know that the Toshiba 1000 has a composite video out (RCA Jack).
   I've used this through a VCR.  It is monochrome only.

The Zenith Minisport has composite video built into the 9-pin CGA port.

PjH

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (04/19/91)

Lots of laptops have external vidoe ports. The older, slower 8088/86
systems oftem come with cga ports; many of the newer '286/386sx
models have vga output. Me, I run a Tandy 1400hd (8mhz 8088 - actually
NEC V20) with an external cga port quite a bit in my classes. I plus
a cga display screen into the video port, lay the screen on an
overhead projector, and can demo wp, spreadsheets, dbase, mainframe
terminalating, graphics, etc. Am working on putting a lot of lecture
materials into "slides" (via harvard graphics) to display on screen.
Once I get this going right, it'll sure be lots easier than transparencies.
Radio Shack is unloading 1400hds, $999 with a 20-meg hard drive.
I hear Zenith is unloading its minisports for $300 (no hard drive, but
they do have those pesky 2" drives. NEC Ultralites are going for what???
$600 or so?
Bob Munzenrider, PSU-Harrisburg