[comp.sys.laptops] Scanner and Laptop

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/18/91)

Is it possible to use a scanner with a laptop? (Mine is T1000SE)
If not, what is the requirement, in terms of processing power,
means of connection etc.?

Thanks.
--
                      |  Yesterday I was a student.
     Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
     cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.

jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) (04/18/91)

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:

> Is it possible to use a scanner with a laptop? (Mine is T1000SE)
> If not, what is the requirement, in terms of processing power,
> means of connection etc.?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>                       |  Yesterday I was a student.
>      Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
>      cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.
>                       |  Sigh.. There's so little hope for advancement.

Yes!  I saw just such a dinkus <--- (extreme technical term) at Tenex.  You
plug your scanner into the adaptor which plugs (I believe) into the paralle
port of your laptop.

--
Jack Wiggins                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: jackw@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (04/18/91)

[]

	"Is it possible to use a scanner with a laptop? (Mine is
	T1000SE)"

For Toshiba laptops, you can buy the expansion chassis and get five
XT-style (8-bit) slots.  I did this for my T3100SX to get a laser
printer interface and a Soundblaster board.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (04/19/91)

In article <853Gr*yr1@cs.psu.edu>, cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:
|> Is it possible to use a scanner with a laptop? (Mine is T1000SE)
|> If not, what is the requirement, in terms of processing power,
|> means of connection etc.?

I have a T1000XE.  I looked into purchasing a scanner a little while
back.  I discovered that every scanner for IBM PCs and compatibles
uses a bus-card interface and probably draws a lot of power.  I don't
know of anyone that makes a scanner which has its own power supply
and interfaces via the parallel port (or the T1000SE/XE/LE expansion
bus).  You could buy an expansion card box for your Toshiba and plug
the scanner into that, but that would be expensive and not very
portable.  Still, portability of the scanner may not be an issue.

So for right now, I think the answer is no, unless someone knows
something I don't.

m.

__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

steve@europa.esd.sgi.com (Mr. Spench) (04/19/91)

In <1991Apr18.202717.23779@odin.corp.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>In article <853Gr*yr1@cs.psu.edu>, cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) writes:
>|> Is it possible to use a scanner with a laptop? (Mine is T1000SE)
>|> If not, what is the requirement, in terms of processing power,
>|> means of connection etc.?
>|>

>I have a T1000XE.  I looked into purchasing a scanner a little while
>back.  I discovered that every scanner for IBM PCs and compatibles
>uses a bus-card interface and probably draws a lot of power.  I don't
>know of anyone that makes a scanner which has its own power supply
>and interfaces via the parallel port (or the T1000SE/XE/LE expansion
>So for right now, I think the answer is no, unless someone knows
>something I don't.

Mike (and anyone interested),

We had a scanner in the lab that hooked up through the parallel port, or to
a SCSI port.  It's not in the hardware lab anymore, so I don't know who makes
it. We were using it to test out the bidirectional capabilities of the
4D/35 parallel port (compatible with a PC).  The scanner is now probably in
the Software lab.  It was a full page scanner, by the way.

>\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

--
steve valin		i've found something no-one else is looking for
steve@sgi.com		i've found something that there's no use for

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (04/20/91)

I have a CAT Hand ScanAdapter LPT, but can't get it working! It is supposed
to work through the parallel port, but no go yet. See my other message
requesting help for more info...

Renee@cup.portal.com