[comp.sys.laptops] Has anyone tried out the new laptop-oriented trackballs?

ellis@daffodil.LABS.TEK.COM (Cynthia Ellis ) (04/18/91)

A variety of magazines have had mini-reviews about the new laptop-
oriented trackballs. The reviews I have seen have been about
Microsoft's BallPoint, Logitech's new product (I can't remember the
name right now), and a product called "Thumbelina".

Compaq is giving away a BallPoint with each new laptop/notebook
sold between now and June 30, but I've checked with three different
authorized Compaq dealers, and none of them has a BallPoint to
demo.

Has anyone out there in the great net world had a chance to use
any of these new products?

Cindy

rubin@watson.ibm.com (Bill Rubin) (04/19/91)

In <1051@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> ellis@daffodil.LABS.TEK.COM (Cynthia Ellis ) writes:
> A variety of magazines have had mini-reviews about the new laptop-
> oriented trackballs. The reviews I have seen have been about
> Microsoft's BallPoint, Logitech's new product (I can't remember the
> name right now), and a product called "Thumbelina".
>
> Compaq is giving away a BallPoint with each new laptop/notebook
> sold between now and June 30, but I've checked with three different
> authorized Compaq dealers, and none of them has a BallPoint to
> demo.
>
> Has anyone out there in the great net world had a chance to use
> any of these new products?

I heard from someone who tried the Microsoft Ballpoint and they seemed to
like it. I have one on order, but the scheduled ship date is not until
the middle of next month. According to Microsoft, they sent the entire
first shipment to Compaq! Based on what I have seen, the Microsoft looks
to be the best of the bunch, at least for me.

The Logitech model won't be available until June, according to their
announcement. I have not seem Thumbelina, but it doesn't look all that
interesting to me.

For what it's worth, IBM announced a similar box with the L40 laptop.
It's novel in that you can use it as either a trackball or a mouse by
just turning it over.  Unfortunately, it's mouse port only, not serial,
so it will be of limited usefulness on most laptops.

Isn't it too bad that given the obvious need for a product of this sort,
the industry had to wait until one company announced a model so the
others could then come out with a me-too variety?

-- Bill
rubin@watson.ibm.com

ellis@daffodil.LABS.TEK.COM (Cynthia Ellis ) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.163656.29665@watson.ibm.com> rubin@watson.ibm.com (Bill Rubin) writes:
>In <1051@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> ellis@daffodil.LABS.TEK.COM (Cynthia Ellis ) writes:
>> Has anyone out there in the great net world had a chance to use
>> any of these new products?
>
>I heard from someone who tried the Microsoft Ballpoint and they seemed to
>like it. I have one on order, but the scheduled ship date is not until
>the middle of next month. According to Microsoft, they sent the entire
>first shipment to Compaq! Based on what I have seen, the Microsoft looks
>to be the best of the bunch, at least for me.

My SO finally found an authorized Compaq dealer who had a demo BallPoint
unit. He and the salesperson had some trouble with the keyboard attachment.
I went there today and (maybe because I have more experience with the
SLT keyboard? or because I chased the salesperson away?) popped the same
BallPoint on the side of the same keyboard quite easily and proceeded to
play SimCity using it. The keyboard attachment was solid and actually very
secure-feeling; I was pleasantly surprised.

The BallPoint is approximately the same size and shape as the "top half" of
a Microsoft mouse. There are four buttons on the thing, so the same unit
can be used either left or right handed. The buttons are a little bit
close to each other, but I think one would get used to this quickly.
I had never used a trackball before, so I wasn't sure what to expect,
but I found using it quite natural after a couple of minutes (I'd need
more practice to be accurate, however). It's a very different feeling
than using a mouse!

I, like Bill, can't find anyone to sell me one of these marvelous
little toys. Various stores are willing to put it on order for me
but tell me to expect to wait until at least the end of the month
before the order even goes in. Argh! And they are expensive - the
best price I can find locally is $125 (compared to a best local
price of $70 for a MouseMan).

>The Logitech model won't be available until June, according to their
>announcement. I have not seem Thumbelina, but it doesn't look all that
>interesting to me.

I'm so thrilled by my new serial MouseMan from Logitech that I may wait
for the Logitech offering (since I can't get immediate gratification by
buying a BallPoint now anyway), to compare prices and features. I was a
die-hard Microsoft mouse user until the MouseMan came along. But I agree
with Bill, from the pictures and descriptions, the BallPoint seems like
the best, and I sure liked the size and feel of using it. I would buy one
now if I could get anyone to sell one to me.

I'd enjoy reading other people's impressions of the BallPoint, and
would especially appreciate any first- or second-hand reviews of the
Logitech Portable Trackman. (I agree with Bill that the Thumbelina
doesn't look appealing, at least from its pictures - the ball is too small.)

Cindy

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/22/91)

rubin@watson.ibm.com (Bill Rubin) writes:

>Isn't it too bad that given the obvious need for a product of this sort,
>the industry had to wait until one company announced a model so the
>others could then come out with a me-too variety?

	Well, since others *have* worked to fill this need long before
Microsoft announced its Ballpoint, let's at least give them credit.
Some portables (like Apple's offering) have offered an *integral* trackball;
the Isopoint (my favorite so far) is available in models from Grid (maybe
others by now). External add-ons have a place only to the extent that
laptop/notebook manufacturers have failed to anticipate and accomodate
the need.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

jps@cs.brown.edu (John Shewchuk) (04/24/91)

I've been using the Ballpoint Mouse on my Sharp 6220 extensively for
about 2 weeks now.  So far I am reasonably happy with it but there are
some things that annoy me.

The biggest problem is that the ball is made of a fairly slick plastic
and it is very light.  As a result, sometimes you will be moving the
mouse in one direction and the cursor will simply stop, even though
your thumb is still moving.  I think this is because the ball is
slipping on the rollers that pick up the mouse movement.  This really,
really bugs me.

One way that Microsoft might fix this is to make the ball rubberized.
I have been thinking of tracking down a mouse and swapping the balls
to see if this helps.  However, another aspect of the Ballpoint Mouse
design might prevent this.

The Ballpoint Mouse was designed with a plastic spring-loaded
retaining ring that is used to force the ball into the rollers that
pick up mouse movement; I would guess that this design is due to the
fact that the mouse can be mounted at various angles and because the
ball is so light.  This design results in a fair amount of friction on
the mouse ball which prevents it from rolling freely and
unfortunately, it feels (to me) like you have to push hard on the
ball.  (It also sounds scratchy if you listen closely.)

I tried removing this spring-loaded retaining ring and the mouse
(again, to me) "feels" much better.

Finally, the buttons feel pretty flimsy, they can bend in weird
directions.

This is not to say that I don't like the Ballpoint Mouse.  The best
part about the Ballpoint Mouse is care that went into the design.  The
button placement and the ability to adjust the angle make it very
pleasant to use.  Also, very important to me is the spring-loaded
mechanism that attaches the mouse to the laptop.  This allows the
mouse to pop off in the event of excessive force- more than once I
bashed the mouse into something that caused it to pop off and prevent
damage to either the computer or the mouse.

  Impressive.

In summary, I prefer the old Microsoft Mouse.  On the other hand, if
you want portability the Ballpoint Mouse is great.  The Ballpoint is
pleasant and easy to use and the thoughtful design protects both the
computer and the mouse.  On the down side, the Ballpoint Mouse
"freezes" once in a while and I think I would prefer a heavier ball
that had a rubberized surface.

--

John Shewchuk,    Computer Science Dept,                  jps@cs.brown.edu
Brown University, Box 1910, Providence, RI 02912          (401) 863-7664