[comp.sys.laptops] T5200 upgrade

hitz@sim5.csi.uottawa.ca (Martin Hitz) (04/11/91)

Having read that today's Toshiba T5200 laptops feature up to 200 MB HD,
I wonder if I can upgrade my old T5200/100 model for such a HD (it is
supposed to be faster, too).
Does anybody know
*	if it's possible
*	what make of disk is used in the "big" model
*	where I could get it from
*	what I could do with the old disk (using it somehow as external drive?
	putting it into my old PS/2 model 50? Selling it?)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Martin Hitz (hitz@csi.UOttawa.CA)

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (04/16/91)

I investigated alternate hard disks for my T3100SX, and found that it
uses a JVC disk.  JVC sells only to OEMs, not to end users, so you
can't do this upgrade yourself.  And the BIOS won't configure to handle
a reasonable heads/cylinders/sectors set.

I'd guess the same is true of the T5200.  If you don't feel like
opening the box to see what disk it has, call Toshiba technical support
at (800) 456-8649 and ask.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R Jacobs) (04/24/91)

In article <10597@orca.wv.tek.com> andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) writes:
> I investigated alternate hard disks for my T3100SX, and found that it
> uses a JVC disk.  JVC sells only to OEMs, not to end users, so you
> can't do this upgrade yourself.  And the BIOS won't configure to handle
> a reasonable heads/cylinders/sectors set.
>
> I'd guess the same is true of the T5200.  If you don't feel like
> opening the box to see what disk it has, call Toshiba technical support
> at (800) 456-8649 and ask.

The 100M drives in the T5200 are Conner drives.  I don't know about
the newer 200M drives.
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

gerardka@hobbes.ism.isc.com (Gerard Kam) (04/24/91)

In article <JACOBS.91Apr23155245@cells.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R Jacobs) writes:

>The 100M drives in the T5200 are Conner drives.  I don't know about
>the newer 200M drives.
>--
	I've heard that the 200MB drives are also Conner drives.
	That means the entire T5200 model line uses Conner.
	BTW the upgrade to the 200MB drive is listed at $1699 from
	Computer Products+.  Supposedly this includes new sys and video
	BIOS chips, rework on the motherboard, and drilling.  They
	also keep your old drive!

	Gerard