[comp.sys.laptops] NEC Ultralite

erc@radon.berkeley.edu (Eric Ng) (03/07/91)

I just got the "Early Spring 1991" copy of the DAK Industries catalog
and noticed that they were selling NEC UltraLites with 640k RAM and 1M
RAM disks for $699 (with the 2M RAM disk version going for $899).  The
catalog lists the original retail price for these units at $2,999 and
$3,699 respectively.  Also included (supposedly for free) is MS Works
2.0.

Any opinions on these UltraLites? With the built-in 2400 baud modem,
V30 processor, and MS-DOS 3.3, it seems like it would make a nice
portable word processor/terminal/editing machine (i.e., loading up
Freemacs onto the RAM disk and ...).

And what's the display quality like?  I use a Toshiba T5100 as my main
machine and have been quite spoiled by the clarity of a gas plasma
display ...

-eric
--
eric ng 1906 milvia street berkeley california 94704
..!uunet!irss.njit.edu!erc ...!ucbvax!radon!erc

brian@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) (03/12/91)

I have a few questions about the Ultralite as well:

1. "How compatible is it?"  In particular, is the display some kind of
   recognized adaptor (e.g. CGA, EGA, etc) and if so, which?  How about
   the serial port -- is it the same as COM1 on everyone else's box?
   How about the V30?  I've never used any of the Vx0 chips -- any
   gotcha's about them versus the corresponding 80X86 chips?

2. What happens to the ramdisk if the battery expires when the unit is
   running?  How about if the unit is powered off?  How about if the
   battery pack is swapped without an active AC power connection?
   Does the ramdisk lose it's tiny little mind, or is it kept alive
   by the clock/calendar battery?  What kind of warning is given about
   battery condition?

3. About those ROM card applications: do they include a normal disked
   version of the product, so like if I bought 1-2-3 I could run it
   on the Ultralite in ROM and on some other box on disk?  If not,
   are the ROM applications accessible as normal DOS files, and are
   they the same programs as the corresponding disked versions?
   A related question: do the ROM applications actually execute from
   ROM or are they loaded into memory and executed there?

4. How is the keyboard feel?  Although it is "full sized", I imagine
   that the "full size" is only in two dimensions.  How about the
   key travel?  Do they have an (annoying) mechanical keyclick to
   compensate for short travel or anything like that?

Please reply or post soon -- I'm in the mood to go shopping... :-)

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

bstantus@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (03/26/91)

We are considering purchasing an NEC ultralite to use whihle traveling.
DAK has one for $699.00 in it's spring catalog. Any comments on the NEC
ultralite and/or DAK would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bob

plm@cbnewsi.att.com (peter.l.mc cann) (03/29/91)

From article <1308.27edbf20@sleepy.bmd.trw.com>, by bstantus@sleepy.bmd.trw.com:
> We are considering purchasing an NEC ultralite to use whihle traveling.
> DAK has one for $699.00 in it's spring catalog. Any comments on the NEC
> ultralite and/or DAK would be appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bob

I saw the same ad in the DAK catalog, read the whole ad, the more you
read the more you find out you have to spend to get something usefull.
I've seen toshiba T1000 on sale for less than 1K. I think the Toshiba
would be a better bet. I use one for work except for the fact that
I have to carry floppies with me. It serves my purposes.

Also I bought for my dad the "Marriage Saver" from DAK. This is the
infrared "stereo" headphones. When it Arrived I was completely unimpressed
with the product in one word it was "CHEAP". Whether or not this is
indicative of all DAK products or not, I probably won't ever buy a product
from them again. We sent it back.

                       |                   THE MASKED KARROT
Pete McCann            |                         \|/
pete@superman.ATT.COM  |  IF IT DOESN"T    |  \--o--o--/   /
                       |  FIT USE A        |===\  ^   /===/
                       |  BIGGER HAMMER    |    \ -- /   /
                       |                       ==\  /==
                       |                       =  \/  =
                       |                      ==      ==

syali@acsu.buffalo.edu (Sy Ali) (03/29/91)

I got got one from DAK. I'm not displeased with it. If theres enough interest
I'll post a review. Email me if you're interested.

Cheers, Sy.
--
Internet: syali@cs.buffalo.edu           UUCP: syali@sunybcs.uucp
Bitnet: syali%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvm.bitnet

xap27@EVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/10/91)

I have had friends who have ordered from DAK in the past.
The only problem is that sometimes the item, being an off brand, was of
low quality. The NEC ultralite, being a non-"off brand", should be OK.
Otherwise no problems w/ service, or anything like that.

cho@sol4.cs.psu.edu (Sehyeong Cho) (04/17/91)

I just got a catalog from DAK.
They're selling NEC Ultralite for $699. (w/free MS Works)
It's a true notebook running on V30. almost 8X11 size, 4.4 lbs w/Battery.
It's got an internal 2400b modem and comm. program in ROM too.
The problem is, it doesn't have any disk drive :-)
(Though it's got a 1M ram disk, besides 640K conventional mem.)

Does anyone have this little one?
I just wonder if it's really usable without a disk drive.

--
                      |  Yesterday I was a student.
     Sehyeong Cho     |  Today I am a student.
     cho@cs.psu.edu   |  Tomorrow I'll probably still be a student.
                      |  Sigh.. There's so little hope for advancement.

smb7@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (BRANCATI STEPHEN M) (04/24/91)

	I saw someone talking about an add in a DAK catalog offerring NEC ultra
lites for $699, and sure enough a day later a DAK catalog showed up at my door
(how convenient).  Would anyone out there like to offer their opinions on the
NEC Ultralite (the original--no disks of any kind, v30, 640k + 1meg Ramdisk)
and the price it is being offered for.  I'm really wondering about battery life
and does the "Silicon Hard Disk" lose its contents when the charge goes. (Maybe
I hope for too much.)

	Thanks.

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/25/91)

smb7@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (BRANCATI STEPHEN M) writes:

>	I saw someone talking about an add in a DAK catalog offerring NEC ultra
>lites for $699, and sure enough a day later a DAK catalog showed up at my door
>(how convenient).  Would anyone out there like to offer their opinions on the
>NEC Ultralite (the original--no disks of any kind, v30, 640k + 1meg Ramdisk)
>and the price it is being offered for.  I'm really wondering about battery life
>and does the "Silicon Hard Disk" lose its contents when the charge goes. (Maybe
>I hope for too much.)

Well, depending on what you want to do with it, $699 can be an attractive
price.  Another $200 for the second 1MB of silicon hard disk is a bit difficult
to swallow, but I bought it anyway.  The battery lasts about 2 hours (less
if you're using the modem, more if you lower the CPU speed).  The battery
is replaceable, so if you get an extra one or two you can get that much more
use before finding a power outlet.  The silicon hard disk is powered by
a seperate non-replaceable battery which recharges along with the main
battery.  It supposedly lasts for a week without a charge.  If the disk
battery goes, so does your data.  However, if the main battery goes, your
disk data stays put.

If you want more info, including some informal reviews and discussion about
applications, you may want to subscribe to the UltraLite mailing list.  Send
your subscription request to:

  ultralite-request@csd.mot.com

You'll get back issues as well as new traffic.