[comp.sys.laptops] Experiences with laptops on bicycle

D.U.Pfeiffer@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) (04/24/91)

I have been cycling with my Zenith SuperSports
(first a 286/40 and now a 386 SX/120) in a backpack
almost every day to university (about 7 km) for the
last 2-3 years. I never had any problems with the
machines. I would avoid carrying the computer
in the rain, and my machine is protected additionally
by the carrying case inside the backpack. A little
bit of extra weight on your back is actually quite
good exercise! And I guess the computer is more likely
to survive a crash with a car than you are.

Dirk

* Dirk U. Pfeiffer,                          *     AOTEAROA     *
* Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences,*                  *
* Massey University,                         * The Land of the  *
* Palmerston North, New Zealand              * long white Cloud *
* D.U.Pfeiffer@MASSEY.AC.NZ on INTERNET      *                  *

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.005508.6780@massey.ac.nz> D.U.Pfeiffer@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) writes:
>A little bit of extra weight on your back is actually quite good exercise!

Also destabilizing and pretty dangerous.  That is why you seldom see
experienced touring cyclists with backpacks.  I sometimes carry a small
computer with me (R/S M100 or M200), but always in a pannier.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (04/25/91)

In <1991Apr25.004308.21397@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.005508.6780@massey.ac.nz> D.U.Pfeiffer@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) writes:
>>A little bit of extra weight on your back is actually quite good exercise!
>
>Also destabilizing and pretty dangerous.  That is why you seldom see
Where did you learn cycling? :-)

	I think the best place for a laptop on a bike IS your back;
this adsorbes the shocks the computer may suffer from when you put it
on the bike itself.  And these shocks can be really nasty.  I never had any
problems with stability.

	Ernst
--
popa
iret

Qualitas qualitatem inducit.  Semper ego qualitatem.
Ernst de Ridder                     (student) | Email: hnridder@cs.ruu.nl
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University | Fido: Ernst de.Ridder
UUCP: !mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!praxis!hnridder     |       2:284/203.6

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (04/30/91)

In Article <1991Apr25.103552.28889@cs.ruu.nl>, hnridder@cs.ruu.nl
(Ernst de Ridder) writes:

>In <1991Apr25.004308.21397@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Apr24.005508.6780@massey.ac.nz> D.U.Pfeiffer@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) writes:
>>>A little bit of extra weight on your back is actually quite good exercise!
>>
>>Also destabilizing and pretty dangerous.

>  I think the best place for a laptop on a bike IS your back;
>[...] I never had any problems with stability.

   Have you ever had to take sudden evasive action to avoid an
accident? It's kind of like wearing a seatbelt in your car--
after several years of not having any accidents, you might think
you don't need to wear it anymore... but you'd be wrong.

   It may depend somewhat on where you ride. If you have to ride
in rush-hour traffic regularly, it's just a matter of time before
some bozo cuts you off (even in cities with bike paths, which
have their own version of rush hour traffic).

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod