[comp.sys.laptops] New Tandy 1400 Owner

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (04/24/91)

 Hello,

   I have just bought a Tandy 1400 LT at a closeout price from a local
   Radio Shack.  It only has 768k and two 3.5" 720k drives.  The machine
   has a great display and keyboard.

   I would like to know a couple of things:

    o Are there any quirks with the machine or neat pieces of software
      to have that control the backlighting or monitor battery usage?

    o What is involved for a hard drive in a 1400 HD?  Is it IDE?
      What brand?  Does it shutdown when not used for say 3 min or
      when the computer goes to standby mode?  How long does the battery
      last now?

    o Can you use a car-lighter adapter as a power source?  Is there
      any other brand of battery that can be used instead of Tandy's?

    o Is the modem option for the machine only for the 1400 line or
      is it compatible (physically) with any of the newer modem options?

    o Has anybody done any neat modifications to their machine? (ie.
      using a 1.44meg drive, added more RAM than possible, etc.)

  Please e-mail.  I will create a file (if enough answers).  We could
  put it up on Simtel in the laptops directory (not much there).

  Thank you,

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (04/24/91)

  Hello,

    A couple quick corrections to clear any confusion.

>    o Are there any quirks with the machine or neat pieces of software
>      to have that control the backlighting or monitor battery usage?
     Run-on.  Quirks?  Software for control of things specific to this
     laptop?

>    o Is the modem option for the machine only for the 1400 line or
>      is it compatible (physically) with any of the newer modem options?
     Are the modem options for the 1100FD, 1500, or 2810 different?
     The salesman said that it is the same as one of the newer ones, but
     I doubt it.

     o What carrying cases or third party options are available for the
       machine?

  Sorry about that.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (04/30/91)

Dru Nelson writes:

>    o Are there any quirks with the machine or neat pieces of software
>      to have that control the backlighting or monitor battery usage?

Not that I know of ;-(

>    o What is involved for a hard drive in a 1400 HD?  Is it IDE?
>      What brand?  Does it shutdown when not used for say 3 min or
>      when the computer goes to standby mode?  How long does the battery
>      last now?

CMS makes a replacement drive for the 1400LT.  As far as I remember, it
is a custom interface, i.e. there is no disk controller, just a slot
that sits on the bus.

Here is the list I've been maintaining of 1400LT drives (RS' prices are
scandalous!)  I've decided not to buy a hard disk, since the 1400LT is
pretty much an old hunk of iron now.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger               Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk

I wrote:

>Here is the list I've been maintaining of 1400LT drives (RS' prices are
>scandalous!)  I've decided not to buy a hard disk, since the 1400LT is
>pretty much an old hunk of iron now.

Sorry, forgot to append the list.  Here it is:

                           Hard Drives for the 1400LT
			   --------------------------

Computer Options Unlimited		20M internal
201-469-7678				$???

Perry Computing				CMS 20M internal
800-248-3823				$775

Computer Plus				20M internal