[comp.sys.laptops] T1000SE display noise

tanner@cerritos.edu (04/24/91)

I bought a Toshiba T1000SE last week and have a few questions:

- The display has an annoying whine; either it's gotten louder or I'm
  getting more sensitive to it.  Is this normal?  Other than the noise,
  I'm quite happy with the machine.

- Has anyone put Turbo C on the T1000SE?  The box says it needs a hard disk.
  How much ram disk will it need to run?

- Is there an archive site for comp.sys.laptops?  I only started reading
  c.s.l when I decided to buy one, and I need to catch up.

Thanks for any help,
-Bruce
--
Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

sean@cs.tamu.edu (Sean Graves) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.234349.6017@cerritos.edu> tanner@cerritos.edu writes:

>I bought a Toshiba T1000SE last week and have a few questions:
>
>- The display has an annoying whine; either it's gotten louder or I'm
>  getting more sensitive to it.  Is this normal?  Other than the noise,
>  I'm quite happy with the machine.

Yes, mine does it too.  I know someone else who bought their 1000SE when
it first came out and his display is even louder than mine.  If there is
any solution to this problem, I would be most interested.  Do other
backlit screens do this?  My whine is not noticable unless I am in a
quiet room - I probably wouldn't have heard it in a computer store.

>Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
>Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

--
Sean Graves         sean@cs.tamu.edu
Research Assistant, Texas A&M University

pwong@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.234349.6017@cerritos.edu> tanner@cerritos.edu writes:

>I bought a Toshiba T1000SE last week and have a few questions:
>
>- The display has an annoying whine; either it's gotten louder or I'm
>  getting more sensitive to it.  Is this normal?  Other than the noise,
>  I'm quite happy with the machine.

I have one of the earliest T1000SE (S/N 01xxxxxx).  And, the LCD screen is
very quiet.  Two months ago (a few days before exceptional care expired) I
sent it to Toshiba for service, which included replacing the screen.  The
new screen is much brighter and NOISIER than the original one.

So, the bottom line is that all the new T1000SE screen is just like that..
WHINE!  (Actually I remember another poster mentioned exactly the same
whine on his T1000SE.)

>Thanks for any help,

You are welcome!

>-Bruce
>--
>Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
>Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

Patrick Wong

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steven M. Knapp) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr23.234349.6017@cerritos.edu>, tanner@cerritos.edu writes:

>I bought a Toshiba T1000SE last week and have a few questions:
>
>- The display has an annoying whine; either it's gotten louder or I'm
>  getting more sensitive to it.  Is this normal?  Other than the noise,
>  I'm quite happy with the machine.

Yes the noise is a disadvantage of the EL backlighting. I thought the same
thing when I bought mine. Brought it back, complained a lot (ELEK-TEK salesmen
are not the greatest people in the world) and finally, after talking to a
manager, came to this conclusion: They went and got the display model, took
mine and another into a quiet room and is mine was louder I got a new one....
Well...mine was actually quiter than the display.....Yes it does get annoying
in perfectly quiet places...but otherwise I've gotten used to it. Perhaps
opening the screen and modifying the case might help?
BTW: there are large differences between T1000SE's. I know two others that have
them (one of which is rhoff@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu, HI ROB!) and the keyboards
all have a completely different feel......

>- Has anyone put Turbo C on the T1000SE?  The box says it needs a hard disk.
>  How much ram disk will it need to run?

Yep it will run...I have a working copy on two 1.44M HD3.5" disks...
A friend runs his on a 2x720K drive system..works but w/ lotsa disk swaping
during compiles. I am unshure of the version of turbo C and the exact files
on each disk.....the second of which is only nessicary during compiles that use
"weird" things......if anyone is intrested EMAIL me and I can get more info...
School ends 5/17.....

					sTEVE